Harrison Motorsports

Thread: M30 help

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX

Got an E9

Hello everyone.

I recently acquired an E9. More specifically, it's a Euro 1972 BMW 3.0 CS. The PO didn't reconnect a coolant hose, however, and blew the block. So, I'm looking for a new or used M30 block to put in. Two main things:

1. Does anybody local have one for sale?

2. What can I do to increase the output of the stock M30? (No FI, no mototronic or L-Jet. I want to keep it on carbs.)

Lastly, would anyone be willing to work with me (some) through an engine rebuild/removal/install?

If I had my way, I'd toss in a M30 3.9 stroker with triple 45 downdraft Webers, a 284 cam, some head work, and high compression (between 10:1 and 11:1) pistons. I figure that should get me up to about 250-270 hp and a lot of torque. Unfortunately, that would cost a lot of cash I don't have, so I'll stick with the regular parts for now, or perhaps some dual 35 downdraft Webers. I'd also like to put in a 5 speed (Getrag 265) so I'll get better fuel economy and make it a much more driveable car, but again, that costs green I just don't have, so it will wait. If anybody has a 265 locally, I'd pick that up, too.

Any suggestions/ comments would be appreciated. I have pics if anyone is actually interested.
    Last edited by xatlas0; 06-08-2005 at 05:26 PM.

My Cars
    '02 M3, '08 X5, '88 M3
    I'd love to see some pics of your car. Saw a beautiful green one a couple of years ago up in Norcross. Do you have any rust issues?

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    I picked it up last saturday, so I haven't had a great deal of time to give the machine a true going-over. The rust on the car is pretty limited. It looks like the european owner had a lot of stuff done before he brought it over. (somewhere around 16k DM in 1984)

It's a manual with 44k on the odo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '07 M Coupe, '84 318GTR
    I do. Have an M30B35 with 126k on it for sale if you're interested. Has all belt driven accessories aside from the A/C compressor (which is laying about somewhere if you need that too) and I had to steal the AFM for my current car (not an issue if you're going to carb it anyway). Other than that, it's complete. PM me if you're interested.
    2007 M Coupe - stock-ish...
    1984 318 GTR - more mods go here...
    1983 300D - hippie sled...
    2019 Nissan Frontier S - cheap truck...

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    I would think roadfly has the most active e9 board around, you should check them out. That's a good motor, don't be afraid of EFI... it can make old cars haul ass.

Matt
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Hey, other Matt.

Yeah, I know the EFI would undoubtedly be more reliable, but I want to keep this a mechanical car. Also, if I don't get it runing within roughly a month, I lose it. So, to keep it simple, I'm going to keep the carbs, either double weber 40's, or triple weber 45's.

I remember you saying that you were working on a 2002; which kind of injection were you attempting to put in? L-Jet? Motortronic? The complicated mechanical fuel injection system on the tii?

and OT, you taking summer classes?

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    I am taking english 2 at home this summer. I built a megasquirt for my 2002, it is basically L-jet with a custom computer.

Those carbs on there are probably good, just clean them up well. Nice looking car.

Matt

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    The ones on there right now are the stock zenith 35/40. Considering that I'm upping the displacement by almost 25%, I don't think I'll get enough CFMs with the current carbs. Though, they appear to work perfectly. The PO had just had the car in for an overhaul. (cleaning/rejetting carbs, valve timing, etc.) That's when the hose wasn't reconnected right. Hence, I was going for the larger triple weber setup. I'm looking at this kit:

http://www.racetep.com/bmwweb.html

Seems like an Ok deal, and if I can just get the manifold, I can snag the carbs off of ebay.

OT: yeah, hopefully your English 2 class won't suck like mine. My teacher was so out there he could have been used as a guide marker for astronauts. My final was to make a website on "unexplained phenomena" using "credible sources". It was absurd. Class was cool, though, even if it was too damn early and clear across campus. We watched movies every day. I has to write a paper on "Joe Vs. the Volcano", that was interesting.

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    DGAV or DCOE?

My english class is OK, there are even GIRLS in my class.

Matt

My Cars
    '07 M Coupe, '84 318GTR
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    DGAV or DCOE?

My english class is OK, there are even GIRLS in my class.

Matt
    Lies
    2007 M Coupe - stock-ish...
    1984 318 GTR - more mods go here...
    1983 300D - hippie sled...
    2019 Nissan Frontier S - cheap truck...

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Quote Originally Posted by delgadoduvidoso
    Lies
    It's not georgia tech.

Truth.

Matt

My Cars
    WRX
    There will be girls in your classes in the fall too. COM rocks my socks.

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle K.
    There will be girls in your classes in the fall too. COM rocks my socks.

Matt