Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Sunroof removal

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Sunroof removal

The obvious first step is to remove the headliner.

After you remove the headliner you will notice the fiberglass frame of the sunroof cassette mounted to the roof of the car. It is attached around the perimeter by torx screws. It has drain tubes on all four corners. It also has the sunroof motor mounted through it.

First unplug the wires to the sunroof motor. The motor can be operated manually with a 4mm hex wrench. More information is provided later in this writeup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by old skool; 10-24-2005 at 09:57 AM.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Locate the drain tubes on each of the four corners.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    disconnect them and let them hang there.

My Cars
    Jetta
    This is what the torx screws look like

My Cars
    Jetta
    You can safely remove these without fear of your sunroof falling on your head.

My Cars
    Jetta
    As you remove these, the sunroof cassette will start to droop but this is normal.

My Cars
    Jetta
    the back of the sunroof is held in by torx screws that allow you to adjust the position of the sunroof because there are slots. Remove these screws as well.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Remove them and you will see that the sunroof is still held in place by the black metal spring clips.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The next step is to remove the sunroof motor. There are three torx screws holding this in place.

The two small torx screws on the right stay...but the three outside screws need to be removed like the one in the center of the picture.

My Cars
    Jetta
    When you release the black metal spring clip the back side of the sunroof cassette will drop down and it is heavy so be prepared.

My Cars
    Jetta
    This part of the sunroof cassette is the only thing now holding it up. Be careful not to break it and slide the whole assembly towards the back of the car to release the front tab from the metal support it is wedged into.

My Cars
    Jetta
    As you can see the sunroof cassette is huge, heavy and awkward. It fills the entire car and has somewhat sharp edges. I would personally recommend taking the seats out and having two people. however it can be done with the seats reclined and only one person. Be careful not to damage your seats when you try to slide it out of the car. I would put some kind of towels or padding down if you want to keep your seats in the car.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The roof of the car sans sunroof.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Top of the car looking in.
    The black rubber seal is attached to the metal with double sided tape.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The cassette out of the car

My Cars
    Jetta
    The motor out of the car and you can see which screws needed to be removed and which can be left.

My Cars
    Jetta
    I am bumping this because there are always questions about it.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    What would be the best way to plug the hole when you are done. Im interested in it I just need to know what to do once its out.

My Cars
    Jetta
    I would recommend welding sheet metal to fill the hole and then grinding the welds smooth and paint over it. But you have to get a headliner for a non-sunroof car.
    Another way I have seen done is to remove the metal part of the sunroof, rivet its tabs hanging down into the cabin to the tabs for the roof, leaving the gasket there to seal it up.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Dude, you need your own DIY site. Your stuff is amazing and is always welcomed here at BF.C.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    93 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstah
    Dude, you need your own DIY site. Your stuff is amazing and is always welcomed here at BF.C.
    agreed and the pictures are what make all your diy threads great. nice work.
    UUC|AC Schnitzer|AA|Ecis|Ground Control|Koni|H&R|Rieger|BMW Motorsport|Hamann|Pirelli

My Cars
    '96 Hellrot 328is
    Agreed, a lot of the DIYs have pics that look like someone used a camera phone.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    I agree, it is a great DIY. But why did you remove the sunroof?

My Cars
    97' M3
    Is there any way you can open the cassette? ie. to take the interior panel out if it is stuck in the cavity

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by fredo328
    I agree, it is a great DIY. But why did you remove the sunroof?
    I am going to sell it. But before I do that I am going to swap the fabric shuttle to my new car. It is black to go with my M3 black headliner conversion.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast