Harrison Motorsports
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Parading at RoadAtlanta...

My Cars
    M3

Parading at RoadAtlanta...

Last edited by Ced; 12-01-2005 at 12:19 AM.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Schweet... Thanks!

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    E36 | E55 Wagon | W126
    Heh.

You passed peeples.

Geordie Johnston - E36 Collector.

My Cars
    2010 335d
    Kinda rude, huh?

But I guess that was the point of the video.

I was parked next to the guy in the silver e46 M3 all weekend. His name is Randy and he drove down from Michigan. Real cool guy. I made buddies with him...

I just think its a little inconsiderate. With all the seat-time in the weekend, why did you feel the need to push it during the touring laps?

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    I didn't watch the video but if you passed on parade laps that is really uncool. Driving on a track is dangerous enough, even more so when you pass in what's supposed to be a controlled situation. The guy being passeed probably didn't expect it, there's no corner workers so it's already slightly less safe than normal. What's there to prove during a parade lap?

If you want to pass whenever you want, come racing. On second thought, we probably don't want you racing if you do silly stuff such as passing in a parade lap.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    i3/E46 M3/SE30/325iT
    C'mon Ced - you know that wasn't a good idea. Judging by the hand signals the guy gave you coming out of turn 5, I think the only reason he let you pass is because you were following him so close through the rest of the track. You could've backed way off and then gotten up your speed if you wanted to take some fast corners, and even though that's frowned on I think it would've been better than passing two cars.

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Ced
    watch the video. the guy told me to pass. It was a 5 mph pass... I don't need a lesson from you...give me a break! Watch the video, and sit down, Mr. Greatest Racer at Road Atlanta...
    Okay man, my bad.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    i dont know. i have never been to or claim to be a racer but that seemed like a dick move. i do not know anything about track etiqutte(sp?)/.....was that the finger he gave you the first time. ive been on mtn drives and offered to pull over for the drivers behind me...ie...mark but ive never been forced to pull over because of someone on my ass.

maybe some of the folks with track time can enlighten me?

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by VANCE
    maybe some of the folks with track time can enlighten me?
    You're on the right track. Again, I didn't watch the video but if Ced was on his ass then he gave the point by because he was feeling pressured. Pressure from behind is a real deal, I've seen many cars spin right in front of me because I was on their ass. Difference is that it was a race condition...not a freakin' parade lap.

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Okay, I just watched the video. Totally unacceptable and unfortunately you wouldn't get in trouble because there weren't any corner workers to turn you in. The guy you passed was a 'C' student...don't know him but he could probably outdrive you with one hand behind his back.

He was probably driving slow because he had his wife with him...or maybe because they were parade laps!!! What's your story, who was in your car...who were you trying to impress? And who goes through the trouble of videotaping parade laps...really.

You can have a little fun and not scare the hell out of everybody, here's a tip. Next time slow to about 20 and build a gap...then go into the corner a little hot.

My Cars
    Nissan Altima Limited Ed
    nice car

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 Z51 Vette, 82 CE Vette, 97 M3, 04 F250 D
    CED, I assume your name is C Bailey, I will have to watch for that name when it tries to register for any future schools with the Peachtree Chapter for Road Atlanta DEs...perhaps I also need to contact Heart of Dixie, I know their Chief Instructor quite well...

I bet the name is Cedric Bailey, from Alabama. Student back in October 2004 with Peachtree Chapter? I believe with what two DEs under your belt as of end of October 2004.

Sharing video like that is one sure way to get the Sunday touring laps cancelled from now on. Do you actually want to ruin it for all the other people that enjoy the touring sessions?

Tom Melton
    Chief Instructor
    Peachtree Chapter BMW CCA

My Cars
    Nissan Altima Limited Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by tommelton
    CED, I assume your name is C Bailey, I will have to watch for that name when it tries to register for any future schools with the Peachtree Chapter for Road Atlanta DEs...perhaps I also need to contact Heart of Dixie, I know their Chief Instructor quite well...

I bet the name is Cedric Bailey, from Alabama. Student back in October 2004 with Peachtree Chapter? I believe with what two DEs under your belt as of end of October 2004.

Sharing video like that is one sure way to get the Sunday touring laps cancelled from now on. Do you actually want to ruin it for all the other people that enjoy the touring sessions?

Tom Melton
    Chief Instructor
    Peachtree Chapter BMW CCA
    holy crap, BUSTED!!!!

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Shouldn't the corner workers be out there anyway? Maybe this is a lesson learned for future events for all of us, so that the touring laps can continue to be held. Similar to airport security, there are ways to ensure better safety for everyone, which new regulations for all are adhered to.
    Your tone changed quick, from hot shot to revolutionary calling for 'change'. Corner workers need a break, and touring laps are a great way for spouses and spectators to get a taste. As long as nobody acts like a tool, there's no need for corner workers on touring laps. Corner workers have nothing to do with this. You can never guarantee safety on a race track, all you can do is minimize risks and be smart out there. I'd like to see touring laps stick around, my kids love them (wife's a little scared though).

I think I've displayed in both my driving and bf.c posts that I have abolutely zero ego to bruise. But what do you say about a person who posts videos of himself tailgating other cars at 40 mph, passing fairly close and then editing in little graphics announcing his greatness? I assume you do the same crap on the streets...you give BMW owners a bad name.

I want to attract people to HPDEs and racing, so I'd hate to see you drop the hobby or get banned from local events. Instead of trying to change the rules why don't you try to conform to them. Melton and others have been doing this a long time, it's a tad ludicrous for you to demand wholesale changes to combat your own bad behavior. What you should do is email Tom Melton and promise never to these things again. You'll have an asterisk next to your name but that will go away if you're responsible over the next couple of events.

My Cars
    Cedric,

Email from the Peachtree Chapter President follows:

"Tom,

Well said on BF.

It is simple. Do not, under any circumstances, accept him as a student
    again. When an another action like this leads to a catastrophic
    accident the Chapter is at risk for not taking the appropriate steps to
    correct the problem. When the Chapter is at risk, the Board gets named
    in the litigation.

This could have been resolved in another way had Cedric shown
    contrition. We don't need to suffer fools nor coddle immature
    children.

Feel free to quote me, all or in part, on Bimmerforums or in any email
    exchange.

Bruce Herstowski
    President
    Peachtree Chapter BMW CCA"

Tom speaking here - I will be contacting HOD Chapter (runs Barber), Tarheel (VIR), First Coast (Roebling), and PBOC (Sebring). We are very lucky to always have to turn away students...actions like yours will ensure you will not run with us at a Peachtree Event. I cannot speak for the other organizations, but hopefully they will follow suit.

-Tom

My Cars
    e61
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko
    I assume you do the same crap on the streets...you give BMW owners a bad name.

I want to attract people to HPDEs and racing, so I'd hate to see you drop the hobby or get banned from local events. Instead of trying to change the rules why don't you try to conform to them. Melton and others have been doing this a long time, it's a tad ludicrous for you to demand wholesale changes to combat your own bad behavior. What you should do is email Tom Melton and promise never to these things again. You'll have an asterisk next to your name but that will go away if you're responsible over the next couple of events.
    Too late. The man isn't welcome at any future Chapter Driving event. A little contrition would have gone a long way.

Bruce Herstowski
    President
    Peachtree Chapter President

My Cars
    e61
    Two additional comments.

1. This action will cause the Chapter Board to immediately review "Parade Laps" policy.
    2. The concept of having to "black flag" someone on a Parade or Touring Lap is absurd and defeats the purpose.

Bruce Herstowski

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    we can talk in person whenever you want. I have nothing to hear from you, so sit down. You just talking smack behind a keyboard!!! I'm in Atlanta right now. Let me know!
    To this point I've tried to help you but you're beyond help apparently. If you feel compelled to find me I'll be at pretty much any non-scca and non-PCA Road Atlanta race. PM me if you want to guarantee I'll be there.

How you like me now?
    I like you a little less than before. Initially you seemed enthused about track driving and was a sponge for new information. In the end, you're just another punk kid driving more car than he can handle.

Does anybody else see the comedy in this thread (well, besides Ced)? The guy posts video of himself breaking the rules then has to suffer the consequences. What's next, Ced's going to rob a bank and pose for security cam photos?

My Cars
    '09 BMW Performance 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceH
    Two additional comments.

1. This action will cause the Chapter Board to immediately review "Parade Laps" policy.
    2. The concept of having to "black flag" someone on a Parade or Touring Lap is absurd and defeats the purpose.

Bruce Herstowski
    I hope the CCA wouldn't cancel parade or touring laps because of one bad apple. I'm a BMWCCA member, and although I haven't been to a Peachtree Chapter event, I have done a few events at the Road Atlanta open track days. The touring and parade laps are a nice addition to a track day. I would like to think Ced is more the exception than the rule for drivers who attend these events.

Reviewing the policy would be good. I didn't break any rules because I wasn't given any; plus I didn't cause any safety hazards...

I think the black flag is absurb in a parade too, but your new policy which must be communicated and stated that under NO circumstances shall anyone pass in a parade lap.
    Did you really gain anything by passing those two cars? How much faster was the first section of cars going than the section you were in? Maybe an additional 15mph? Just because the club had not stated the rule of no passing for those laps, shouldn't a little common sense and impulse control take over?

The measure of a man is not how he acts when others are looking, but how he acts when they are not. I think the members of this forum and of the CCA deserve direct answers to those direct questions. And more importantly, it's important for you to answer them for yourself.
    Last edited by Experimental M3; 03-20-2005 at 01:22 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Experimental M3
    I hope the CCA wouldn't cancel parade or touring laps because of one bad apple.
    We won't cancel them due to this issue alone. We feel it is important that participants and non-participants have the ability to see the track, to be able to show family and friends what it is that participants see and feel, and to be able to get others into this sport. Driving on a racetrack, whether at speed or at touring lap speed is addictive.

-Tom

My Cars
    '09 BMW Performance 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by tommelton
    We won't cancel them due to this issue alone. We feel it is important that participants and non-participants have the ability to see the track, to be able to show family and friends what it is that participants see and feel, and to be able to get others into this sport. Driving on a racetrack, whether at speed or at touring lap speed is addictive.
    I'm glad to hear that this is the perspective of the club. Thanks for posting back, Tom!

Brian

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    That behavior during a touring lap is absolutely uncalled for - at least he got what he deserved. I wouldn't want to share the track with someone when we were at speed if they act like that in a touring lap of all things.

Glad that they'll be continued at future events. Hornswoggler was behind me during the few touring laps that I was doing and he never passed me even though I was driving all the corners with the craziest line I could think of just because I never get the chance to feel what the track is like at say, really early at T12. It'd be a shame to lose such a great opportunity due to someone's childish behavior.

BTW - I just got back from my first NASA event(krisko, you weren't at your car the two times I walked by on Saturday, was going to come by and see what was going on) - and they seriously turned me and a friend away for touring laps when I was 10 minutes late because the classroom session ran over!!! To top it off they were completely rude to me when telling me to "get out of the hot pits", and yelled at me when I didn't exit the hot pits going UP the pit entrance ramp(which is backwards, and downright dangerous). The whole event really made me appreciate the professional yet friendly atmosphere at Peachtree BMWCCA events.

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Def
    Glad that they'll be continued at future events. Hornswoggler was behind me during the few touring laps that I was doing and he never passed me even though I was driving all the corners with the craziest line I could think of just because I never get the chance to feel what the track is like at say, really early at T12.
    That's a great way to use touring laps, drive off line the entire time and see what it does to the car and the crap you get into (marbles, dirt). I had issues all day so I was rarely at my car...missed qualifying and started in the back of the pack for the race but just did a warm up lap before it overheated.

I'm really surprised by the hassles you got from NASA. In my experience they are a lot more easy going than Peachtree. I used to think Peachtree was needlessly strict but recent events show that the BMW crowd needs to be watched a little more closely than other crowds.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko
    I'm really surprised by the hassles you got from NASA. In my experience they are a lot more easy going than Peachtree. I used to think Peachtree was needlessly strict but recent events show that the BMW crowd needs to be watched a little more closely than other crowds.
    Sorry to hear about your car. Mine got some nasty pad deposits on the rotors and the car was shaking like mad when braking at some certain speed ranges. Was still getting around the track alright though.

As for the hassles, yea - they were extremely rude about the parade laps, and I'm kinda pissed since a friend drove from Atlanta for those and they turned me away when I was being held up in classroom(which I wasn't impressed with to say the least).

I also got black flagged for noise on Sunday(but have passed Sunday noise at two Peachtree DEs with the car just like it is just fine), and they wouldn't even tell me the sound limit they were using. The response I got is, "if you get a cop's attention on the street you were probably doing something wrong in the first place. The solution is to don't get his attention." That statement right there is just the epitomy of a condescending attitude. I wasn't trying to say that my car wasn't loud, in fact I prefaced my questions with that statement to let them know that I wasn't trying to whine about being black flagged. Even after explaining that I was just trying to get some more information to make sure I didn't have/cause this problem in the future I got the "just don't get the cop's attention" line.

Pretty sad that paying so much for a service got me that kind of treatment. I've never had any issues with how I was treated at any Peachtree events I've attended. I always walked away pleased with the entire BMWCCA experience, but this NASA event didn't impress me...

My instructor was pretty cool though, if a bit lacking with suggestions. He just seemed to be really excited whenever we'd pass P-cars and Corvettes(no, my car really isn't that fast, most the guys in HPDE-2 were a bit "timid" in the corners).

My Cars
    BMW 323IS, 2004 X3 3.0i
    I'm not worried.
    Then why is the video taken down now tough guy?

[/b]

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast