Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Tumbler spins

My Cars
    660 Raptor

Lightbulb Ignition Tumbler spins

Here is the deal to save you money !
    To remove the ignition tumbler, line up the key in the "ACC" position around 2:00. Use a heavy straightened paper clip and push it through the little 1/2 moon slot next to the key, (the tool they use is no more than 3 inches long and looks like a paperclip wire with a plastic handle.)
    This should release the tumbler making you able to pull the the key and assembly including the titanium ring out. The new one (90.00) snaps back in. You do not have to remove the housing from the column !
    Lar
    Last edited by M3fun43; 07-07-2005 at 05:58 PM.

My Cars
    660 Raptor
    The Broken and the New (notice the little tab missing on the one on the left)

My Cars
    660 Raptor
    Key in the "ACC" position and the slot

My Cars
    660 Raptor
    Paperclip
    allows release of this catch

My Cars
    660 Raptor
    With the clip in the open position the key and ignition tumbler will come out !!!
    Pull hard and wiggle

clean out with air ( I put in some grease) and slide the new tumbler in.

Prior to this you will need to remove the transmitter harness and steering cowl. The plastic transmitter harness ring actually pulls (pry) off, if it breaks it's a 21.00 part from BMW.

Enjoy the 400.00 for MODS !
    Could a an Admin copy this to the DIY section ?
    Last edited by M3fun43; 07-07-2005 at 05:56 PM.

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    I had to do that also ....fun fun fun
    CARS: Alpine Weiss II 92' 325is coupe 5spd w/ ACS CS widebody kit (SOLD)

95' daytona violet M3 and 95' Boston Green M3... both 5spd cars.

My Cars
    660 Raptor

Angry

Don't do this

My Cars
    2001 M3, 2014 X5
    So will I need to get new keys for this also?

My Cars
    660 Raptor
    No you have to order the tumbler from the dealer and it is made to fit your car specifically. It took them 2 days to get in from Kty. Gotta love the guys at Otto's BMW!

My Cars
    2001 M3, 2014 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by M3fun43
    No you have to order the tumbler from the dealer and it is made to fit your car specifically. It took them 2 days to get in from Kty. Gotta love the guys at Otto's BMW!
    Thats not bad for $90 if it already fits your key...

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    ya it took me about a week to get my new lock cylinder from germany...but now that I have everything done including the ignition switch and lock cylinder housing (which I reccomend you replace also)everything is Golden and makes me feel alot more secure.

My Cars
    early 92 325i E36
    I fussed with that stupid thing til my hair was falling out and finally settled for a push button. I will never drive a car without one again. I know someday my car will break break beyond my ability to fix and I'll bring it to my mechanic and he will punch me in the face for doing that. But ohh well, I don't like him very much anyway, so there.

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    I've had my ignition tumbler spin completely around a few times, and then eventually I'll get it to catch and crank up properly.

Will it ever get to a point where it won't catch and it just spins and spins, leaving me unable to start the car? In other words, should I replace it as soon as possible, or is it just an intermittent annoyance?

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Paperclip
    allows release of this catch
    Maybe you should finish drying off you car next time before you delve into a DIY!

Dan

My Cars
    660 Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by dmurray14
    Maybe you should finish drying off you car next time before you delve into a DIY!

Yeah it was raining out, I had the part and got the need to get it together.
    I was about to start and I took the timeout to take pics for you guys.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Yeah it was raining out, I had the part and got the need to get it together.
    I was about to start and I took the timeout to take pics for you guys.
    I was kidding around.
    Dan

My Cars
    E30 Coupe, E36 Sedan
    Hey I have an e30 but it is the same process to remove the ignition, however I don't have the keys. Does anyone have any idea how to remove it without the key?? If I get the ignition out I can get it to the locksmith and have new keys made for just $30, however if I get him to come to me with the ignition still in it's $250 - crazy.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracer
    I've had my ignition tumbler spin completely around a few times, and then eventually I'll get it to catch and crank up properly.
    Will it ever get to a point where it won't catch and it just spins and spins, leaving me unable to start the car? In other words, should I replace it as soon as possible, or is it just an intermittent annoyance?
    Oh God, this just happened to me two weeks ago and $636.82 later. I had to get my car towed to the dealer and it was there for THE WHOLE TWO WEEKS. My old key wouldn't work with any of the new ignition tumbler's they had ordered from germany. They finally had to get me a new key out of California. This was a huge hassle, at least I got to drive a 05 325xi loaner car though for a week

Wish I had seen this DIY though two weeks ago That could of been money for new ZKW's.

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328isguy81
    Oh God, this just happened to me two weeks ago and $636.82 later. I had to get my car towed to the dealer and it was there for THE WHOLE TWO WEEKS. My old key wouldn't work with any of the new ignition tumbler's they had ordered from germany. They finally had to get me a new key out of California. This was a huge hassle, at least I got to drive a 05 325xi loaner car though for a week
    Wish I had seen this DIY though two weeks ago That could of been money for new ZKW's.

ya that sucks man I had a write up I did last year....it cost me a hell of alot less than 6 bills too I think everything came out to be like 280 and that was with a new lockcylinder housing, ignition switch, and lock cylinder that was keyed to my original key from bmw... sorry to hear you got shafted from the stealer

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    way to show everyone how to steal a bmw lol

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    and i was kidding so dont flame me.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    I was at the dealer yesterday and they finished installing my fuel filter they told me there was a problem with my car. He said the mechanic went to start the car and it just kept spinning. But luckily they had they part and they could fix it for $400.00. I complained since they broke it, but they said it wasn't there fault. So $537.00 later I went home.
    I am a Currahee, I stand alone 1/506th INF

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Uh I would have been pissed. Mine spins everynow and then. Its just a matter of pulling the key out and making sure you put it all the way in so it seats well. THere was probably nothing wrong with your old one. Do you have two differnt sets of keys now for the doors and the ignition?

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by leedawg
    Uh I would have been pissed. Mine spins everynow and then. Its just a matter of pulling the key out and making sure you put it all the way in so it seats well. THere was probably nothing wrong with your old one. Do you have two differnt sets of keys now for the doors and the ignition?
    No. I only have one key for the entire car. I need to get a spare key.
    I am a Currahee, I stand alone 1/506th INF

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport, i3 REX
    Okay, so I'm tackling this today (my key came out of the ignition with the car running). As I try to get the tumbler out the cotter pin just doesn't seem to move anywhere and the tumbler stays put. Unfortunately my key won't move the key slot (obviously) so is it posible I'm in the wrong key position to properly remove the tumbler? And if so, am I screwed?

I'm going to run out and get the steering lock (and ring antenna since I broke that) but can the steering lock be removed with the old tumbler inside it?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast