Thread: Newbie to BMW - How reliable is 540i-6sp 97&up

My Cars
    1995 hellrot M3

Newbie to BMW - How reliable is 540i-6sp 97&up

Entering the Bemmer world and doing lot's of investigating. I like the performance & size of the 540i with 6sp. Thought of the M3 4dr as well for the fam of course.

Are there any known issues with the 97 and newer E39's. This seems to be the best bang for the buck or I could be wrong. Many models out there. I am aware of the engine issue on the E34 and other basic problems that face most bemmers.

How are the 97-up models to work on. Can home mechanic do this or special equipment and programming needed for this?

I am actually selling my 85 911 for this cause

Thanks,

My Cars
    1967 Camero RS
    check here for common problems and fixes.

http://www.540i6.com/probsfixes.html

My Cars
    Continuum transfunctioner
    pics of '85 Carrera or ban
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmergirl23
    gezee, if it bothers you that much then don’t f*ing reply and tell me how to delete this thread! You all suck! This is the most awful forum ever!

My Cars
    '98 540i/6
    Most of the issues involved with the E39's are DIY for the home mechanic. There are tons of sites like www.bmwdiy.info www.bmwtips.com that can help you pretty much tackle and small to mid sized job on the car.
    Greco540
    '98 540i/6 Biarritz Blue/Beige

Mods:CDV, Rogue Engineering Octane Short Shifter w/ WSR, Rogue Engineering Performance Transmission Mounts, Royal Purple Synchromax Transmission Fluid, GruppeM Filter Ram Charger

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    it's only as reliable as it's maintanence history. preventative maintanence is your best friend so change the radiator before it's too late to get stuck. that's the only thing that really scares me.

other then that, tires eat quick depending on the softness and driving style. I was in the market for a M3/4 but when the power and safety overweighed the M3, the 540i/6 is the way to go. wonder why they stopped making the M3/4....

My Cars
    1995 S/C 540i/6spd 4.4L...1990 535i/5spd
    I have a mint '90 535i 5 speed with fresh engine/paint/Rd springs/Belstein shocks/Racing Dynamics muffler/MM 17 wheels etc...will trade for Porche.

My Cars
    1991 E34 M5
    Why sell 85 Carrera?
    That's one of the best years.
    Pics of Carrera are an order.
    Maybe you need both...

click for full size

1991 E34 M5 Dinan Stage3 Suspension, Konis, Dinan Cam Gears and Software, Kelleners Strut Bar, Staggered 8-9in Polished Throwing Stars, Header Back Custom Exhaust with Eisenmann 83mm Race Muffler, Front and Rear K-40 Radar, Passenger Canyon Puke Bags
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake View Post
    you're just mad cause e34 m5's will leave 100 foot strips of rubber in front of your house, while hauling a couple of dogs and some groceries, and still enough room to bang your wife in the back seat.

My Cars
    1995 S/C 540i/6spd 4.4L...1990 535i/5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Mblaster
    Why sell 85 Carrera?
    That's one of the best years.
    Pics of Carrera are an order.
    Maybe you need both...
    No Dan,he needs a mint '90 535i.