Thread: Latest in the M3 engine failure saga

My Cars
    everywhere

Latest in the M3 engine failure saga

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this yet. From some guy who's M3 SMG engine kicked it....

I had a conversation with a service guy (one of the guys in the business suits not the actual service tech). Background info: Grayson BMW just moved into their new multi-million dollar facility with a service dept that has 20+ lifts and stations. They did massive hiring in the last few weeks. On with story, the guy in the suit tells me he was working for BMWNA at their headquarters 3 weeks before and that he dealt with service/engineering investigations. He said that the unannounced investigated reason for all of the failures was due to the miscalibration of a tool in the engine production. The thing(I don't know the exact term) that bores out the space for the crankshaft was mismarking and boring the blocks. BMW did make a shift to the red bearings but the machine shop was supposed to make an adjustment to the production line to accommodate this change in bearing tolerances. So, they were installing what should have been an effective change of bearings but, the block machining was not changed like it should have been during the switch. So the bearings/crankshaft/block were mismatched and not the correct size for each other. After discovering the major defect, BMW decided that it was easier/cheaper to change the type of bearing used rather than alter boring process, thus back to yellow...this time with 10W-60 weight instead of 10W-30.

Source: http://forums.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...540790&page=10

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    figures the tool would be calibrated wrong... it was all that partying they did after octoberfest in germany... guess the guy who was in charge of the calibration was still hung over from the night before...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    : at Kev, either that or it was calibrated Friday night at 5pm...

My Cars
    None
    They should've just hand built these M engines like what they did to the S14 and S38!

My Cars
    everywhere
    What I REALLY want to know is if they're still using the different bearing fix or have properly adjusted their manufacturing process for the 2003 models. I assume they have (foolishly?) but dammit I want it confirmed!

Basically, is my new M3 going to have a band-aid or what?

Bueller? BMW? Bueller?

My Cars
    Lots
    You guys are missing the point.

Remember my rantings about going with very thin oils and the effect on the bearings? Bueller? Anyone?

If what is posted above is true, the factory is covering up a production problem with a mismatched bearing and thick oil. Thick oil. Thick oil....

And what do all of the people want to do to get more HP? ANd what do all the non-engineers tell them that's it's ok to do?

These motors are invariably going to be grenading down the line. No thank you BMW. I'll pass.

My Cars
    everywhere
    I think I remember those rants, with Bob? Oil & Jesus?

Provided the 10W-60 oil is used religously and the bearing issue has been corrected what else are you getting at Jim?

Are you just questioning the overall design of the bearing area? As in a loss of oil pressure situation and an already questionable design failing very easily.

My Cars
    Lots
    I don't think that 10W-60 is feasible. People will put in lighter weights. If for no other reason than it isn't available at Jiffy Lube and Pep Boys on a reliable basis. They should have fixed the problem the right way. People are going to run 5W-30 and 0W-30 in it because their friends will tell them it's ok. There's going to be failures related to oil.

Assuming this is true information.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by jsp98m3
    I don't think that 10W-60 is feasible. People will put in lighter weights. If for no other reason than it isn't available at Jiffy Lube and Pep Boys on a reliable basis. They should have fixed the problem the right way. People are going to run 5W-30 and 0W-30 in it because their friends will tell them it's ok. There's going to be failures related to oil.

Assuming this is true information.
    Good point... 10W-60 oil is definitely not your everyday brand.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    everywhere
    Assuming the bearing issue has been resolved correctly, shouldn't the new engines be able to tolerate subspec oil safely? (to some degree) I'm not saying lets go throw in some 30 weight, but the new engines should run fine now since they're not relying on the grade of oil to be a 'band-aid' anymore. :wishfulthinking:

I still wish I could get some BMW engineer to indicate that they have indeed altered their machining process. Even a cryptic, "The wound has healed and the band-aid is in the garbage." would satisfy me.

Me, I'm stocking up on the spec Castrol...

My Cars
    Lots
    If the sticker still says 10W-60, they didn't fix it, they covered it up with oil. I'm not saying I'm willing to buy into this story. but if it's true.... Dayyum!

My Cars
    everywhere
    Yeah, I'm not sure if the new oil spec has changed, I'll have to be nosy next time I'm at the dealer.

bf.c need's a spy in BMW's engineering groups. Wow, it's sad when customers need to resort to industrial espionage to service their cars...

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by dysphunxion
    Yeah, I'm not sure if the new oil spec has changed, I'll have to be nosy next time I'm at the dealer.
    i just wish the dealer's knew their elbow from their ass...

My Cars
    Pieces of 128
    Stop me if I'm getting this backwards here, but woudn't you want thinner oil to get into all the nooks and crannies the heavier stuff wouldn't get in to? Particularly if the mismatched engine made the tolerances a lot closer than they were supposed to be?

Agreed it sounds like a complete mess. And the car's too heavy -- oops.

Andy Chittum -- Lemans Karting | BTM Motorwerks NASA Spec e30 | US Touring Car | Racecarnology Blog

My Cars
    Lots
    The heavier oil will adhere inside the journals more and give the parts more cushion. At least once it's pumped into there.

I just picked up my car last week (production dated 6/2002). The owner's manual, and everywhere else oil is discussed, states that Castrol 10w-60 should be used. I can't find this anywhere! Also, I'm a little confused with Jim's comment of " If the sticker still says 10W-60, they didn't fix it, they covered it up with oil". What exactly needs to be fixed?

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    i wonder how much of a killing BMW is planning by forcing all future and current E46 M3 owners to buy "BMW" brand 10w60.

Last I checked, Pep Boys doesn't carry Castrol 10w60.

I wonder if Amsoil has a solution? Anybody?

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by themadhatter
    I wonder if Amsoil has a solution? Anybody?
    Will call tomorrow and see what their engineers say...

My Cars
    '01 M Roadster
    Just wondering, how is BMW keepin this info about grenading engines out of the press? You think the press would be all over this like the '01? Cobra not makin enough power....