Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First auto X today... diff fell down

My Cars
    Many

Unhappy First auto X today... diff fell down

Well, I had been keeping an eye on my differential mount as I knew it didn't have much time left on it. Today was the first autoX of the season so I was a little nervous about it. Sure enough, I heard a little pop, pulled over, looked under the car, and the differential was about 5" lower than normal. So, I made it back to the "pit" and jacked my car up. I was about 15 miles from my house, so I didn't want to have to tow it. I had taken my amp and sub out for the day, so my wires were just sitting there. I ripped my 4 gauge 12+ and ground out, and used them to keep the differential up. I used another jack in the center of the car to raise the diff back up close to where it should be. I just wrapped the wire around the (sway bar?) and secured it. Not all of the weight was on the bar though because the front mount was still in tact. Anyway, I checked the car every couple of minutes. I made it home ok. Back to the 1.9 for a while...

My question-I would like to do the RF treatment soon. Can I have mine temporarily welded until I get to that point, or will that not work? It doesn't look too complicated down there, and with enough bracing, I think I could make it stronger than stock.

On a side note.... I was VERY pleased with how the car did before it broke. I can't wait to get it back on the road with reinforcements. I'll have a lot more confidence too!

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi

My Cars
    99 M roadster, beater 01 A4 1.8T
    damn, BMW should pay for all of us to have dual ear diff installed

ICS production!!!!!!
    OLD:505WHP/516WTQ Dynojet
    NOW:665WHP/638WTQ
    Eurowerkz
    PBMW mag 06/06

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    OMG!!! :eek

did you have bmw check your diff after you saw that it was on it's last leg?
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
    OMG!!! :eek

did you have bmw check your diff after you saw that it was on it's last leg?
    no

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    Damn, that sucks man. How's it feel going back to back driving ///M and 1.9l?
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeZ
    Damn, that sucks man. How's it feel going back to back driving ///M and 1.9l?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by CDCJON551
    damn, BMW should pay for all of us to have dual ear diff installed
    I'd be okay with that.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeplay
    My question-I would like to do the RF treatment soon. Can I have mine temporarily welded until I get to that point, or will that not work? It doesn't look too complicated down there, and with enough bracing, I think I could make it stronger than stock.
    You should send me an E-mail.
    erandyforbes@aol.com

My Cars
    02 SC430 99 R6
    Dude, wasn't that Nicks car and didn't you just purchase it?!?!?!?! I hope you knew it was going when you bought it....

Once fixed, it will actually be better than new. Good luck.

Ken 99R6
    99 //Mcoupe

My Cars
    Z4 ///M roadster
    Well, I had been keeping an eye on my differential mount as I knew it didn't have much time left on it. Today was the first autoX of the season so I was a little nervous about it. Sure enough, I heard a little pop, pulled over, looked under the car, and the differential was about 5" lower than normal. So, I made it back to the "pit" and jacked my car up. I was about 15 miles from my house, so I didn't want to have to tow it. I had taken my amp and sub out for the day, so my wires were just sitting there. I ripped my 4 gauge 12+ and ground out, and used them to keep the differential up. I used another jack in the center of the car to raise the diff back up close to where it should be. I just wrapped the wire around the (sway bar?) and secured it. Not all of the weight was on the bar though because the front mount was still in tact. Anyway, I checked the car every couple of minutes. I made it home ok. Back to the 1.9 for a while...

On a side note.... I was VERY pleased with how the car did before it broke. I can't wait to get it back on the road with reinforcements. I'll have a lot more confidence too!

WHAT THE HELL?!? Is that my old car that broke or the 1.9?!?
    If it's my car, what do you mean the differential broke?? I have absolutely no idea how this happened because I never had a single problem with that car, and besides taking it to the 1/4 drags a few times, I never abused it. It was never ever on an auto-x or road course. What the hell would cause something like this? Jesus Christ I feel awful, I cannot believe something broke on that car just weeks after selling it considering I drove it for over 2 years with not one single problem. Please inform me of what is going on here, I must be kept updated.
    Thankyou.

My Cars
    '00 Z3-2.8L Roadster, '01BMW 330i & '01Tacoma 4WD

Unhappy Sorry to hear the diff tearing (m)

Glade you were only 15 miles from home. Hope you can get her fixed in a jiffy!

As said before, "BMW should pay for these repairs!"
    Ciao! - - Nathan

2000-2.8L Z3 StahlGrau Roadster, #65 - SM2 and a 2007 335i (BONE STOCK!)
    BMWCCA Tejas Chapter & iZ3 Project Coordinator for the San Antonio Area.
    FEAR MY TWO SEATER!!!!!!!
    Hello, I'm a MOD-A-HOLIC, check out my site to see my addictions! www.z3power.net

Member Since May 30, 2002

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by NickC
    If it's my car, what do you mean the differential broke?? I have absolutely no idea how this happened because I never had a single problem with that car, and besides taking it to the 1/4 drags a few times, I never abused it. It was never ever on an auto-x or road course. What the hell would cause something like this? Jesus Christ I feel awful, I cannot believe something broke on that car just weeks after selling it considering I drove it for over 2 years with not one single problem. Please inform me of what is going on here, I must be kept updated.
    Thankyou.
    i think he is trying to say that his M broke and not his 1.9 He now has to be drivng the 1.9 for a while

ICS production!!!!!!
    Eurowerkz
    PBMW mag 06/06

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Thankyou.
    I imagine doing the 1/4 a few times, hard enough, could stress it a lot...

My Cars
    01 330Ci, 06 F350 SD
    Damn Riley, that sucks dude...well, at least you caught it at a point before even more damage occurred! My car is down and out right now - whole interior is gutted and getting "re-leathered", plus putting on the new shocks and struts, so I'm completely Z'less for about 2 weeks!!! At least you got a 1.9r to ride!!

\\\01 330Ci Schwarz II

My Cars
    Z4 ///M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by 6i9
    I imagine doing the 1/4 a few times, hard enough, could stress it a lot...
    If that's the case, I'm selling the ///M I have right now and never buying another BMW for the rest of my life. ///M stands for motorsports, and if the fricking things cant stand a few launches, that's retarded. The damned things sold for close to $50k new, and what, they're made out of cardboard and chewing gum?
    This is bullshit.
    As well, that ///M I only took to the track a total of 4 times, with combined 12-15 launches.
    Compare that with my Supra's and Vr4's which have literally hundreds of launches and runs in them, with double or more horsepower, and I never had any problems with them save for clutches wearing out.

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    If that's the case, I'm selling the ///M I have right now and never buying another BMW for the rest of my life. ///M stands for motorsports, and if the fricking things cant stand a few launches, that's retarded. The damned things sold for close to $50k new, and what, they're made out of cardboard and chewing gum?
    This is bullshit.
    As well, that ///M I only took to the track a total of 4 times, with combined 12-15 launches.
    Compare that with my Supra's and Vr4's which have literally hundreds of launches and runs in them, with double or more horsepower, and I never had any problems with them save for clutches wearing out.
    I think all BMW's have poor subframe designs. The E30, E36, and E46 3 series all have had subframe tears (there was a thread on E46 M3 failures on e46fanatics)

Very piss-poor faults on BMW's part.

My Cars
    01 330Ci, 06 F350 SD
    This is bullshit.
    Nicely put Nick!!!!

\\\01 330Ci Schwarz II

My Cars
    M Roadster
    That crap back there was not made to handle the torque of even a 2.5. Seems odd since they had to know they were going to put the I6s in there.

98 ///M Roadster - Sharked, FDK, twin Magnaflows, UUC Stage II Flywheel, OEM M5 Clutch, UUC TME Red & Enforcers, Zimmerman rotors, Cosmos CAI, ProjectorZs w DDE, 6K HIDs, fatter rubber on the corners, UUC Underdrive Pulleys, and Stewart High Performance water pump

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    ... that ///M I only took to the track a total of 4 times, with combined 12-15 launches.
    I can appreciate your concern, as I'm sure Freeplay can. Afterall, this would've been you had you kept the car a little longer! I doubt anybody would point a finger at you, so I certainly hope your not feeling guilty. Anybody that has been on this (or the other two major Z3 boards) in the past year or more knows what to look for, what may or may not cause it and that it can be fixed several different ways.

It is very unfortunate for Freeplay, and I hope that it does little to diminish his enthusiasm for what still remains a great car. Once fixed, he should have plenty of confidence to entertain whatever driving style he likes

As for your dozen or so launches, don't give it another thought. My 01 has OVER 500 documented drag-race style launches on it. My damage amounted to three (3) pulled spot welds and the trunkfloor depressed about 1/8" over the differential bracket. Do note that my differential bracket itself still did not have the beginings of a crack starting. Also, all those launches were on Hoosier A3SO3 tires that are substantially stickier than Dunlop 8080s, PilotSports or Potenza SO3s. Who can say why some cars are more prone to damage and other aren't? I can't.

My Cars
    like i said, i still think BMW should pay randy so i can have my car fixed

ICS production!!!!!!
    Eurowerkz
    PBMW mag 06/06

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by CDCJON551
    like i said, i still think BMW should pay randy so i can have my car fixed
    You're not very far down the list, just try to take it easy with that 500 hp until I give it back to you

Perhaps my dual ear differential mount should be included in all Forced Induction packages?

My Cars
    Many
    hey guys... thanks for the support! no, i DO NOT blame nick in any way. I still love this car and figured I would have to get a new subframe sooner or later... so no big deal if it's sooner, right?

i am going to talk to the dealer tomorrow. since i buy and sell bmws for my business, i do a lot of business with them and I think they may help me out a little bit.

also, I got a good deal on the car, and even putting $ into it will keep it far under low book. i am so excited to get it back and race it again. i'll keep you posted. do you guys honsetly want pics? don't they all crack the same way?

My Cars
    MZ3 Coupe, McLaren 12C
    do you guys honsetly want pics? don't they all crack the same way?
    These guys are all picture whores. I could be selling the Mona Lisa and they'd all chirp in unison "Do you have any pictures of it?" So, being a member of this sick group of people, you might as well take the 5 minutes and pacify their morbid curiosity and send pictures of something that I'm sure probably cracks in the same way on each of em.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    ...do you guys honsetly want pics? don't they all crack the same way?
    In truth? No, they don't. I've seen three different areas that fail; sometimes in unison, but usually separate, in varying degrees.

But Brent is right, we love to see the blood & gore...

BTW, I'm glad you're taking it on the chin and have no remorse about getting the car. Shows strong character on your part!

You might ask your dealer if they'd be willing to install my parts for you; afterall, that's how they got sanctioned in the first place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast