Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Microfilter change

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Microfilter change

While I had the car apart installing my alarm, I went ahead and changed out the microfilter as part of my Inspection II that I am slowly completing.

EDIT: I thought it would be worth noting here that it may not be necessary for you to remove the glovebox. There is significant discussion of this in the thread. I recommend reading the whole thread before starting.

Of course the first step is to remove the glovebox. I have a small no picture write up in my alarm install DIY, and there are many resources out there. If I had thought about it I would have done a writeup with pictures but for now I am not removing that damn glovebox again.

After the glovebox is removed, you will want to remove the plastic air vents that feed the footwell in order to gain better access to the microfilter compartment.

To do this you need to push down on the back of the plastic vents to release a vertical clip holding it up. You can see it in this picture:
    Just forward of the purple wire in the clear plastic covering you see a vertical post near where the plastic is coated with insulation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by old skool; 01-03-2007 at 01:28 PM.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    The second clip can't be seen as it is on the underside of the vents inside the vent right at the center of the car. To remove this press up from the bottom until it pops out and the pull away from the center of the car to release the snap fitting of the vent and then wiggle it out and towards the front of the car to clear the metal frame that it is tightly fitted into.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now you have to remove this.
    There is a release clip at the top center. Pull left in the picture and then push up on the unit to remove it.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here it is removed and you can see the release clip in the middle and the other two slide clips on either side.

(Some people have another black tray attached to the top of this clip. You will have to remove the top tray first. In order to do this, you slide the top tray back as far as it will go and then lift up. You can see the 3-4 sets of grooves in this picture. Installation is the opposite of removal.)
    Last edited by old skool; 05-05-2007 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the console it fits into. You can see how it attaches.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now this is the access to the microfilter.
    Up is the front of the car, right is the floor, left is the hvac core.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Twist this and pull it out to expose the microfilter.
    Push the black tab shown on the filter towards the front of the car to release the foam seal. Then pull away from the center of the car to remove it. The frame is broken in three places and will make a bit of a mess...just keep pulling and working at it until it is removed.

My Cars
    Jetta
    here it is. Yuck.

My Cars
    Jetta
    To insert the new one, simply break it in the three obvious place on the plastic frame so that you can carefully feed it in the opening and clear all the components under the dash. When it is in, just press it towards the front of the car to fit the foam seal. Reinstall the cover and twist in the opposite direction to secure it. Then simply reinstall all the pieces of the dash.

My Cars
    2004 330ci
    Good thread.

How much is a microfilter at the stealership?

2004 330ci - TiAg - Current | 1998 328i - Alpine White! - Sold

My Cars
    TSX
    wuts the microfilter for?

mike

also, wheres the list for inspection II?

My Cars
    2004 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by e36
    wuts the microfilter for?

mike

also, wheres the list for inspection II?
    Its a filter for you central air system.

2004 330ci - TiAg - Current | 1998 328i - Alpine White! - Sold

My Cars
    Jetta
    It is the cabin filter...or pollen filter. It filters the outside air for your hvac.

The filter is like $15 or less if I recall correctly.
    There are a number of links to inspection 2 lists...try the bimmerdiy.com

My Cars
    Jetta
    I am going to bump this up for the Monday crowd.

My Cars
    Yes, cars.
    Nice writeup, but I have replaced mine without removing the glovebox. It's a bit tight in there, but it's possible to do. Oh, and I paid $27 at the $tealer.
    Jeff
    2004 325XI Sport Package

My Cars
    Jetta
    Soem writeups tell you to remove the metal dash brace/frame as well...honestly the more that is gone the easier it is....however it is obviously possible to do without removing the dash...just not fun. shoot I almost recommend removing the seat when doing this. I hate crawling around upside down in the footwells of the car.

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2003 Chevy Avalanche
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    Soem writeups tell you to remove the metal dash brace/frame as well...honestly the more that is gone the easier it is....however it is obviously possible to do without removing the dash...just not fun. shoot I almost recommend removing the seat when doing this. I hate crawling around upside down in the footwells of the car.
    How do you remove the metal brace/frame as you mention? I sliced up my hand pretty good when replacing my microfilter. I got so pissed off I pretty much convinced myself that I was going to pay someone else to do it from now on.

Note that I also didn't unhook the black computer piece from the other piece like you suggest. If I had done that, the whole thing would have been much easier. I didn't realize they came apart.
    3/99 M3 with typical "upgrades": UUC Evo3 SSK+DSSR, UUC Red Tranny Mounts+TMEs, ZKW headlights, X-brace, CDV delete, Zionsville Aluminum radiator w/ Stewart water pump, Ground Control Track/School kit, Powerflex RTABs and LCABs, SSI underpanel, and a BMW Traffic Pro.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Some people think removing this is easy...I am not so sure. You can see on either end it has a bolt holding it to the side of the car and the center dash support....those are easy to remove, but wiggling it out of there is tough...plus I am not sure you can easily do this with the center shift surround in the way.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    I did it too without removing the glovebox, just a duct and some wire. I also didnt break the filter in those three different places it went in with some wriggling around.

My Cars
    1987 325i, 2005 Suabru LGT
    Quote Originally Posted by fredo328
    I did it too without removing the glovebox, just a duct and some wire. I also didnt break the filter in those three different places it went in with some wriggling around.
    I just replaced mine tonight without removing the glovebox. I just removed the kick panel and then removed the Y shaped duct. That gave me free access to the filter. Took about 15 minutes to change.

My Cars
    potato
    god - this is such a pain in the ass if the filter breaks and you leave a bit in there - what fun...

My Cars
    E36, E6, G80
    Why did you break it in 2 places? I installed mine he same way and didn't have to break it.

-Robert
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring
    1996 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring
    1996 Alpina B8 4.6 Touring
    2023 BMW M3

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I was thinking that once you get the glove box off it was essentially right there in front of you w/ easy access. It sounds like a hassle. Ah well.

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    It's always funny to see a common DIY and then the "I had to X" "Well I didn't have to X" "Well you can do it Y way also" "Y?!? That was impossible!"

I know when I did mine there was no way the filter was going in without breaking it at the marked tabs. Under the dash was pretty cramped and there was no way I could have slid that 8+ inches of straight plastic into the housing.

My Cars
    Under Construction
    i need to do mine soon...thanks for the write up!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast