Thread: Ron Davis Radiator Update

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3

Ron Davis Radiator Update

Finally finished the job today. I think it came out very well done, the mounts seem to be very beefy and strong. I used plastic stock and alen bolts to do the job rather than welding. Notice the mount on top of the radiator, I had to Jesse James that bitch to match the contour but it came out better than I was hoping it would. I also used 2 of these mounts on the bottom attached to the exsisting mounts, just had to bend them flat.

The only issue I had was that this radiator would not sit flush agaisnt the sheet metal. In turn all the air coming from the fan was being blown out of the sides and top where the gaps were. A quick trip to Home Depot and $1.39 later we solved this problem with some copper pipe insulation. No air escapes the fins. If you have a radiator mounted fan than this will not be an issue for you. If your fan resides where the aux fan was like mine than this is the way to fix the problem. I like mine this way since the fins dont have to support the weight of my 16" Hayden electric fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    Another one with the insulation

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    From the front showing the fan

My Cars
    Big Lexus, BMC SLR01
    Very nice CJ. I should have ordered one for the 2002. Oh well. I'll have to get in on the next one...

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    Pretty slick CJ. Nice install. Kudos for keeping it clean. I have a tendency to reach for the welder more often than not. I bet drilling that hole in the front clip was a little nerve racking. Can't wait to see the car in two weeks.

My Cars
    1982 320is
    Looking magnificent! That 16" looks huge! I think im only running a 14 puller style

My Cars
    Big Lexus, BMC SLR01
    Quote Originally Posted by MattE21
    That 16" looks huge
    You know, girls always tell me that

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNeek
    Pretty slick CJ. Nice install. Kudos for keeping it clean. I have a tendency to reach for the welder more often than not. I bet drilling that hole in the front clip was a little nerve racking. Can't wait to see the car in two weeks.
    Thanks guys.

Nic you have no idea, I was like there has to be another way around this rather than drilling a hole in her. Believe it or not this is the FIRST time i have scared her since the rebuild almost 4 years ago!

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzed310
    Thanks guys.

Nic you have no idea, I was like there has to be another way around this rather than drilling a hole in her. Believe it or not this is the FIRST time i have scared her since the rebuild almost 4 years ago!
    How about folding that fine polished piece of steel or aluminum over the front clip. That little piece of sheet metal that sticks up (the one you bolted it to). With a coating on it to keep it from rubbing the paint. Then you could have just bolted it to that plastic block to keep it in place. Could have probably made it a tight fit as well, if you had some sort of rubber stand offs to support the radiator against the front clip.

My Cars
    81 323i, 88 545is, 97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNeek
    How about folding that fine polished piece of steel or aluminum over the front clip. That little piece of sheet metal that sticks up (the one you bolted it to). With a coating on it to keep it from rubbing the paint. Then you could have just bolted it to that plastic block to keep it in place. Could have probably made it a tight fit as well, if you had some sort of rubber stand offs to support the radiator against the front clip.
    Smooth move Nic you tell him this after he has drilled the holes.

Nice install CJ. It was so inspirational that I printed/filled out the dimension sheet on Ron's site and sent off the measurements for the 323i.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    Quote Originally Posted by RDAvena
    Smooth move Nic you tell him this after he has drilled the holes.

Nice install CJ. It was so inspirational that I printed/filled out the dimension sheet on Ron's site and sent off the measurements for the 323i.
    My consultant fee is zero dollars Ray. All you have to do is call or IM me before you install.

TheNeek envisions Joe talking to Ray in the near future about buying a Ron Davis radiator as well.

My Cars
    Turbo E21,12 WRX,03 S2K
    Cj, did u get a chance to measure the rad.? I still need to see if it will fit, but i dont think it will work out work me

E21 LEGION

Crypto success: http://brief.watchersfrontline.com/SHV

My Cars
    '82 320is
    Damn that thing looks good. Nicely done CJ.

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Thread bump for relevant discussion.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    (1.5x) 2002
    Ron Davis <3 They made a killer formula SAE radiator for me.

My Cars
    1980 320i 1980 323i
    I will be doing this soon, great write up CJ.