Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between the Coupe & Sedan

My Cars
    328 1996iS

Question Differences between the Coupe & Sedan

Hi Everyone
    What are the differences between the Coupe and the Sedan? Is it just looks and number of doors?
    I noticed that the doors on the coupe looked different. I also have read here that the coupe is a bit lighter.
    But apart from that, are they the same?
    Does the coupe always come with the sport package?
    Speaking of sport package, what is it really? What is it one get with the sport package that is not on a regular car?
    Wow. Now I feel like a real newb, but I guess that is because that is what I am!
    Tobias
    Last edited by Tobias; 10-11-2005 at 12:18 AM.

My Cars
    96 BMW 328i
    i heard the 328 coupe and sedan weight the same.

taseal is offline Member Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    its pretty much the minor styling differences between the door, and the number of doors... they also say 4 doors handle better because they are a more rigid chassis... i believe this personally too
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    I <3 j00 cause your threads are win.

My Cars
    B7 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal
    its pretty much the minor styling differences between the door, and the number of doors... they also say 4 doors handle better because they are a more rigid chassis... i believe this personally too
    +1

My Cars
    95 M3, Dart 1.4 6spd
    the design of the tail lights and the corners as well. i also agree with the above statement with the saloons handling better than the coupes
    1994 332is 5 Speed Turbo

Mods: Built S52, Wiseco 8.5:1, Cometic MLS 87mm, M50 Manifold, South Bend Stage 5, UUC 12lb. Flywheel, Siemens 60# Injectors, Garrett GT3586R Turbo, SPA Turbo Manifold, Spearco FMIC, Umnitza Lighting, H&R/Powerflex Suspension. Synapse BOV, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, Defi Gauges, Apex ARC-8 18x8.5, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/40/18.

Soon: Roll Cage, Headliner, GReddy Profec B Spec 2, Apexi Turbo Timer

510whp/500wtq @ 18psi on 91 Craptane
    Tuned by Bret B @ Technica Motorsports

See all of the info about my car on my Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...304343&sk=info

My Cars
    1998 328i
    there's really not much difference between the two...they're pretty close. with the exception of the number of doors, and lights like people said as well as the front fender. The thing that makes the cars different in weight is the transmission.

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    Coupes are lighter and always handle better with more regidity, Hence why the M3 is a coupe.
    However on the more day/day coupes tend to have the piss pounded out of then on a daily basis far more often then dad driving kids to school does in the i.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

My Cars
    328 1996iS
    Thanks for responding! Never knew that about the handling. But I suppose it makes sense. What about the sports package? Is that important to get??

Tobias

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias
    Thanks for responding! Never knew that about the handling. But I suppose it makes sense. What about the sports package? Is that important to get??
    Tobias
    Sport package has stiffer spings (= better handeling not so much body roll as you see in my sig before the coil overs).

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

My Cars
    E36, W203
    sport package, comes with different wheel and sport seats

coupe and sedan has different trunk, i believe coupe curve up more and looks a bit better, more sporty

My Cars
    BEHM Wide Body E36 332i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrie
    Coupes are lighter and always handle better with more regidity, Hence why the M3 is a coupe.
    However on the more day/day coupes tend to have the piss pounded out of then on a daily basis far more often then dad driving kids to school does in the i.
    ummm, there are M3 sedans too. I dont think the weight difference is more that 30lbs. The Sedans are more rigid and handle better than the coupe. I drive my 325i sedan just as hard if not harder than my old 95 M3 coupe

Ok im done
    -Custom Widebody 332i-
    -Custom HRE wheels-

-Focal Audio:-
    Alpine PXA-H701+C701-
    -(2)Focal 33KX-
    -(2)Focal KP165 K3P Kits-
    -(2)Focal FP 1.800 Amps-
    -(2)Focal FP 2.150 Amps-
    -(3)Xenarc 7"TSV Touch LCD’s-

-PROJECT DETAILS-

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    Your wrong.
    Coupes have been proven more rigid many times in the past with the exception of Audi who just made a sickly rigid 4 door right from scratch (A4).
    M3 4 doors were not as rigid as coupes, it was a $$$ thing to create for what the public wanted at the time which wasn't hard for BMW to create since they pretty much just stiffed up an i hence why their isn't a 4 door "Sport" M3 or a csl model for the i.

My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    well as you can see, this is an ongoing debate with 2D and 4D... you can see 2 door owners will say 2 doors handle better, and 4 door owners will say 4 doors handle better.... best example would be rally racing and sometimes road racing... you will see 4 doors always racing, along with 2 doors... especially with rally... look at subaru, and evo for example... but there are always 2 doors racing too...

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    most of us couldn't feel the difference in handling between the 2D and 4D i do believe.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by beatniks325
    most of us couldn't feel the difference in handling between the 2D and 4D i do believe.
    very true

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i, 1996
    Both 2 and 4 door cars were competitive in DSP at solo2 nationals. So any handling/weight difference is small, extremely so.

But, the 2 doors do seem to weigh a little less, and being 1 inch lower, if true, is always a good thing.
    http://www.framesdirect.com/sunglasses/ - Sunglasses!
    1994 BMW 325i - GUTTED,
    AD shocks, eibach race springs, motorforce camberplates, stud conversion, and RTAB limiters, tunnel exauhst, CAI/chip, underdrive pullies, fan delete, AC delete, sparco race seats, 18x9 Superlegerras, GC swaybar, 2.8L engine with M50 intake manifold
    AND
    1996 BMW 328 - daily driver

My Cars
    2010 E60
    I believe the doors on the coupe are a little wider. And the headlights are a little thiner on the coupe.
    2010 BMW 528i Green/Cream
    2009 Ford F150 White/Stone
    2008 VW Rabbit 2dr Gray/Antracite

My Cars
    97 M3
    are the stiffer springs on the sport coupe interchangable with the sedan's?

I'm assuming that's where the difference in ride height lays.

My Cars
    BMW 318IS, VW Beetle, MGB Tourer
    don't know about the 4-door, but the coup&#233; has a 50%-50% weight distribution (front & rear)

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    hey how 'bout those compacts...
    -Chris

No Chrome on the Wheels, I'm a Baller for Real

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrie
    Your wrong.
    Coupes have been proven more rigid many times in the past with the exception of Audi who just made a sickly rigid 4 door right from scratch (A4).
    M3 4 doors were not as rigid as coupes, it was a $$$ thing to create for what the public wanted at the time which wasn't hard for BMW to create since they pretty much just stiffed up an i hence why their isn't a 4 door "Sport" M3 or a csl model for the i.
    Your'e wrong. How does the larger opening of the door area of a coupe lead to a more rigid design?

Although in the case of the Sedan being "stiffer" than the coupe.. I think this was disproved in a different thread which I cant seem to find now. While the Sedan may be more rigid.. it's not by any noticeable amount.

best example would be rally racing and sometimes road racing...
    In this case, the car itself really wouldnt matter because the cage that's going in would negate any differences between the 2D and 4D. The advantage here would most likely be that you could provide for way smaller openings in the cage design which would lead to a stronger cage.
    Last edited by magnetic1; 10-11-2005 at 02:47 PM.
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    93 Z71, 07 Civic, 88 GT
    My sedan > coupe?? even with my awesome 15inch spokes?? Sweet!! lol

6" Fabtech lift - 35" MT's - Locked 4.10s

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by IRoman
    My sedan > coupe?? even with my awesome 15inch spokes?? Sweet!! lol
    haha ill second that... My 4d handles really well but ive never gotten the tires screaming on a 2d how i have in my car...
    I love my 15"ers... Theyre <I>Pimp</I>

My Cars
    93 Z71, 07 Civic, 88 GT
    You know what is fun for me? Is taking unsuspected car or trucks around turns that are trying to pass you in an inside lane. I beat people all the time on outside lanes, when other people are braking Im still genlty accelerating.

BMW handling ownage!!

Oh another thing Ill say about my 15's...good tires are Cheap!!

6" Fabtech lift - 35" MT's - Locked 4.10s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast