Thread: DIY: Shift surround console removal

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Shift surround console removal

This isn't truly complete as I am working off old photos and don't need to remove the center console again...however I have been asked for this several times so I am going to try to throw something together.

This is what the shift console looks like when removed.
    Note the red circles around the locations of the screws that need to be removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Follow the how to for removing the sunglass cubby to remove it and the OBC.
    In the armrest DIY I mention how to take off the shift boot, pop out the hazard light from behind and then undo the screw that holds the center console to the shifter surround.
    after you remove the switches, the shift boot, the center console, the cubby hole, the obc, you will be able to look up at the plastic frame at the top of the OBC opening and remove the two screws holding the shift console to the dash.
    After this it should just slide out.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    After I had just finished installing it in my old car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Jetta
    I almost forgot to mention that you do not have to remove the entire unit as pictured.
    the top part comes off the bottom part. So you could avoid taking it off the dash if you just needed to replace the top part. There are two screws that to in the very front, they are parrellel to the ground and go through little plastic clips on the top piece and into metal on the bottom piece. After you remove these two and the two top screws that go into the dash where the the top of the OBC opening is, it will separate from the bottom piece.

My Cars
    Jetta
    As a further note on just removing the top piece without removing the entire assembly.....
    If you remove teh entire console, the screws on the passenger side may require the removal of the glove box witch isn't hard but is somewhat involved.

However if you want to only remove the top piece, you need to look for two screws on the inside of the console on either side. I will take pics tonight and post to explain.

My Cars
    BMW 325i Convertible 1995
    Hi, Wondering if you might shed some "light" on this particulare problem with my 94 325i Conv.Auto. Recently purchased it and it will not pass inspection because the light under the shifter console is missing, actually the only item there are two wires connected to a female connector. I do not know what the thing should look like, can you help me out? Jerry

My Cars
    Jetta
    I am guessing that the light illuminates the gear that you are in. I don't know why that would keep you from passing inspection. How would they even know if that lit up or not...

It could be a couple problems. The connector could have come loose from the back of the bulb. The bulb could have gone bad.

Unless other interior lights are out, those would be the two most likely culprits.

I haven't seen under a convertible shift console before so I couldn't tell you for sure, but I am betting that it will be pretty easy to figure it out once you have it open. If the wires aren't connected to a bulb, connect them and test. If that doesn't do it, buy a new bulb and re-test.

My Cars
    328 ic
    I have a similar issue. The indicator light is stuck on "P". The light works, it just doesn't move.

I've looked at realoem to see if the exploded view of the console would help diagnose. Unfortunately, it didn't help. I would certainly appreaciate any input from anyone who's experienced this. I expect that I will have to take apart the console, but would like to have any necessary parts on hand before undertaking the project.

My Cars
    1997 m3
    I had the same problem, there is a ring that surrounds the shifter that is attached to the light, mine was missing or broken, I just got another center shifter plate off ebay

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

If you want to remove the leather shift boot only, how you do this/ Do you have to remove the shift knob first or the knob stays there untouched?

My Cars
    1993 BMW M3 3.0 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    If you want to remove the leather shift boot only, how you do this/ Do you have to remove the shift knob first or the knob stays there untouched?
    IIRC you just pull off the shift knob, it's pressed on. Then you can pop the boot out of the frame on the console and slide it off the shaft.
    Made in Holland

1993 BMW M3 (3.0 E2 Euro)

Cannondale CAAD 9-5
    Trek 7.5FX

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

Quote Originally Posted by Exige View Post
    IIRC you just pull off the shift knob, it's pressed on. Then you can pop the boot out of the frame on the console and slide it off the shaft.
    So the knob is pressed on and not glued?
    If the knob is removed and inserted back again, will it stay the same tight as before and not become loose?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 02 325iT
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    So the knob is pressed on and not glued?
    If the knob is removed and inserted back again, will it stay the same tight as before and not become loose?
    if you have any type of manual OEM knob then yes. I have taken them off of my cars and other friends cars and they come off/ go back on very easily.
    Hope this helps

328 part out http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1433861
    BMW CCA# 386330 Nittany Bimmers Chapter

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

It is manual and lighted...any caution because of the 2 wires of lighted knob, do the wires have to be disconnected anywhere?

My Cars
    BMW 318is 1995
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    As a further note on just removing the top piece without removing the entire assembly.....
    If you remove teh entire console, the screws on the passenger side may require the removal of the glove box witch isn't hard but is somewhat involved.

However if you want to only remove the top piece, you need to look for two screws on the inside of the console on either side. I will take pics tonight and post to explain.
    I realized I'm going to revive an old post... However, I don't seem to see any pictures to the top piece of the shifter trim. Awaiting your reply! Thanks.