Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSK FAQ

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6

Ssk Faq

Short Shift Kit FAQ

Introduction -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Section 1
    Updates ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Section 2
    Contact Info -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Section 3
    UUC & Understeer Comparison (and misc info) --------------------------------------------------- Section 4
    Info on Rogue Octane SSK --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Section 5
    Comparison of UUC & Others ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Section 6
    General Info -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Section 7
    Personal Statements ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Section 8
    Acknowledgements ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Section 9
    Copyright Policy --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Section 10

Short Shift Kit FAQ v1.0
    By: Charles Parker

DISCLAIMER: Some of this information is my own work, while other information is taken from other websites. I believe I have stated when information was taken from other sites, and I have tried to give credit where it is due. If I have made a mistake and did not state I took information from a site when I should have, please inform me and I will make the correction ASAP.
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    Section 1 Introduction
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

This is my first FAQ ever, so if it royally sucks, I at least have one excuse to fall back on.....

Well after seeing thread after thread asking about SSK's and posting relatively the same information over and over I got tired and said that I would make a FAQ. Well at first I was very gung ho. I started looking up on websites and going through threads, but I wanted to wait until I had my own SSK so I could have first hand experience with them, instead of just reading about them. Well eventually I ordered a SSK and installed it, and then I just slacked off and didn't finish the FAQ. I am finally getting around to it now. Just to say as a beginning testimonial, my judgment is a bit biased. From the beginning I supported Understeer.com and their budget SSK. Then I went and ordered a SSK from Understeer.com. Although this is mainly going to feature UUC and Understeer (because those are the most commonly used SSKs) I will try to keep this neutral and unbiased; so to help in that effort, I spent time going to other commonly used SSK's websites to get some of their own information on the SSK. At the bottom of this FAQ are quotes by BimmerForums.com members that they have said on various threads. If one company has more quotes in their favor that is because I was able to find more quotes supporting that company. Like I said, I am trying to be unbiased in this FAQ and just make a pure informative FAQ to make getting a SSK easier for new consumers. Now to get on with the FAQ.

My personal set up I bought for my 97 M3 is the budget SSK from Understeer.com, UUC DSSR (double shear selector rod) and ERK (effort reduction kit), and UUC Delrin Carrier Bushings. I have to say it is great, the throws were amazingly shorter, it was much more notchy but the shifting effort was actually easier. I know it sounds weird, but it is true.

Section 2 Updates
    Version 1.1 (1/07/08)
    Edited information involving the Rogue OCTANE SSK, as the old storing about the "glue" bonding no longer applies as Rogue has revised the OCTANE SSK.

Version 1.0 (2/21/05)
    I will probably be down to update and make new versions of this. Right now it is not in the schedule, but feedback is welcomed and if enough new information comes to my attention and it seems that this FAQ is actually a halfway decent success, I will be glad to update and continue this.

Section 3 Contact Info

If you need to contact me, you can either pm me on bimmerforums.com; my nick is giterdone or you can email me at chazzy1864@yahoo.com.

If this is hard to read in the thread, and would like a word document form of the FAQ I can email you one (or just copy and paste this into Word).

Also, if you are quoted in the statements section and you feel that you have been wronged and would not like to be in this FAQ then just contact me and I will take you out. I did not get prior permission to quote the users before making this because they were posts on a public web board, so I felt it wasn't necessary.

Section 4 UUC & Understeer Comparison (and misc info)

My own comparison of UUC Evo III & Understeer.com Budget SSK: (prices come from understeer.com)

Pretty much the short break down is this. I've even talked to Chris from Understeer.com about the subject. He says that the UUC Evo III (comes with delrin carrier bushings & the ERK) is a nicer SSK than the budget one but isn't always in people's budgets.

The delrin carrier bushings ($25) replace the original flimsy rubber bushings that wear out and make the shifting sloppy. They’re made out of delrin, which is a thermoplastic material made out of high quality, medical grade, teflon impregnated, heat resistant delrin. They take out extra slop in your shift knob.

The modified selector rod ($30) decreases shift effort and provides additional clearance between the shift linkage and the drive shaft. If you get the budget ssk and want the DSSR ($129) you have to buy the DSSR/ERK, which is $160. The ERK does exactly what it is called (Effort Reduction Kit) and the DSSR takes play out of the shifter also. If you get the UUC Evo III it comes with ERK so you only need to buy the DSSR alone.

Replacing the selector rod pivot ($15) is one other thing that reduces slop in any ssk; it takes out sloppiness in the shift linkage. If you get the DSSR you don't need the selector rod pivot.

But here is the breakdown of both items. Delrin carrier bushings are not required but I would definitely suggest them.

Budget ssk with DSSR/ERK:
    E36 328/M3 Short Shift Kit - $85
    UUC Double Shear Selector Rod with ERK- $160
    UUC - Delrin Shift Carrier Bushings - Oval - $25
    Total: $270

Budget ssk with all other options:
    E36 328/M3 Short Shift Kit - $85
    Modified E36 328/M3 Selector Rod - $30
    UUC Delrin Carrier Bushings - OVAL - $25
    Selector Rod Pivot - $15
    Total: $155

UUC Evo III SSK (includes delrin carrier bushings & ERK)
    UUC Competition Evolution III SSK - $355
    UUC Double Shear Selector Rod - $129
    Total: $484

When I talked with Chris, this is his reply after a few questions were thrown back & forth: (after I asked the difference of the Evo III & the budget ssk with the dssr/erk & carrier bushings options)
    "Pretty close at that point. The Evo3 with the stock selector rod would have about the same amount of play as the budget kit with the DSSR. The Evo3 would have the advantage of height adjustment and might be a little smoother due to the ball bearing lower, but if you like the throw of the budget kit anyway the height adjustment isn't of much use. Tough call to say one is clearly better than the other with those options.

Chris"

A post by Chris in thread about SSKs:

Good: my budget SSK
    Better: budget SSK with the UUC ERK/DSSR upgrade
    Best: UUC Evo3
    Bestest: UUC Evo3 with the DSSR upgrade

Common questions about Understeers SSKs and the UUC accessories:
    Q: Would it still be beneficial to get a new selector rod pivot even if you do get the DSSR? Since it is most likely worn out anyways?
    A: Not really, since the only part of the selector pivot that wears out is no longer critical with the DSSR.

Q: What if I get the modified selector rod with the budget ssk. Is it still a critical point, or is the selector rod pivot only useful if I don't get a new selector rod?
    A: The wear of the selector pivot is relevant with any stock style selector rod; only the DSSR fixes the wear issue.

Q: One thing I find strange is that most shift rods are bent; the dssr is straight. I don't see how it would fit perfectly.
    A: The ERK (which is required for use of the DSSR) raises the pivot point eliminating the need for the bend in the selector rod.

Q: What is the difference between the round and oval bearings?
    A: Round bushings are round, oval ones are oval. Oval ones fit the 328/M3 shift carrier, round ones don't.

Q: I'm sure the Bentley will walk me through it but I'm curious are instructions included?
    A: Instructions for the SSK are included. UUC's Evo3 install instructions include instructions for the ERK and delrin carrier bushing, they’re available in PDF format here, http://www.shortshifter.com/pdfs/shifter_install.PDF

Q: Why is there a "notch" cut out on one side of the DSSR, and is it required to face a certain direction?
    A: That is to give clearance for the flex disc. Make sure the notch faces to the front (front of car) and down (towards the ground).

Section 5 Info on Rogue Octane SSK

Information on the Rogue Engineering Rogue Octane SSK: (information taken directly from Rogue's website)
    http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...ory_Code=OCTSL

Rogue OCTANE SSK – E36 328/M3 5-speed
    [OCT.E36.320] $365.00

The Rogue Engineering OCTANE short shifter represents years of experience and research in BMW short shifting products. With feedback from thousands of users and the measuring of countless prototypes, OCTANE is the culmination of a tremendous amount of research and development.

To appreciate the specific advantages of the OCTANE short shifter lever, one must understand the details that make it unique to all others, the heart of the OCTANE short shift kit.

Shifter Lever Upper
    The RE OCTANE is the only short shift kit to feature a CNC-machined 303 stainless steel upper section. This adds 100g more to the top of the shifter lever (compared to aluminum), helping to improve shifter feel. This small increase in mass above is compliments the incorporated WSR (not all models). The outside profile has been designed to precisely to allow use of the factory shift knob. This means that the use of factory illuminated shift knobs is possible.

Superior Technology, Constantly Evolving
    Until now, only the factory shifter lever was designed to be a vibration-absorbing, acoustically damped unit. BMW engineers employ vibration-dampening materials in their cars’ motor mounts, transmission mounts, subframe mounts and in various other areas for good reason – to isolate the cabin from excess vibration and noise. The OCTANE short shifter lever uses superior materials, bonded and secured to achieve a shorter, more positive shift throw without sacrificing the vibration dampening that BMW engineers built in. Some companies may allude that their "manufactured" lever is in some way superior to a factory lever. Simply machining a three decade old shifter design is not our idea of forward thinking.

With the continual evolution of our OCTANE shifter, we are proud to introduce our POWERBAND feature. The incorporation of the POWERBAND to the OCTANE shifter lever means that no matter how hard you twist or pull the shifter lever in the vehicle, the bond will never separate. The 6061-T6 aluminum ring and the stainless steel hardware positively secures the upper lever and lower shaft in perfect alignment at all times. Implementing the POWERBAND in no way inhibits the vibration absorbing characteristics engineered into the OCTANE shifter lever.

Lowering NVH
    By using a custom-extruded neoprene rubber insert, the OCTANE shifter is able to both minimize the NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) more than any other shifter on the market. By being able to design specific characteristics into the insert, we are able to minimize unwanted shifter free play while minimizing excessive harshness. Without sufficient material to address NVH issues in the driveline, you wind up with a shifter that vibrates and buzzes. As a matter of fact, the OCTANE shifter lever has 266% more vibration-absorbing material than the closest competitor. Shifter "isolation" should not be mistaken for "vibration-absorbing". Just because a shifter lever is built to be "isolated", do not mean that it has adequate materials to both acoustically dampen or absorb vibrations. If you want to maintain the vibration absorbing characteristics of a factory shifter, then your shifter lever better be made in a similar manner, using comparable materials!

Shifter Lever Lower
    The lower portion of the OCTANE short shifter is made from CNC'd 303 stainless steel. This material was selected because of its superior corrosion resistance and strength.

Pivot Ball and Pivot Bushing
    After extensive research and testing, we have discovered and implemented what we feel is the ideal pivot material. The thermoplastic material used in the OCTANE short shifter maintains the vibration-dampening qualities and built-in lubricity of the stock shifter’s thermoplastic pivot, but adds superior resistance to heat and wear. Unlike rigid metal balls or bushings, Ertalyte TX is proving to be the best material for the application. With a coefficient of friction that is 421% better than a stainless steel pivot ball, it combines all the benefits of smooth movement with durability beyond all other thermoplastics. Even with all of the fantastic properties of Ertalyte TX, we have designed the lower pivot point to be replaceable, should it ever need to be replaced in the future for any reason.

Smooth Operator - The RE SAPP
    The latest innovation implemented to the OCTANE short shifter is our exclusive Self-Adjusting Pivot Point (SAPP). Most other shifters (including the factory), rely on a pivot assembly that binds when new, requiring a "break-in" period to allow for new washers and clips to wear in. By the time these parts have "broken-in", unwanted play is now introduced, resulting in a potentially sloppy shifter feel.

Rogue Engineering's SAPP eliminates this break-in period, allowing the pivot to move freely at all times. The simple spring mechanism used in the SAPP removes any play in the pivot assembly, which continually compensating for bushing wear. The effectiveness of the SAPP is also enhanced by its simplicity, as there are no intricate mechanisms to ever fail or deteriorate.

Section 6 Comparisons of UUC & Other SSKs

All of this information in Section 6 comes directly from UUC Motorwerks' website
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A shifter shootout of UUC & B&M involving the UUC Evo III and B&M Shifters:

Number of Applications
    B&M 45126
    B&M: 2 different kits (or 5, depending on who supplies the information) that fit "all models" via alternate installation options that relocate the pivot ball on the shifter shaft using C-clips. Depending on application, shifter height will be incorrect (too high or too low) and shifter-centering position may be off-center.

UUC: 14 applications specifically designed for each individual BMW model. Each application has factory-perfect shift knob height and perfect centering relative to the transmission tunnel.
    Applications for all models including new 330i 6-speed and Xi models.
    Note: all models are adjustable for personal knob-position preference.

RELEVANCE: Correct application is critically important. By using only a few different parts with "universal fit" design, the B&M shifters compromise on fitment, positioning, shift throw reduction, and selector rod geometry. The net result is less comfort and control for the driver. It takes more effort for UUC to design and offer a distinct short shifter kit for each BMW model, but it ensures fitment and satisfaction every time.

Shift throw reduction:
    B&M: 20%-25%
    UUC: All models: 35%
    Height adjustment allows an additional 5%-8% reduction at the preference of the end user

Extras:
    All of UUC's shifters offer:

- Height adjustability allowing shift knob position to be altered by up to 3/4" (depending on model) for perfect ergonomic comfort. This tailors the shifter height to the individual driver.

- Perfect compatibility with all BMW models. We offer 14 different part numbers (with more than half a dozen sub-variations) which means that every BMW model gets the exact shifter it needs for perfect shifter centering, height, and shift effort requirements.

- Carrier bushings included standard with all shifters (as required) to eliminate slop and rotation in the carrier assembly. No matter how or where slop exists in the shift linkage, it will be felt by the driver. UUC has systematically identified, isolated, and eliminated slop with our BMW Ultimate Short Shifter kits.

Vibration Isolation System:
    B&M: fully rebuildable high compression Buna-n (nitrile) o-rings that meet or exceed ASTM D200, SAE J200, and Aerospace Standard (AS) 568A for complete 6th axial damping (100% isolated).

UUC: fully rebuildable silicone damper that meets or exceeds ASTM D2000 M3GE507.
    Contrary to B&M's analysis of UUC's previous generation shifter, the EVO3's damping components provide 100% shifter lower shaft coverage and 100% isolation. Additionally, UUC has designed and integrated a 100%-isolated rotational load stop into our standard locating pin system.

As a side note; I went to B&M's website to try & find information in their defense and their site was devoid of any good information. It was very basic, and they didn't show anything on their SSK's except for models and price.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AC Schnitzer
    This kit has a US retail price of $1050 through CEC.
    The ACS kit has a new CNC'd carrier, as well as a new shifter lever. Interestingly enough, it uses a shifter manufactured by the same company that makes BMW's original shifters, which can lead to the same issues of slop and mushiness as the shifter that came in the car. The kit has limited applications (mostly to E36 M3s) and installs in anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours, depending on your level of mechanical ability. Instructions are minimal. The shift knob sits about 1" higher than stock.

UPDATE: Schnitzer has recently outsourced the manufacturing of their shift lever to Valeo, the original equipment manufacturer for BMW. Construction is identical to the original BMW lever with modified dimensions.http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/shifter...stic/index.htm
    A nice overall product but afflicted with the original problem of a plastic shifter ball.

Pros:
    --Good Quality
    Cons:
    --Price
    --Lever will flex and bushings will wear like original lever.

Direct comparison between UUC Ultimate Short Shifter and AC Schnitzer short shifter:
    height throw 3rd-Neutral Force 4th Neutral Force
    AC Schnitzer 5.75" 3.5" 4.0lbs 7.75lbs
    UUC Motorwerks 5.75" 3.5" 3.0lbs 5.75lbs

Metric Mechanic/Auto Solutions
    This kit is also sold under the BMP Design, Bekkers, and Bavarian Autosport name in their catalogs. Retailing from $185-$270, this kit has been around for quite awhile. Unfortunately, the problem with this kit is that it uses BMW's older, discontinued two-piece lever design, and it uses BMW clips to hold it together... the same clips that used to loosen up on the BMW shifters which is why BMW discontinued them in the first place. This older-style two-piece shift lever can loosen up and has been known to come apart during shifting. Auto Solutions' basic kit even uses a factory upper, shown on the picture on the left. Here's a quote from Autosolutions: "Since the Upper lever is insulated from the lower lever (steel portion with the pivot ball) with a resilient material -typically vulcanized rubber- some flex will occur at the upper lever."
    Whereas the kit claims "zero clearance bronze bushings", our slightly used sample has more play than a factory shift lever. Metal-on-metal pivots are a bad idea. Even their newly designed kit showed signs of wear after only a few weeks. As a soft metal, bronze isn't so great as a "pivot" material. It is also odd in that it offers a replacement selector rod for no apparent reason. The factory part is made of steel and does not wear out... but we've seen many examples of this replacement bronze selector rod wearing against the bronze bushing in the lever, and also wearing against the steel clip.
    Installation, from the parts they give you, requires professional assistance, incredible patience, and professional tools. You are required to drop out the drive train and exhaust so it will take you at least 2-3 hours, if you're lucky. Anticipate paying an independent service shop $200-$250 to install this kit
    Pros:
    --Every part made by Autosolutions, excellent quality machining
    Cons:
    --Extra parts made by Auto Solutions (why replace good factory steel parts with soft bronze?).
    --Over-size shifter ball adds to shifting effort and wears out bushing faster.
    --Increased effort in shifting and notchiness.
    --Unnecessarily replaces shifter linkage rod. Why buy parts that you don't need?
    --Very difficult install with selector joint replacement. Requires removal of drive shaft, exhaust, and guibo for installation.
    --Clipped-together shifter lever may vibrate or separate (ask Rob - it happened to him in traffic!).

Section 7 General Info

Also just to say, all shifters say they offer a 30-35% reduction in shifter throw. It doesn't matter which one. The only shifter in which that statement does not apply to is the UUC Evo III for the E36 M3; it is adjustable from 35-45% shift throw reduction based on the selected knob height. Shift throw is based on the ratio of the lengths of the lever above and below the pivot ball.

(Taken from Rogue Engineerings Tech Tips section)
    Shift Knob No-Nos
    Why can't I rest my hand on the shift knob?
    Ever wonder why people say that its bad to rest you hand on the shift knob while driving? Well, there is a reason, and good thing you listened!
    Within the transmission itself, BMW has a specification of 0.004"-0.006" gap between each gear and the shifter rail in the transmission (for reference, a human hair is approximately 0.0035"). This gap allows for the transmission lubricant to acts as a barrier so that the shifter rail and gear are not directly touching, causing premature wearing of the gear (not syncros), shifter rail, or both.
    When you make a 0.001" change at the shift knob and maintain pressure (like resting your hand on the shift knob while driving), the required 0.004"-0.006" gap is closed, preventing the lubricant to ride between the gear and shifter rail. Premature wear of the gear or shifter rail may hamper transmission shifting performance, gear engagement, or worse, require rebuilding or replacement of the transmission.
    A recent popular fix for short shifter notchiness is the use of an excessively heavy, metallic shift knob. At only 3 oz. (approximately 100 grams), the factory shift knob is relatively light, in comparison with the available aftermarket knobs. We have analyzed the additional mass of the Rogue Engineering shift knobs (approximately 6 oz.) and have found that they're additional mass was not enough to close the 0.004"-0.006" gap. However, as we began adding more weight to the shift knob area, we did find that when the mass increased to 8 oz., the gap began to close. Using anything heavier than this would be the equivalent of driving with your hand resting on the shift knob. When considering an aftermarket shift knob, consider how much mass it threatens to add. Too much is a BAD thing for your transmission!
    A more elegant solution to addressing the effort is the Rogue Engineering Weighted Selector Rod. While stationary, its additional mass does not change the internal dimensions of the 0.004"-0.006" gap, since it's below the leverage point of the shifter. Its additional mass aids in improving the shifter feel without the potentially negative drawbacks of weighted moments on other parts of the shifter mechanism.
    Thanks to Jim Blanton for providing the specifications for this tech tip.

Section 8 Personal Statements

Statements by Users on Bf.C
    (statements, typos, imperfections and terrible grammar copied exactly as stated by users of bimmerforums.com)

------------------ STATEMENTS by Users for understeer.com budget ssks -----------------------------

"put on my budget m3 ssk with modified selector rod. awesome spacing! i wouldnt want the gears any closer or farther away. It's a little notchy but when your driving fast that makes it feel that much better." - Serious

"I installed the understeer ssk and delrin carrier bushings a couple weeks ago. Best ssk out there IMO. These two things are all you need (so says me), the shifter reduces throws (but not too much), and the delrin bushings take out all the slop in the shifter action. very nice, $125 to my door. as for the other stuff, you may notice a 1% improvement, but not as good a value as the shifter & bushings, follow me? You wont be dissapointed." - joenationwide

"Happy Understeer SSK/selector rod/UUC Delrin carrier bushings owner. It will be notchier until it breaks in but when it does its heaven." - JClark

"I bought and installed the Understeer ssk and am very happy with it." - mikeinsanmarcos

"Yeah, I got the Understeer SSK, delrin bushings, modified selector rod, TME's, and a nice heavy knob. Works beautifully, and everyone wants to know what it is." - potomac

"About 3-4k miles on my Understeer SSK, Understeer selector rod, and delrin bushings and couldn't be happier. All for a little over $100." - JClark

"Wow is all I can say. The feel is absolutely PERFECT. The throws are a lot shorter and the feel is just a hair notchier than stock but feels almost exactly like the stock shifter felt. I couldn't be happier with this purchase it is precisely what I wanted and at such a cheaper price than the alternatives. I really can't envision how the other kits out there could be any better than this one. I have the SSK and Selector Rod and Carrier Bushings." - rmani

"^ chris is right, budget ssk from understeer was a good $85 spent." - nightkrawler

------------------ STATEMENTS by Users for Rogue Engineering ssks ---------------------------------

"I have a Rogue Octane SSK-WSSR . 15K miles and like new...and it doesn't matter whether its 95F or -10F (like it was few days ago) same shift. Now the tranny at -10F can cause some notchiness on start-up, but w/ RedLine that has been minor...no shift kit will change the tranny issue." - hellrot325

"I'm happy with my Rogue Octane ssk." - hinzm3

"I have the Rogue Octane and am very pleased with it." - Mad Dog 20/20

"I have the Rouge Engineering with weight selector rod and i love it. Also the UUC ones are nice" - bimmerdriver99

"i have nothing but nice things to say about the RE Octane SSK kit. I replaced everything and it's really really nice." - fgraziano
    "i have the octane and i love it" - kosta

---------- STATEMENTS by Users for UUC (primarily but not limited to Evo III ssks) ------------------

"Only the UUC EVO3 Ultimate Short Shifter will remain crisp and precise for as long as you own it." - Rob Levinson

"I've had evo 3 and evo 2. Compared to the evo 2 the evo 3 has a lot less shift effort and a better placement of the shifter when in gear. (The evo 2 when in gear did not look like it was in gear). My mechanic had a B&M shifter and an Autosolutions shifter. He said he liked those better than the evo 2, but he hasnt tried my Evo 3 yet." - CrayzeeM3

"I couldn’t be happier. I retract any previous statements in the past about saying its not worth the $400+. There are good budget kits out there, I highly recommend the Understeerk SSK if you are on a budget, but if not go ahead and get the best. Anyways just thought I’d throw in my two cents." - SupaBimma

"Shifter: UUC Evo 3 is the popular one here. It really makes a night and day difference from the stock shifter." - s_ribbens

"uuc 3 evo, love it" - DAKM3

"The UUC Evo3 with the DSSR is the kit to have" - Ty Vil

------------------ STATEMENTS by Users for other brand ssks -----------------------------------

"i have an $800 ac-schnitzer ssk (i'm glad it came with the car) and it feels great but definitely not worth that price." - orijinal poser

"I've driven a car with an autosolutions SSK, didn't like it. Way too notchy, felt like you had to force the shifter into gear. They advertise in the Roundel, they have the ad that says "Shift Happens" as the title. FWIW, I have a UUC in one of my cars." - HoJo

"I drive M3's with both ASU and UUC EVO II. The Autosolutions felt a lot less notchy. Dont know how it stacks up to the EVO3." - BAM3

"I have the AA shifter. No problems here.... IMO BMW transmissiona all shift like crap." - xjeeper

"Get the B&M for half the price its a good shifter. Oh BTW I have tried them all." - //M-zilla

"I've had the Autosolutions SSK in my car since 2002 and I love it. I've driven M3s with both Rogue and UUC.... they can't compare. The M Roadster with the Autosolutions SSK is unreal." - Brent Vino

"I have a B&M kit in my car and I like it a lot. No complaints here." - dhabes

"A customer wanted the Autosolutions in his 96 M3 race car since it finished 1st in the comparison test. The install was a little tough as the "bitch clip" was a real pain to get in. Once done however, it provides a great shift / feel. I do not think it was too notchy. A great race shifter. Overall the Autosolutions is a quality product. You get a new console, lever, shift rod, clips etc. When you are done all play is gone - very precise. Paid about $385 for it.

On my personal car, also a 96 M3, I installed a B&M street shifter about 6 months ago. I use the car on street, autocross, and driving school/track days. This is a great shifter as well. Several friends have driven the car and all commented how nice it is. I paid $195 which is higher than can be purchased today with some shopping. But...

Never tried the UUC or Rouge but bet they are very nice as well." - POPS M3

"All SSK's are practically the same. Just get the cheapest one." - dave is cool

"I just put in the Ron Stygar version in my M3 and I love it.. Shortened up the throws nice (~30%) and feels great." - r6jon

"I hate my UUC, go with autosolutions." - jtgm3
    "So far the best/smoothest shifter I've driven has been a Ron Stygar shifter... not that I drove many, but that one definitely felt as good as stock." - ///3oris

Section 9 Acknowledgements

The biggest personal thanks would go to Chris from understeer.com for answering my numerous questions I have had along the way in dealing with SSKs.

I would like to thank www.understeer.com, www.uucmotorwerks.com, and www.rogueengineering.com for providing information on the sites that I used.

I guess I will thank all the users that I quoted for making those statements.

Section 10 Copyright Policy

Well look, honestly I don't have a copyright on this. But really, please don't distribute this. If you want somebody to get this, just have them contact me, I will be glad to give it to them. The only site this is to be posted on is Bimmerforums.com (because I am posting it on there) any further distribution will be by me. Thanks.
    Last edited by giterdone; 01-07-2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Updated old info
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    DAAAAAMMMMN!!

Definately STICKY worthy.

My Cars
    --97 SC'd ///M3--04 ///M3 VERT--07 ESCALADE--
    holly $hit Chaz, any plans for a paper back version?

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//

My Cars
    Yamaha R6, Avus E36, MBZ C230
    Nice contribution to the forum.

-phill F.- 10/95 Avus E36

My Cars
    95 Turbo M3
    Nice informative write-up. Great job!
    R.I.P.
    95 Daytona Violet TURBO M3/2

Dove Alcantara/ Dark Grey Leather

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    damn, thanks guys. I worked on it forever, and then forgot about posting it up. That write up M32NV did, reminded me of this, so I had to fix a couple small errors and post it up.

Thanks for the kind words. Also if you come across any errors(spelling or factual), please let me know, I don't want to sound like an idiot, adn I don't want to spread false info.
    -Chaz

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    01 330i
    I'm surprised you didn't add a section on installation.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trepan
    I'm surprised you didn't add a section on installation.
    all the SSKs come with install instructions. I was just doing on differences so people knew what to buy. Also I linked to UUC's install instructions. Understeer has the same instructions they ship you on their site. Only thing I really covered about install was the one notch on the DSSR that has to be facing a certain way. (what I had to change the day you helped me turn it around).
    -Chaz

My Cars
    04 M3
    thanks, great write up
    04 M3 Coupe Current///97 Civic HX (DD) Current///08 Ducati 848 Pearl White Sold
    ///00 323i Sold///02 RSX Type S Sold///99 996 C2 Sold///01 996 C2 Cab Sold
    ///01 325ci Sold ///98.5 M3 Alpine Sold ///95 M3 Cosmos Sold///90 Accord Sold

My Cars
    Wrangler, Jetta TDI
    Good stuff! I've been wondering about whether I should save up and get an Evo3 shifter or just go with the 328 rod...O_o

My Cars
    95M3,330xi,540iT(rip)

Racing dynamics gated shifter

Any experience with the Racing Dynamics gated shifter??

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade26
    Any experience with the Racing Dynamics gated shifter??
    not at all, I never heard anything about it, until fairly recently in a thread. Here is what the guy said about it.

Quote Originally Posted by santacruisin
    I bought mine on the boards a couple of years ago. At that time RD still sold them on their website. I searched (briefly) and it is no longer on their site. Like anything else, if you look hard enough on the web you will find it.

The shifter is functional but not perfect. It rattles like a mofo sometimes, it can get off center and needs to be jerked into place and the slots are not perfect so after a couple hundred shifts the shifter will naturally make grooves so that it will shift more smoothly. For the luxo whores you may not like that sound deadening is reduced and you can hear components in the tranny spinning and moving while driving. Despite all of the faults I love it and will not go back to a regular booted shifter. However, I am one to "deal" with the problems inherent in modifications.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    soon to be 325is
    very nice write up! stickey!!!!!!

My Cars
    1998 4Runner
    I am still looking for the answer on selector rods and weighted shift knobs. No one has a definite positive on which one to go with.

-Nate
    1995 M3 - Gone
    2007 335i Sport - Euro Delivery - Gone
    2009 335i Sport - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone
    1998 4Runner - Current

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    chaz it kills me to say this but....good job

Cut Me Off At The Knees And Call Me Tripod

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_M3
    I am still looking for the answer on selector rods and weighted shift knobs.
    Factoring the leverage multiplication, weight on the knob end of the lever will make a bigger difference in smoothing shifts. Weighting the selector rod makes about 1/5 the difference that the knob makes. Note however that UUC's DSSR not only adds mass, but it also reduces slop in the shift linkage.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Vio
    chaz it kills me to say this but....good job
    ahhh you're so sweet.

Chris,
    thanks for saying that, I honestly didn't know enough to answer. If you see any other info that needs to be added, please just let me know, or post it. Besides you were the primary source for all my info.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    C63 AMG 507 Edition

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3

My Cars
    2006 e90 330
    Wow Chaz, this looks better than a lot of the papers I turned in when I was in college. Good job

510 RWHP/ 485 RWTQ R.I.P.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Admins: Sticky this badboy.

Also, please retitle the "75K mile- What to look for thread" that is currently stickied to "Considering a used E36 M3? READ THIS FIRST!!!!!!!!!". Despite its good intentions, we still have noobs asking what to look for in a used M3 all the time.
    2005 M3
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.” - Ernest Hemingway

My Cars
    '89 325is, '03 330i
    Very interesting and informative! I just installed a new UUC Evo3 SSK in my '99 M3 after putting the six speed in, and the difference is like night and day! The five speed SSK (also a UUC kit) had some notchiness especially in the 1-2 shift,but the new kit specifically designed for the six speed tranny makes it smooooth. Kudo to you for the FAQ, and kudos to Rob for the SSK!
    Bill-banger,[SIZE=2] '02 M3, Topaz/Black, 6 sp. manual, ZCP wheels, UUC shortshifter, RE anti-rasp pipe and exhaust. otherwise stock.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Wow, very impressive. Great review!

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    hey guys, I didn't see the compliments dating january of 06. I haven't really been on much, due to deployment. It is a pain in the ass since i have to use a proxy server......stupid websense. Anywho, thanks. Sometime if I'm bored enough (which there is a good chance I will be) I may go back through, check sites, to make sure the info is still current.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    99 E36 M3
    wow. nice write up.
    Sent from my FBCB2 at an undisclosed location in the Middle East

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast