Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just fixed my bubbling door panels, cheap and easy!

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54

Lightbulb Just fixed my bubbling door panels, cheap and easy!

The other day I went to a fabrics store and they had Feaux vinyl leather in black. It is almost a 100% match to the stock OEM door panel look.

I bought 2 yards of it and brought it home. Took my door panels off and carefully "ripped" the middle insert piece out. It takes about 10 mins on each side but if you take your time you won't get any rips or tears in it. After that pull the old bubbling material off, then sand it so it's all nice and smooth.

Now I had a nice smooth insert but it looks like crap so trace the shape of it onto the underside of the material but add 2 inches margin just incase and cut it out. I then spread industrial strength contact cement onto the door panel and the back of the material. Let both sit for 5 minutes in the sun and now it's ready to be applied.

Get a helper to hold the fabric up while you spread it onto the door panel. In the parts of the door panel that are exceptionally concave you need to stretch the material across or you will get wrinkles! It's very import the helper does a good job because once the 2 sides touch they are pretty much stuck and you're SOL then!

Finish spreading the material on and trim the excess and fold it over and glue it onto the backside of the panel. Cutout the door lever hole and side mirror switch hole with an x-acto knife and TADA! Done, brand new vinyl leather on your door panel that looks OEM!

I spent a total of $18 doing this on the feaux vinyl leather, 2 cheapo paint brushes and contact cement!

BTW don't use the GEL type of contact cement. It is way too thick and I tried using this the first time and it totally screwed up the panel. It made GLOBS of contact cement under the surface it looked like crap. That cost me 3 hours to clean that crap off and retry with the thinner industrial strength contact cement! Don't make the mistake I made it's a PITA to fix.

I'll post pics later I hope this info helps others. Buying used door panels for $500 is the only other option and I'm a cheap bastard, and this actually worked out very well!
    Last edited by ///M3GTR; 09-11-2005 at 05:58 PM.

My Cars
    03 Focus SVT
    Sounds like if you felt 'funky' enough, you could easily customize your door panels with some nice accent colors as well... (almost has me hoping my doors bubble so i can throw some hot pink plaid on there)

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54

Lightbulb Pics!

New vs Old material

Old material removed and panel sanded

Use wax paper as a barrier when applying the new material to the panel. It helps if you accidently let the material touch an area you are not working on! Start with the middle and work your way out.

Newly wrapped panel done!

Test fit into door panel, matches and looks great

Last edited by ///M3GTR; 09-11-2005 at 06:02 PM.

My Cars
    92 bmw 318is, 2001 bmw Z3
    Sweet Job! Well Done
    m3 bumpers, m3 sideskirts, m3 evo alloys, m3 mirrors, m rear spoiler, m door mouldings, m clubsport door sills, 96+ nose panel, m sports springs and suspension, clears all round, chromeline interior with dove grey leathers, digital climate controls, 96+ center vent, 7 button obc, 99 dashboad, 98 3 spoke m wheel, m3 padded leather door cards, auto dim rearview mirror, 98 interior map reading lights, rear bmw e36 PDC sensors, rear opening electric vents , fade out interior lights, new projects done 2006: black carpet, neon blue footwell lighting, harmon kardon sound system full install + hifi switch and 6 disk cd changer (whew big job), bmw engine bay light, completed full respray including door handles.

My Cars
    E36, W203

My Cars
    Hoopty
    This thread really doesn't do me any good, but I figured I'd drop in to say that I love your DIY tips, ///M3GTR.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Wow, nice work. Looks absolutely factory.

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '01 325i / 330ZHP clone
    awesome job!

My Cars
    93 325is
    nicely done i will be doing this project very soon as well.
    UUC|AC Schnitzer|AA|Ecis|Ground Control|Koni|H&R|Rieger|BMW Motorsport|Hamann|Pirelli

My Cars
    M3 all wood
    Wow its that easy? Look nice and clean.
    ///M3COSMOS

My Cars
    '93 325is
    where did you get the contact cement and how about drying time? Does it bond instantly? and how did you apply it? i need to do this project very badly my door panels look terrible.

My Cars
    1995 318I, 2003 525I
    Two thumbs up.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    what did you use to glue the insert back to the panel and where did you get it from?

My Cars
    2013 335i xdrive msport
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateDrivr
    what did you use to glue the insert back to the panel and where did you get it from?
    That's exactly what I was going to post. I would like to know that as well

Excellent job!
    ~Chris

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Damn that looks nice man. Best job I've seen.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnar
    where did you get the contact cement and how about drying time? Does it bond instantly? and how did you apply it? i need to do this project very badly my door panels look terrible.
    I got the contact cement at home depot. It was a quart and I us about 3/4 of it! I applied it with some cheap paintbrushes they have there also (after you're done the paint brushes are garbage from the glue). On the panel I did 2 coats letting it dry 5-10 minutes after I applied each coat in the sun. If you don't dry it in teh sun then 15-20 mins. On the fabric it will dry in 5 minutes since it is more porous. As soon as both sides touch they stick together.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateDrivr
    I also used contact cement to glue the panel back in place.

My Cars
    e30, X3, Z3... K1100rs
    Dude, you are the MAN!

I think your DIY just saved me about $400!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Moderators, this is a must-have DIY, right?

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Great job on those panels.. do you know how would I go about doing the entire door panel ? Like color change.. Mine are brown and the middle insert is tannish material.. Not vynil or leather.. Can the entire door panel be covered with material or would I have to paint them somehow ? I know this is kinda way out there but it does not hurt to ask.. Thanks for the great info and details..

My Cars
    '01 325ci
    Looks excellent bro. Everything looks perfect.

What brand and type was the cement that you used? Also was the backing on the vinyl pretty thick or thin? Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    maybe someone can help me remember. is there a difference on how the panels were put on the door from the older E36's versus the newer? something with the plastic clips or something. either that or I'm thinking from 2 door to 4 door.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    1992 325i
    The inserts on my panels have plastic clips melted on the back side to keep in place. They aren't held in with glue. Mine is a 4 door and a 92, so that could be the reason. I guess this means I can't do this....

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantisvip
    Great job on those panels.. do you know how would I go about doing the entire door panel ? Like color change.. Mine are brown and the middle insert is tannish material.. Not vynil or leather.. Can the entire door panel be covered with material or would I have to paint them somehow ? I know this is kinda way out there but it does not hurt to ask.. Thanks for the great info and details..
    Yes the whole door panel can be done in the same way. Same process and everything just bigger. It actaully shouldn't be much harder since most of it is flat/slow curves

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    I wonder with the contour of the rear quarter panels if this would work on the coupes. and when I’ve ever done any interior upholstering get 3M contact cement. Red can

My Cars
    2018 GMC 2500
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwhighroller
    The inserts on my panels have plastic clips melted on the back side to keep in place. They aren't held in with glue. Mine is a 4 door and a 92, so that could be the reason. I guess this means I can't do this....
    Same here...except half of the little clips have broken off mine. Guess I'll have to find a way to rig it up after I cover them.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325iS
    Awesome!
    Any idea of what material to use for the dove grey interior, anyone?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast