Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How Jim drives nicely..or how no good deed goes unpunished

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie

Exclamation How Jim drives nicely..or how no good deed goes unpunished

Once again BMW has shown its superior engineering in saving lives in the event of an accident.

Last night on the way home from dinner we (Jim -jsp98M3, Doug-uberpanzer, Jason-E30is4me, Rob-e21 323i, and I) were stopped at a traffic light in Escondildo minding our own, chatting away when the car exploded.

It took us all a few seconds to realize why there was suddenly so much light in the cabin...smoke...a burning smell...and gee is that the third brake light sticking out of my head?

We were struck from behind by an F150 truck being driven at an estimated speed of 60-65mph by a man who later blew nearly thrice the legal limit.

As we collected ourselves and checked each other out we made our way out of the car. A couple witnesses shouted "He's trying to run away!"

I asked which way then sprinted. I found him 'running' (as best a drunk can do) down the sidewalk. On approach I stuck my right arm out and clotheslined the guy from behind, came back, pushed him the rest of the way down with my hand and kicked him over onto his back.

I said a few words of disapproval, then Jim came up on us, straddled him and reiterated my comments with his own --along with reinforcing hand actions.

We dragged the drunk back to the scene and held him down until the arriving police could cuff him --felony DUI, felony hit-and-run, five counts of injury.

As for injuries, we're all pretty much okay. Jason got the worst of it with a truly magnificent shiner from the airbag. Doug had a minor cut to the forehead, Rob a possible dislocated shoulder, Jim a bag-slapped face and all I got was a nice goose egg from the third breaklight (and my right pec is sore from the encounter with our drunkard)

The car is virtually unrecognizable from the C pillars back. The crumple zones did their job and saved our lives, and even spared us from serious injury.

It's sad to see such a beautiful ///M go. It was an 05 Carbon Black SMG with less than 4k on the clock. In the end though it is just a car. We are all extremely happy to be able to joke and laugh about the scene with no major bodily harm.

We'll post pics as soon as we can get them uploaded. The damage is impressive and reaffirms my faith in the quality of our cars.
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    2011 335i M Sport
    Glad to hear you all made it alright. Video of tackling drunk or ban

My Cars
    93 240x fastback
    Wow glad to hear you are all alright, pretty amazing anything could take that large of a hit and allow the passengers to come out with little to no injury.

Mitch is offline for science, you monster Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    cars
    Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through that, but at least the guy didnt get away. He'll be out of the public eye for quite some time.

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    Pics will be up in less than an hour. These are from Josie's camera, mine will be up at some point tomorrow (if there are any better angles).

Sorry, no drunk tackling vid.

BTW, while Josie and Jim were running down the drunk, Rob was seeing to Jason in his dazed state. I was in the process of getting out of the back seat, and then had to sit and talk to the car for a while....REALLY!!! The car had BMW's SOS system, or whatever they call their version of On-Star. Since the airbags had deployed the '05 went through its routine of unlocking the doors, throwing on the 4 ways, checking its position via GPS, and dialed the 24hr Roadside Assistance, and patch the dispatcher through to the speaker phone in the car. The guy on the other end was trying to figure out what had happened and what kind of assistance if any we needed. I had him call for Emergency Services due to the injuries (Jason and myself so far) and the cops to deal with whatever had hit us.

It's odd though how Rob and I were the only ones in the car that can actually remember multiple SEPARATE impacts. He and I both remember the initial impact and then the front impact coupled with the airbags going off. There was then another jumble of impacts from the truck smacking us AGAIN since we don't think he ever let off the gas. Everyone else just seems to just remember a concussion grenade going off inside the car.

We were the second car waiting at the light and ended up halfway into the intersection by the time that everything came to rest. The car in front of us had been pushed into the intersection, but luckily not hit by any cross traffic. The lady in this car was fine, just very shook up.

I hate to sound like some BMW geek, but there will be at least one letter from me to BMW NA and Roundell about how this car saved our lives. This is now the second accident I've been in (both times not driving) where a BMW has saved my life. There is no doubt in my mind that had we been in a lesser car all three of us in the back seat would have been killed. The force of the impact was just insane.

....never a dull Friday night in San Diego County....
    Last edited by uberpanzer; 10-29-2005 at 06:55 PM.
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    And Katerina is back to being the queen bitch of the driveway

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyM
    On approach I stuck my right arm out and clotheslined the guy from behind, came back, pushed him the rest of the way down with my hand and kicked him over onto his back.

I hereby nominate Josie as BF.C Sheriff.

My Cars
    Yes
    SoCal just learned a VERY important lesson:

Do NOT mess with them Loozeyanna wimmens!! They will f[mess]k you up!!!

Way to go, Baby!!!

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    2010 E60
    NOOOOOOOO that car is beutiful... Im sorry to hear about that. That drunk driver will PAY for his supidity.
    2010 BMW 528i Green/Cream
    2009 Ford F150 White/Stone
    2008 VW Rabbit 2dr Gray/Antracite

My Cars
    BMW 96' 328i
    damn, that sucks what happened to the M3, everyone is ok at least. also, chicks beating up drunk drivers is hot, gj
    '96 Boston Green 328i.
    18x8 Mille Miglia II-3 Sport / Eibach Sportlines / Pro Dampers / K&N / Yokohama / Compustar
    BavAuto diffuser / clears / eyelids / M5 lip spoiler / wide shadow grills / M Technic kit

My Cars
    2017 340i
    ......quite possibly the most horrible pic I have ever seen, what a shame, I hate drunk drivers

Mitch is offline for science, you monster Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlanturn
    also, chicks beating up drunk drivers is hot
    Seriously, Josie, that was hot. High-five?

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Damn that's awful. I've been victim of a similar accident and I know just how freaky it is. Very glad you guys are ok.

My Cars
    325izzle
    I think Josie just earned BFC Moderatorship.

WOah its freaky to see how the back crunched but it stops exactly where the passenger cabin starts. Maybe you can use the money for an Mz4 or something now?...

Its always drunks who seem to hit people. Asshats

My Cars
    POS
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyM
    And Katerina is back to being the queen bitch of the driveway

Glad everyone is all right... I bet Jim will never look at that truck next to the BMW in the same light again (if that's an F150 as well)
    Sunny Skies

My Cars
    02 white m3
    i rode in that car to bimmerforums.... me and tim were in it when it broke the 1200 mile break in.

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    Fuck.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    97' 328is & yamaha r6
    damn saw jim's car just a couple months ago in pristine condition. Glad you are all fine.

Jim its time to save up for a new m5 or m6

My Cars
    '05 s2000
    You guys are awesome for dealing with the accident so well! Good job on catching the drunk. BMW should give you a new M3 or something for being model bimmer-drivers

Save it.

My Cars
    3 + moto
    I'm thankful that all of you managed to get the best possible outcome of that shitty situation. I thought that since no one suffered any critical injuries and assumed there must of only been two people since it sounded like the car was smashed in the back. My mouth just dropped when Doug told me that there were 5 of you in that car. And I'm glad that'll your all still here.

Did the guy even apologize or was he just in a drunken haze that entire time? He's lucky you were in a BMW otherwise it could have been another DUI fatality. I hope he gets the maximum sentence he can get.

My Cars
    M3/4
    Hey Josie,
    First a headlight, now the 3rd taillight...you get a sidemarker thrown at your head and you'll have a full set.
    Glad you guys are OK...for a bunch of crash test dummies....
    Last edited by hal9000; 10-29-2005 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast