Thread: Idle Control Valve

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328IS

Idle Control Valve

Can someone please tell me where this is located or post a pic of where i can see it, is it even something I can get to when I open the hood? *newbie

Josh

My Cars
    1996 328is, 1908 Buick, 1971 Holden HQ Monaro GTS-

ICV location

Hello Josh,
    The idle control valve is real easy to get to. I don't know what model you have but on E30's they're all pretty much in the same location here is a picture of my 89 325i.

Hope this helps,
    Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328IS
    thx a lot I found it and opened the screw up some more and now I no longer have any more shaking and my car doesnt act like its gonna stall out when im doin 40 down the street, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

My Cars
    96 M3, 86 Saleen Mustang, 96 FullSize Bronco
    good to see you turning wrenches... check your PM's
    96 Arctic Silver M3 - Kuhmo Estcas on Hartge Type D 18's, PAR Intake, Sharked, Elipsoids w/ Gen Iv HID Blue DDE's and smoke corners/SuperFog, TMS LTW flywheel & TME's, X-Brace, JT RSM's,ConeCam video gear & stealth mounted V1 w/ InV1siMirror,JT undertray, Motorsport rotors w/ Ferodo DS 3000 and 2500's, Bilstein Sports with Eibach's,SwayBarbarians & UUC SS Comp Evo SSK, SuperSprint exhaust and Schroth harness'es, JT brake ducts......Coming - front and rear JT braces...
    My name is Juan Pablo Montoya. You lapped my father. Prepare to die.

My Cars
    1992 325i Vert, R.I.P. '94 325i, R.I.P. 2001 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by rmn View Post
    Hello Josh,
    The idle control valve is real easy to get to. I don't know what model you have but on E30's they're all pretty much in the same location here is a picture of my 89 325i.

Hope this helps,
    Randy
    Thank you! I have been looking for a freaking picture like this for hours!
    Ich habe dich ausgefallen, Deutschland... R.I.P.: 1994 BMW 325i; 2001 BMW 325ci

My Cars
    86 325e Baur, 03 330xi
    holy thread revival batman! i cant believe there are over 1000 views and only 4 replies. what a shame.

My Cars
    89 325i

thank you

just finished pulling mine off - the surging idle has been driving me nuts. After it was off, checked it out clean as a whistle. but when I put back on - as soon I hook up the sensor - the surging idle returns. so i am cautiously optimistic that the ICV is shot. Now to find another one...

My Cars
    86 325e Baur, 03 330xi
    another holy thread revival batman!! lol

Yea, ICVs are basically hit or miss. After all these years, cleaning doesnt really seem to help. Ive never had luck cleaning them. They always get worse when i try to clean them. Luckily you can get good used ones on here, and brand new ones arent terribly expensive.

My Cars
    2012 328i, X5 1994 325iC

But...but, but

Quote Originally Posted by Rollen318i View Post
    thx a lot I found it and opened the screw up some more and now I no longer have any more shaking and my car doesnt act like its gonna stall out when im doin 40 down the street, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Your not supposed to turn any screws on the ICV.

Now I wonder what happens if you DO "adjust" one.