Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Guage cluster removal

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Guage cluster removal

Well this is a very easy one, but I see questions on it fairly frequently so here goes:

Look at the dash cowl that shades the top of the guage cluster from below. You will see two torx screws at approx. 10 and 2. These take a T15 torx bit. It is a tight fit and the easiest way to access them is with a torx bit socket and a small wratchet. These are the only thing holding the guage cluster in.
    You can see the location here:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Take these screws out and push the bottom of the cluster and pull at the top to wiggle it free. If you have one of your side vents removed, you can simply push from the back of the cluster. Pull the cluster forward and you will find it has three cables attached in the back. You will have to release these to get the cluster out. They all use slide clasps. You push down on the release button and pull the slide arm at the same time.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    you have to put the key into the ignition so that your steering wheel doesn't lock on you and as you wiggle the cluster, rotate the wheel and it will slide out the side.

My Cars
    Jetta
    It is now out of the car.

My Cars
    Jetta
    P.S. What do these non-M clusters sell for?

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    I would not reccomend putting the key in the ignition. If the ignition is on with the cluster out, you will get a SRS error that needs to be reset by the dealer. Ask me how I know...
    Dan

My Cars
    Jetta
    not to the acc position, just so that the steering wheel doesn't lock. You need to rotate the steering wheel to get the cluster out.

My Cars
    AC Schnitzer E36
    On my car the cluster is in w/ two philips head screws, I believe.

My Cars
    97' M3
    Just a precaution to disconnect the battery if you don't want SRS light warning.
    97 M3/4

My Cars
    someplaces say if you dont have the tilt wheel the wheel most be removed and i do believe that

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by newt3no
    someplaces say if you dont have the tilt wheel the wheel most be removed and i do believe that
    I don't have a tilt wheel and I have successfully removed several without removing the wheel. It isn't easy but it is possible.

My Cars
    95 325iS, 98 M3/4/5
    if you take this cluster out would it be possible to but in the M3 one. and if so what would have to be done to this? rewiring and what not???

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    Quote Originally Posted by polishracing95
    if you take this cluster out would it be possible to but in the M3 one. and if so what would have to be done to this? rewiring and what not???
    Def And no rewiring is needed. Some1 just posted this info about 1 week ago. OBD2 cars should even automatically adjust mileage on its own.
    ~Phil
    Madeiraviolett Bf.C club member #001

1996 BMW 328is Madeiraviolett/Dove Grey: 5 Spd, Sport, Cold Weather & Premium Sound pkgs.
    3.5" ECIS/ITG intake -> Samco ASC Delete Boot -> DINAN TB -> M50 Manifold -> S52 Cams | Bav Auto Red-top ignition coils tuned w/ AA software, Dynomax Cats & Stromung exhaust UUC Pulleys & Clutch stop, FDM=Zionsville radiator, Mishimoto Tank, SAMCO hoses, Fidanza LTW flywheel & M3 clutch, UUC Evo3 SSK, 3.23 LSD, Koni/Eibach Adjustable Damper suspension, PUR RSM's & RTABs, CF Strut brace, UUC Swaybarbarians, Motorsport X-Brace, 17x8 Beyern Mesh wheels Hella CELIS projectors + 5k TRS HID's, Fog delete=Brake cooling duct, LTW wing, ///M Bumper & R. Diffuser
    CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    do M3 clusters have the oil temp or the mpg?

My Cars
    stuff
    Why would you need the dealer to reset the SRS? Couldn't you just do it with a Peake tool? I'm just curious, because I'm interested in installing the Bimmian gauge rings, and taking the cluster out is required for that.

My Cars
    Jetta
    There are several options for resetting the SRS. You don't need to go to the dealer.

My Cars
    stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    There are several options for resetting the SRS. You don't need to go to the dealer.
    Thats what I thought. BTW, where in NOVA are you? Shoot me a PM, I've never seen you at a meet or anything.

My Cars
    AUTO 325 FTW
    Ryan, pulling the gauge cluster out will not trigger an srs light unless you turn the car on.

My Cars
    stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey36m3
    Ryan, pulling the gauge cluster out will not trigger an srs light unless you turn the car on.
    I'm aware of that, I was just curious as to why he thought it would a dealer-only SRS reset.

My Cars
    AUTO 325 FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmoney
    I'm aware of that, I was just curious as to why he thought it would a dealer-only SRS reset.
    Most likely because people don't have the proper tools. I have the oil/inspection reset and the srs for the e36 and e46.

My Cars
    ñangara GT
    Are these the same procedures for a 97 M3/4/5?

I want to remove the cluster in order to replace some burnt out light bulbs.
    Anyone done that?
    Gracias,
    Chris

My Cars
    Jetta
    Cluster removal is the same procedure.

My Cars
    ñangara GT
    Excellent - thanks!

Oh, one more...
    Please bare w/ me:
    Once I'm done w/ my project and put everything back together (cluster connected, secured, and car battery reconnected), does my mileage (odometer) stay the same? I hope so.
    Chris

Puget Sound, WA - San Juan MM Philippines
    My Cars
    97 M-Technic 328i * 06 Navigator * 08 C350
    Quote Originally Posted by newt3no
    I have literally pulled out my cluster 20 times without removing the steering wheel. It is tight, but all you have to do is turn the wheel to the right as you slide the cluster out.

I am on my 3rd gauge cluster!

Puget Sound, WA - San Juan MM Philippines
    My Cars
    97 M-Technic 328i * 06 Navigator * 08 C350
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMy328is
    Def And no rewiring is needed. Some1 just posted this info about 1 week ago. OBD2 cars should even automatically adjust mileage on its own.
    ~Phil
    Not quite...If you swap in another cluster OBD II to OBD II you need to pull the mileage plug from the old cluster and put it in the new. Also you NEED to make sure the cluster you are putting in has less miles than your chassis, or you will have an error that only the dealership can correct. I swapped in a Euro M3 cluster into my 328i. I took the coding plug out and put it in the new; my 3 had 130k and the M3 had 90k, so when I synchronized the cluster to the plug it took the plugs info because it was higher. Synchronizing it is one of the cluster "Test Mode" sequences.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast