Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Default E46 M3 SMG steering wheel installed!! first impressions

My Cars
    No Car

Last edited by Bernanke; 09-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3

This is interesting though, if I would find a way to make the pedals work
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    '96 M3 Turbo, '04 Yamaha R6
    How much is it for the wheel, paddles, airbag, slipring, etc? See, what would be cooler is if you did the SMG conversion completely and made those paddles useful.

Pics please

Boris
    '96 Cosmos Black M3 422rwhp/407rwtq SAE @ 13psi / 444rwhp/444rwtq SAE @ 14.5psi
    Engine/Drivetrain: Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo TT Turbo Exhaust, M50 Manifold, TMS Oil Baffles, SSR Comps, SPEC Stage II Clutch, UUC SSK, Titanium Cavallino Ti-130R Shift Knob, UUC TME, EMC Diff Bolt, RCCA's. Suspension: GC Coil-overs, GC RSMs, GC RTABs, GC Trans Mount; H&R SB. Instrumentation: VDO Boost, VDO Oil Press, VDO Oil Temp, VDO Water Temp, BMW Traffic Pro Navigation, Valentine One TODO: W/A Injection

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaBimma
    I HATE THAT DAMN smilie, moderators please burn that smiley lol . i knew someone would post that which is why i made the comment about my digital camera so no one would.

I will make the paddles functional but obviously not for shifting the car. I will either have then be speed up and slow down for cruise control, or controlling brightness of the indiglo gauges.
    haha you knew you had it coming when you posted that camera comment

Using it for your CC is a nice idea though.

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S
    hm, I too would really like the gritty details on this. I had asked about the E46 m3 wheel last year, but was told it would never work. I was planning on buying a Raid, but I will have to put those plans on hold till I see how you pulled this off . . .

oh yeah, one more thing:

Sorry. It's just so true . . .
    Last edited by 300ZXNA; 03-21-2005 at 05:41 PM.

My Cars
    Yea I hear you, sometimes you just have to try first.... If no one tries it will never happen anyway.

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S
    Supa, once you are able to get a hold of a camera, if you could take a bunch of photos and do a writeup step by step on this, that would be awesome. So you found the wheel for $450, that includes the airbag correct? What other hardware did you need to buy, or were you able to just modify what you received . . . oh yeah, what is the diameter of the wheel? 360mm? 340mm?

My Cars
    a slow M3
    You should have documented and photographed every step as you installed the steering wheel. It would have proved very useful for us DIY's. Anyway, I know you're tired of this but......

I can't wait to see them man!!

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i
    Nice job man, I want to see pics too. :p But yeah, get some pics later if you can, please. You should just install a carputer and use the volume buttons etc to control it. I would, if I have that steering wheel.

My Cars
    E46
    nice job! Write up of modification to slip ring?

Wheels in Sig are SSR GT3's 19" E46 M3 fitment. Dinan E46 M3 Suspension. Pic thanks to Kyle K.

My Cars
    '16 F82 M4 Comp
    As a point of reference, I think my RAID wheel looks like it absolutely belongs in a BMW. Nice job on the E46 wheel. I would have done that in a heartbeat if I had any confidence the airbag would be compatible with the single-stage depolyment wiring.

'05 330Ci ZHP

My Cars
    1997 hooptie
    does the E46 M3 wheel have radio controls too?

My Cars
    M5,Titan,Range Rover
    Hurry up with those pics and hopefully a DIY to follow . I "upgraded" my 4-spoke to the 3-spoke but it is definately lacking the feel that the E46 M3 wheel has. Truthfully thats one of the only reasons I would even want an E46 M3.

My Cars
    99 M3
    diy diy diy diy diy diy diy diy!
    helloladies

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    the buttons are the same as this,

LHS - volume +/-, tel. mute, R/T(unsure about this one) and an ^/V set, prob for switching stations. these are all simple contact switches compressed into 4 wires which loop to the other side. the RHS set have CC speed +/- an 1/0 (on/off?) and a speed set (?) but the pcb behind this has about 3 microchips and yet again feeds out to 3 wires.
    what you could do is take switching directly from each side of the contact pads, but you'd need a lot of wires, unless you manage to get an e46 type iBus system working which would understand these signals. after a lot of trial and error, i found that putting 12v over the black and white wires linking the 2 button sets will get the illumination working, and i've changed the leds to blue ready for the eventual fitting.
    (these were a real PITA because i never had a desoldering tool, and the LED legs were folded across the board so wont just pull out when heated, and most leds melted and split in two - yes, i am that rough....)
    on the rear side of each spoke, there are also extra buttons added for the switchtronic system, i'm sure this would be able to be wired to the steptronic switch on an e46 to get fingertip control too.
    the slipring which came with this wheel has provisions to get 11 wires through, with 2 being seperately designated as lives for the switchtronic buttons which will then use a common earth.
    i'm guessing this isn't an alpina specific part, but more likely is the same unit used for paddleshift multifunction wheels. i think you can also use the steering column itself as an earth, but this might not be the best available, as my horn would sound when the extension bar i was using to get the centre bolt out earthed it.

i am going to have a try to wire the downshift button to the kickdown pedal in parallel (5sp autobox) so either the the pedal switch or the d.shift button will activate this.
    not sure how it'll take to recieving kickdown signals at less that WOT, so experimentation could be fun. the other upshift button (pah!!, why would anyone want to upshift before the autobox????) could be used to select sports mode as the mode switch is non latching and just requires a pulse to select it.
    yet again, this can be trial and error...

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    fortwo
    seriously dude, haha your mods are the most unconventional ive ever seen. props for not following the rest of the bfc herd with the typical intake, exhaust, crank pulley crowd.

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    damn....that really makes me wanna keep my E46 M3 Steering wheel...

hmmm
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    ///M3
    Im gonna kill you if you dont get pix up!!!

P.S. Airbag functional as dual stage or did you bypass the first stage?

My Cars
    E39
    It's been 24 hours, where's the update?

I'm really interested in doing this. Are you still in the Tucson area?

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    Well guys, its finally done and official. The E46 M3 steering wheel can fit our E36's (granted some modification is required). heres the basic info..
    ya i don't really listen to what people say on this forum anymore when they say "it can't be done" , i just try and prove them wrong

Wow that is GROUND BEAKING NEWS!!!! I have been running with an e46 M3 wheel for 8+ months now.. Oh ya, then there was the e46 wheel for 1+ years before that...

NOW GET AN E46 SLIP RING IN THERE

Oh an for those of you who don't know, there isn't a DIY to put the wheel on. Simply take your old one off, remove the little silver ring at the end of the old base of your e36 wheel put the e46 wheel on and BAM the wheel is on Now, if you want to get everything working.... GOOD LUCK! You can use an e36 slip ring but there aren't enough connectors to put all the stuff on. If you choose to try an e46 slip ring it is TOO THICK and can't be modified to safely work on the e36 (ask me how I know , there was $80 down the drain) Oh ya, an M5 slip ring won't work also.... (again, ask me how I know.... ) Now I had a custom ring up and working for 8 months before it let go. I didn't plan on getting the bag working so didn't care too much about the workmanship...

CrayzeeM3 - No he doesn't have the aibag working.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 2000 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by 332 TMS car
    Wow that is GROUND BEAKING NEWS!!!! I have been running with an e46 M3 wheel for 8+ months now.. Oh ya, then there was the e46 wheel for 1+ years before that...

NOW GET AN E46 SLIP RING IN THERE

Oh an for those of you who don't know, there isn't a DIY to put the wheel on. Simply take your old one off, remove the little silver ring at the end of the old base of your e36 wheel put the e46 wheel on and BAM the wheel is on Now, if you want to get everything working.... GOOD LUCK! You can use an e36 slip ring but there aren't enough connectors to put all the stuff on. If you choose to try an e46 slip ring it is TOO THICK and can't be modified to safely work on the e36 (ask me how I know , there was $80 down the drain) Oh ya, an M5 slip ring won't work also.... (again, ask me how I know.... ) Now I had a custom ring up and working for 8 months before it let go. I didn't plan on getting the bag working so didn't care too much about the workmanship...

CrayzeeM3 - No he doesn't have the aibag working.

you got any pics??

2011 328i X-Drive~Mercedes ML55 AMG~2000 E320~1998 Chevrolet Corvette~2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by x2nervisx
    you got any pics??

don't think that I have any uploaded to my server and am in NYC and the car is 1 hours north of here. Will check and post if I find any on my server.

My Cars
    SMG
    all this thread and still no pics of E46 wheel
    Milltek pipes. Ground control coilovers. Conforti Tuned. V1 & iPod hardwired

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    the easiest way to get an e46 wheel is buy an e46 m3, lol, j/k, yeah when i win the lottery, lol. at least my first job at work today is detailing a black e46 m3 6spd vert, i will certainly enjoy driving that back to the service department.

am very interested in seeing the pics of the install though. i hate my 4 spoke bus wheel and want to replace it with something else. aftermarket or otherwise, what is the easiest wheel to install on the e36 that looks good?, closest thing to plug and play and i dont care about keeping the airbag or having it function.
    Last edited by nightkrawler; 03-24-2005 at 07:03 AM.

My Cars
    red poopbox
    Quote Originally Posted by nightkrawler
    the easiest way to get an e46 wheel is buy an e46 m3, lol, j/k, yeah when i win the lottery, lol. at least my first job at work today is detailing a black e46 m3 6spd vert, i will certainly enjoy driving that back to the service department.

am very interested in seeing the pics of the install though. i hate my 4 spoke bus wheel and want to replace it with something else. aftermarket or otherwise, what is the easiest wheel to install on the e36 that looks good?, closest thing to plug and play and i dont care about keeping the airbag or having it function.
    um, perhaps the euro m-technic II wheel?? (to anyone whos wondering, no airbag)

Element Tuning - 2008/2009 NJMP Redline Time Attack/Formula X Champions [Street & Modified]
    RightFootDown

FS: E36 OEM fogs | UUC Chromoly RLCA's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast