BAVToys

View Poll Results: What do you think of this write-up and modification?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great modification and write-up!

147 70.00%
  • Great modification but okay write-up.

12 5.71%
  • Great modification but horrible write-up.

0 0%
  • Okay modification but great write-up.

14 6.67%
  • Okay modification and write-up.

4 1.90%
  • Okay modification but horrible write-up.

1 0.48%
  • Pointless/bad modification but great write-up.

8 3.81%
  • Pointless/bad modification but okay write-up.

2 0.95%
  • Pointless/bad modification and write-up.

5 2.38%
  • No comment.

17 8.10%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: E36 DIY Remote Angel Eye Fade On/Off PICTURES & VIDEO!

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6

E36 DIY Remote Angel Eye Fade On/Off PICTURES & VIDEO!

Hey all!

After stumbling on this thread (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...72#post4870072) I decided to do a more complete write-up with detailed instructions and pictures as I could not really understand what was going on in that thread. I also realized that this is, BY FAR, the coolest modification aesthetically and electronically.

The purpose of this modification is for the angel eye rings to fade on when the interior lights go on and for the angel eye rings to fade off when the interior lights go off. Since I have an aftermarket alarm, this is considered a "remote" feature.

You do NOT have to have an alarm nor angel eyes to utilize this write-up. You could have your city lights fade on/off whenever you unlock/lock your vehicle with your key as well. The possibilities are endless.

Anyway, without further ado, here is what you need:

- Wire stripper (I prefer using scissors)
    - 4 male connectors (one pink, one blue, preferably)
    - 1 female connector (pink, preferably)
    - 3 wire taps
    - 1 diode (I used a 2.5A 1000V one - 3pk @ Radio Shack $1.69)
    - 3-4 feet of electrical tape (NOT PICTURED)
    - electrical tape or heat shrink & lighter (NOT PICTURED)
    - crimper
    - screwdriver (Philips - standard size "+")
    - voltmeter (just in case)

*ALL PICTURES ARE RESIZED TO 60%! IF YOU WANT LARGER PICTURES, PLEASE EMAIL ME: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net "

I realized, after completing this project, that you do NOT need the two pink pairs of male/female connectors (center left in picture). In case you do not know, pink colored connectors are for smaller gauge wires whereas blue are for larger gauge wires. I'd recommend pink throughout unless you're combining two wires into one connector.

I arranged the connectors and wire taps in essentially the format you're going to be replicating (minus the two PAIRS of pink connectors).

Since I had everything above, the only thing I had to purchase for this DIY was the diodes. Total cost ~$2.00.

Summary: What you're basically going to be doing is connecting the two wires going to each side of the parking lights (i.e., your angel eyes) with one wire and connecting that wire to the positive wire of your footwell light (or dome light for you older model BMWs). It's pretty much as simple as that.

Here's a picture of my Bentley Repair Manual electrical diagram in case anyone was curious as to what I'm doing:

First off, remove the three screws holding the panel above the pedals. One is to the left of the steering wheel, another to the right, and the third is underneath on the left side (see pictures below). While doing that, remove that one screw holding the light switch in place (see first picture):

Last edited by clumpymold; 09-06-2005 at 03:42 AM.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    After you remove all the screws, grasp the left side of the panel and pull slightly outward away from the car. You'll see this plastic tab which holds the panel in place:

You'll then see this mess:

Now unplug (i.e., by squeezing) the black and white connectors plugged into whatever that funky circular thing is . Pull the plug connected to the footwell light (black plug) and disconnect your OBDII connector (if you have one). Pull panel towards the driver's seat and set panel aside.

Now gently pull the headlight switch out. What you'll see behind is one white plug for the fog lights and a round black plug for the main headlight switch (see picture below). Squeeze the white plug and disconnect. Remove the round plug by turning counter-clockwise (when facing the plug as if you were IN the dash). Set entire swith and vent aside.

What you're looking for are TWO wires. One is GRAY/VIOLET and the other is GRAY/YELLOW. I found it is MUCH easier to gain access to these wires by sliding the round plug down towards the footwell light and pulling it out from there. Now once you get those two wires out, use two wire taps, one on each wire and connect them using another wire and a MALE connector on each end of that wire (I used two separate wires instead combined into one blue male connector instead and my GRAY/YELLOW wire already happened to have a connector from a previous install so ignore that). Then add another wire tap at the center of that new wire.

What I normally do when using wire taps is I make a tiny slit in the wire to increase the connection and then crimp the tap to that (see below).

Using a longer piece of wire (~2-3'), crimp a male connector on one side and a female connector on the other side. Plug the male side into the open/free wire tap above (at the center of the wire connecting the two wires). For the female side, you're going to use a DIODE to prevent the interior lights from coming on when using your parking lights. I used a FEMALE connector on the CATHODE side (grey stripe) and a MALE connector on ANODE side. BEFORE crimping the connectors, slide a piece of heat shrink over it (these suckers get HOT!) or you can use electrical tape afterwards. Connect as follows (the diode in the picture below has blue connectors because I already heat shrunk the diode I was going to use - so use PINK connectors as the diode's wires are pretty thin):

Finally, add another wire tap to your POSITIVE (i.e., RED) wire connected to your footwell light (I used the long one that is attached to my lighted door sills since they were easier to access). Connect your diode (male connector) to this wire tap. Now plug the headlight switch back in and close your door. Test and make sure this modification works. Turn on your parking lights and make sure your interior lights do NOT go on. Arm/lock and disarm/unlock. If all works well, tuck the wires away carefully and replace the panel. Install is reverse of removal.

Here is a wiring schematic created by "olsen185" also in post #34 of this thread:

After all is done, admire your work (right-click, save file as):

Remote Angel Eye fade on/off!!!

UPDATE!!! Here's a link a member on here (Proteus) created for this file:

http://www.klamakazi.com/movies/AngelFade.mov

My right side ring is slightly dim (a weak connection). I was too lazy to fix this. Will do this later but you get the point. The sound you hear is from my two-way remote and NOT my car.

In order for me to continue to spend time creating these write-ups, please leave feedback and comments in this thread.

If you guys have any questions, please either post in this thread or email me (NO PMS!!!): clumpymold@sbcglobal.net
    Last edited by clumpymold; 10-06-2008 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    awesome just awesome

also do you have a thread on get your corners to blink with the alarm setting?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by SAOSIN CA
    awesome just awesome

also do you have a thread on get your corners to blink with the alarm setting?
    Thank you!

Nope, no write-up for that. I had my alarm installed while I got my tint done. I did this on my previous car, though. You'd have to look at your alarm's manual and tap the proper wire from the "brain" of the alarm's arm/disarm wire to the parking lights. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Every alarm is different.

My Cars
    its cool thanks anyways.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    OT, clumps, I just sawe your CarDomain page, and OMG It's seriously one of the best E36's I've seen! You really need a sig to show that thing off!

Nice write up btw

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur
    OT, clumps, I just sawe your CarDomain page, and OMG It's seriously one of the best E36's I've seen! You really need a sig to show that thing off!

Nice write up btw
    Haha, thank you for your kind words. I had a sig with my car in it. But I needed a change. I'm horrible at photoshop so it's basically whoever can do one for me.

Okay, I'll change the picture now.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    noice! If you pm me a pic, I'll make you one tomorrow I'm friggin tired now...

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur
    noice! If you pm me a pic, I'll make you one tomorrow I'm friggin tired now...
    How do I "PM" you a picture? If you like any particular picture in my sig link, just use that one. If you can list some of my "major" mods, that'll be awesome.

Thanks again!

clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)
    Okay, wait a second. If it comes on with the dome lights, does that mean that it turns off with the dome lights when the alarm isn't engaged? If I unlock the doors and disengage the alarm to turn them on, it means I'm going to be driving, and I want them to stay on after I get in and turn on the car, and not turn off until I set the alarm again. Is that what they do, or what?
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 528i 5speed: Sold

"Success is a series of great decisions backed by action."

"Cowards never start, the weak quit along the way and only the strong survive"

"Success is when opportunity and preparedness meet."

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahheck01
    Okay, wait a second. If it comes on with the dome lights, does that mean that it turns off with the dome lights when the alarm isn't engaged? If I unlock the doors and disengage the alarm to turn them on, it means I'm going to be driving, and I want them to stay on after I get in and turn on the car, and not turn off until I set the alarm again. Is that what they do, or what?
    I'm a little confused. If you wire it up properly the rings will light up whenever your interior lights go on. They will go off whenever your interior lights go out. Simple as that.

If you turn on your parking lights, they will also go on.

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)
    ahh, now I'm following you. thanks for the clarification.
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 528i 5speed: Sold

"Success is a series of great decisions backed by action."

"Cowards never start, the weak quit along the way and only the strong survive"

"Success is when opportunity and preparedness meet."

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahheck01
    ahh, now I'm following you. thanks for the clarification.
    No problem! Are you going to do this on your 5 series? I wonder if that will work and how different, if any, it is compared to the 3 series.

My Cars
    Yes
    Can you do this same thing only with City lights and not angel eyes?

My Cars
    94 325 always in pieces
    So whenever I open up my car, with the dome lights on, it could turn on whatever exterior lights I wire it up to? Headlights, corners, etc. Also how do I change it to a movie? When I open up the folder by right-clicking then properties it is locked where I could normally change the address, maybe I could try making it a shortcut?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by infamous
    Can you do this same thing only with City lights and not angel eyes?
    Of course. You can have your fog lights turn on if you want. It's all up to you.

Read first post.

Quote Originally Posted by NHbmw325I
    So whenever I open up my car, with the dome lights on, it could turn on whatever exterior lights I wire it up to? Headlights, corners, etc. Also how do I change it to a movie? When I open up the folder by right-clicking then properties it is locked where I could normally change the address, maybe I could try making it a shortcut?
    Yep, see reply above.

Change the file to a movie? Well, you'll need to enable your computer to view extensions (it's OFF by default - stupid WinXP being designed for idiots ). Just rename the file extension (pressing F2) from .jpg to .mov. Unless someone here has a server for me to upload the video, my site only allows me to upload pictures (.jpg).

Hope that helps!

My Cars
    99'323is (sold), 00' EM1
    Wait so you tapped the gray/yellow wire and the purple/gray wire INTO the red wire?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by DienNguyen
    Wait so you tapped the gray/yellow wire and the purple/gray wire INTO the red wire?
    So to speak. I ran a wire from the gray/yellow and gray/violet wires and connected that to the red wire. But I also ran a diode in that wire to prevent the power from going to the interior lights when the parking lights were activated. Make sense?

My Cars
    1994 BMW M3 Coupe
    Perfect if visibly it is only rims of the angle eyes that light up. But I am definitely gonna do this when my Chromium arrives. All credit goes to you!
    Everything I'm not, made me everything I ///M.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by purepump
    Perfect if visibly it is only rims of the angle eyes that light up. But I am definitely gonna do this when my Chromium arrives. All credit goes to you!
    Thank you!

My Cars
    a car
    Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold
    Change the file to a movie? Well, you'll need to enable your computer to view extensions (it's OFF by default - stupid WinXP being designed for idiots ). Just rename the file extension (pressing F2) from .jpg to .mov. Unless someone here has a server for me to upload the video, my site only allows me to upload pictures (.jpg).

Hope that helps!
    Would someone mind explaining this a bit better? I tried it at home on XP and again in the office on 2000 and all it's doing is renaming the file as PICT9353.mov.jpg.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by sdc
    Would someone mind explaining this a bit better? I tried it at home on XP and again in the office on 2000 and all it's doing is renaming the file as PICT9353.mov.jpg.
    It's because Windows, by default, will "Hide Extension for known file types". So when you rename it by adding something at the end, it'll just add it at the end.

To enable this, go to your My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, then UNCHECK the box that says "Hide Extension...". THEN try renaming it.

Otherwise, you can try opening your video player and dragging that file into it. I think that should work too.

Good luck!

My Cars
    a car
    grazi.

That is awesome. I'd seriously think about doing that when I get around to upgrading my headlights.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    looks good man! not something i'd do because i dislike DDEs to begin with, but nice work!!

My Cars
    2008 M3 Sedan - 5spd
    I have done this...only complaint is that the "fade out" kind of sucks -- it fades a little and then just goes out. Not a complete fade out.

Also, one of my rings is dim when they come on -- its ok when the car is on...i guess there isnt enuf power w/o the car on to light them all brightly.

Easy mod though.
    ///bitchincamaro

2008 M3 Sedan 5spd - Jerez Black on Black
    2000 328i

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast