Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TT Stage 1 is installed Dyno'd and runs great!!!!

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2000 Taupe Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

TT Stage 1 is installed Dyno'd and runs great!!!!

Well after a few snags (one bad turbo) and a mechanic with the learning curve for the BMW world and FI, I finally have my car back and it is running great! Dyno'd 318 rwhp SAE at my elevation of 5600 ft. That was with 8 lbs boost. He was having trouble getting a good torque reading, so not sure what it is yet. Anyone out there with dyno knowledge know the best place to tap in and get a good torque reading?

As far as driving the car goes, it is amazing!!! I love the sound of the turbo spooling up and the sound of the blow off valve!!!! Big grins!!!!

I do have an issue with the AC though. When stopped in traffic it gets to be warm and eventually HOT air. I also loose cool air when I am getting on it. It has been 100 degrees here lately, so not sure if it is jsut having trouble keeping up, or if the intercoooler is blocking the airflow now. Has anyone with a turbo'd E36 had this problem? When I am moving at normal speeds, it is fine and cold. It also seems to be not as cold when I turn on recycled air??? which is always colder......

Thoughts??
    2003 BMW M3 - White with black leather and black suede inserts. UUC Rasp-X pipe and UUC sway bars, Alpine IPOD deck with Focal speakers front and rear and a 12" MTX sub in the trunk, all run by a JL Audio 5 channel amp. Other than that, stock at this point, but I am working on it!
    My Other Ride: 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Use to have a '97 M3, Estoril blue with Technique Tuning Turbo....wrecked it

My Cars
    A black rollerskate
    Congrats on getting the kit installed! Ill def have to check the car out next time I see you. Nice dyno numbers for this elevation too.

My Cars
    97 Dinan sc m3/4...00 MZ3...05 EVO
    Congrats!
    I think computer cut off a/c on full throttle.
    How long did u wait to get the kit from nick?
    sushi sushi!

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Definately good dyno results considering the elevation (170rwhp NA uncorrected, 277rwhp 8psi uncorrected).

Regarding the AC, is the electric fan turning on when the AC is turned on? If so, maybe the system wasn't recharged enough (or properly) after the new line was installed.
    Nick Glantzis
    2005 330i ZHP auto with Technique Tuning turbo kit (currently For Sale)

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    318 rwhp...what would that equate to at sealevel??? and was it a mustang dyno or dynojet??? anyhow congrats on the install...how was tuning done anyway?

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    97 M3 99 Z3M
    318whp is what it would equate to at sea level. The car dynoed 277whp uncorrected. Many people believe that the SAE correction doesn't make up for the elevation change though.
    1997 M3
    1999 Z3 M Coupe - Turbocharged

My Cars
    97 M3 99 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG
    Definately good dyno results considering the elevation (170rwhp NA uncorrected, 277rwhp 8psi uncorrected).

Regarding the AC, is the electric fan turning on when the AC is turned on? If so, maybe the system wasn't recharged enough (or properly) after the new line was installed.
    Nick, is the A/C system changed with the installation of your kit??
    1997 M3

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVANT123
    Nick, is the A/C system changed with the installation of your kit??
    One line is replaced to make room for the 3" inlet pipe. The new line is included with the kit.
    Nick Glantzis

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    318whp is what it would equate to at sea level. The car dynoed 277whp uncorrected. Many people believe that the SAE correction doesn't make up for the elevation change though.
    I'm one of those 'misbelievers'. That's why I mentioned the uncorrected dyno results in my post. Getting an accurate conversion from high-altitude runs to sea-level is hard enough. Then throwing in variables like the addition of boost makes it damn near impossible.

In my mind, eliminating variables makes things easier. While using uncorrected numbers (from tests done on different days) isn't ideal, at least it eliminates any possible error caused by the dyno's inability to compensate for boost changes.
    Nick Glantzis

My Cars
    97 M3 99 Z3M
    One line is replaced to make room for the 3" inlet pipe. The new line is included with the kit.
    Bummer, so the system has to be recharged after the install?
    1997 M3

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Bummer, so the system has to be recharged after the install?
    Yup.
    Nick Glantzis

My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    ooooo i dindt see that he put SAE, so 318 about at sea level...nick whats the max some1 has gotten out of your stage 1 so far, 340ish??

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    2007 Audi A3 DSG, Sold-Blown estoril M3
    318 seems a little low for 8 psi even at see level. There are s/c superchargers making that kind of #'s on 8psi. My RMS kit on 8# made 317 rwhp. Turbo should be more, no drag and full boost througout the rpm range.

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Quote Originally Posted by z3speed4me
    ooooo i dindt see that he put SAE, so 318 about at sea level...nick whats the max some1 has gotten out of your stage 1 so far, 340ish??
    368rwhp: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=284664
    Nick Glantzis

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Juker is making 368 on the stage 1 kit and I know he is still on the S52 manifold. I dunno if there is another TT Stage 1 higher than that or not.

Edit: beat me to it
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo97M3
    He was having trouble getting a good torque reading
    He has to take off the spark plug cover and tap there.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownM3
    318 seems a little low for 8 psi even at see level. There are s/c superchargers making that kind of #'s on 8psi. My RMS kit on 8# made 317 rwhp. Turbo should be more, no drag and full boost througout the rpm range.
    Yup, I agree.

Actually, if you take a look at Colo97M3's NA results, shown here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=366262

He got 159rwhp uncorrected (I was obviously mistaken above when I quoted 170rwhp), which the dyno corrected to 220rwhp. That's a whopping 38% correction factor!!! (which I don't believe).

So if you take his uncorrected post-turbo results, let's lowball it at 270rwhp, and use the same correction factor of 1.38, we get 370+rwhp (which again, I don't believe).

If you compare uncorrected to uncorrected numbers, you'll see that the car is making great power *for the elevation that it's at*.
    Nick Glantzis

My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    wow 368 is pretty damn nice for the stage 1...

so all the guys that get your TT kit send their cars to florida huh? geeze i wish you were closer up north for next year...

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    so all the guys that get your TT kit send their cars to florida huh? geeze i wish you were closer up north for next year...
    Nope....the vast majority have been installed by either the car owners or other shops.
    Nick Glantzis

My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    i guess the part that confuses me is i know u are insane with the tuning...but how do you do it without the car in your hands??? each car is an individual and must be dealt with differently, so the part i dont understand is how you do that, i guess i got lost somewhere in the past like year when this was explained sometime...

<---- feels like an idiot right now

My Cars
    WOW! I go to lunch, come back and 19 posts! Yeah I was a little let down at the 318 SAE, but Nick said it was great for my elevation. I still want to know what it would put out comapred to Nick's test vehicle in FL that got 343 rwhp. The Dyno is a Dyno Dynamics from Australia which I guess is always a little on the low side as well. I would say the 318 is very conservative.

Correction too on my NA numbers it was 170rwhp uncorrected, not the 159 I posted originally. So went from 170rwhp NA uncorrected to the 277 rwhp uncoreccted at the 5600 ft elevation here in Boulder.

So Nick, as for my AC, how would I know if it was fully charged correctly or in-correctly? With this heat, it sucks for it to stop working when I get to a light.
    2003 BMW M3 - White with black leather and black suede inserts. UUC Rasp-X pipe and UUC sway bars, Alpine IPOD deck with Focal speakers front and rear and a 12" MTX sub in the trunk, all run by a JL Audio 5 channel amp. Other than that, stock at this point, but I am working on it!

My Cars
    Yup, I agree.

Actually, if you take a look at Colo97M3's NA results, shown here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=366262

He got 159rwhp uncorrected (I was obviously mistaken above when I quoted 170rwhp), which the dyno corrected to 220rwhp. That's a whopping 38% correction factor!!! (which I don't believe).

So if you take his uncorrected post-turbo results, let's lowball it at 270rwhp, and use the same correction factor of 1.38, we get 370+rwhp (which again, I don't believe).

If you compare uncorrected to uncorrected numbers, you'll see that the car is making great power *for the elevation that it's at*.
    Nick, So the correction from 170 to 220 you don't believe? Too much of an increase? That correction factor is something to do with the elevation here right? What do you think it should be? I was thinking when I got this kit and had the S50 manifold already that I would have corrected numbers at or a little above your test vehicle of 343 rwhp. I was using 91 octane on 8 lbs boost, you said yours was 93 octane at sea level with 8 lbs boost right?

My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    well 93 octane will obviously pull more power then 91...like race will always pull more then even sunoco ultra 94...

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    well 93 octane will obviously pull more power then 91...like race will always pull more then even sunoco ultra 94...
    higher octane allows for more headroom in tuning to bring out the power,

so 318 on 91 octane at 8psi, then compare that to 368 on 93 octane at 9psi.... I can see that, but then again the 318 is a little sketchy (because of big correction factors) and hard to make a comparison as Nick stated.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Could you post an image of this line?

Did you reverse engineer the DME code yourself?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast