Thread: Looking at buying 98 540, comments pls

My Cars
    99 Chevrolet Corvette, 98 BMW 540iA, misc. beaters

Looking at buying 98 540, comments pls

New to the bimmer forum, did a bunch of searches already but wanted your feedback. I'm looking at buying a '98 540 (VIN WBADE6327WBW59948) w/ 76.5K that was just traded in at a local new car dealer. The dealer will most likely wholesale the car out since they typically only keep cars that have less than 50K or can be CPO'ed. Sales person told me that they have a wholesale buyer offering $18500 for the car. I can buy it for $18900 ($400 inspection/paperwork fee.)

I checked KBB, Edmunds, NADA and prices range from $14800 trade-in to $23375 retail. My gut is telling me $18500 is a little high for '98 vehicle with 75K plus miles on it.

Car is in nice condition, appears to have been well kept. CarFax comes up clean.

Details:
    1998 540i
    Silver ext, Black int
    Auto (I know, I know, get a 6 sp, but a bum clutch foot is forceing me to look at autos.)
    76,500 miles
    100% factory loaded
    Sport and Premium packages

previous (2nd) owner added some perf upgrades. STB, chip, M5 steering wheel, 18" BMW wheels, XM radio/sub/amp

Radiator and overflow bottle was replaced at approx 50K I guess. Car was CPO'ed when 2nd owner purchased it but of course is out of warranty now.

Comments on price and anything specific I should look for? I have to act on this ASAP otherwise the car will go to the wholesale man.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 6x6man; 03-17-2005 at 03:17 AM.

My Cars
    1995 540i A(sold)
    Don't let a bunch of goofballs like us tell you what you should do.

I mean that, because, the car doesn't seem to have any real issues, the price is right in the middle and it seems to serve your needs.

It doesn;t have alot of debatable stuff, it is really a choice for you, do you or don't you?

I have a feeling you allready know what you are going to do..
    E34 540iA Sold 1/06......

My Cars
    1991 E34 M5
    That's not a bad deal or a great deal.
    Remember BMW made a ton of 540's
    so I think I'd try to better the deal if
    it's a nice car. If it falls through there's
    lots of 540's out there for sale.

click for full size

1991 E34 M5 Dinan Stage3 Suspension, Konis, Dinan Cam Gears and Software, Kelleners Strut Bar, Staggered 8-9in Polished Throwing Stars, Header Back Custom Exhaust with Eisenmann 83mm Race Muffler, Front and Rear K-40 Radar, Passenger Canyon Puke Bags
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake View Post
    you're just mad cause e34 m5's will leave 100 foot strips of rubber in front of your house, while hauling a couple of dogs and some groceries, and still enough room to bang your wife in the back seat.

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    sounds like a good price. At 76k miles all the cooling issues should have been fixed, i say get it.
    BFC Nikonian #1

My Cars
    mostly BMWs
    That is a good price. I would jump on it.

My Cars
    1997 540i, Honda 400ex, Suzuki DRZ 450
    That salesman is full of crap if he is telling you that they have a wholesale offer for 18000.

97 540's are doing 10-13 at the auction right now. If I remember correctly the 98s were doing around 12-15.

I'd say around 16 is the most you should pay for that car.

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    dec 24th i picked up my 98 540i/6 w/84Kmiles loaded with nav, shades, winter package for $15.5. Orient blue with tan interior. i got it at a wholesale dealer and i know he made $500 off me... so what, he needs to live too.

just a public announcement.

My Cars
    Thanks for the feedback. I too was thinking $16K would be a price I would jump on, just wanted a reality check I guess. I hate being rushed into things, and this is only the second BMW I've test driven, (the other was a '99 528 which also was nice, but all things are relative right.)

My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x6man
    Thanks for the feedback. I too was thinking $16K would be a price I would jump on, just wanted a reality check I guess. I hate being rushed into things, and this is only the second BMW I've test driven, (the other was a '99 528 which also was nice, but all things are relative right.)
    i'll offer $15 flat. no nav or shades. does it have a cd changer?

My Cars
    No nav, no shades. It did have the OEM CD changer but the previous owner replaced the stock sound system with an aftermarket system (XM radio, MP3 player.)

I plan on talking to the dealer on Friday and will take a closer look at the car. If it looks good underneath, (no signs of rust), maybe I'll offer $16K and see what they say.

My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x6man
    No nav, no shades. It did have the OEM CD changer but the previous owner replaced the stock sound system with an aftermarket system (XM radio, MP3 player.)

I plan on talking to the dealer on Friday and will take a closer look at the car. If it looks good underneath, (no signs of rust), maybe I'll offer $16K and see what they say.
    I still say $15. does it have full maintance history from day 1? i got mine that's been dealer maintained since day 1 so i felt totally comfortable with what was and wasn't done.

take $500 off for that since you'll be gettign an inspection II right out of the gate.