Thread: DIY: Removing the third brake light

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Removing the third brake light

Obviously the first step is to remove the rear parcel shelf.
    After that you have to go into the trunk and remove one nut as well as the light bulb socket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Then lift up above the bolt and wiggle backwards to remove:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    Disconnect the wiring harness and you are done.

My Cars
    E21, JUKE
    Do you have a DIY, as to how to remove the rear parcel shelf? Or is it totaly straight forward?

My Cars
    328is-SOLD 2005 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    what is the benefit to this?

AC Shnitzer 17" wheels, Alpine head unit,iPod integrated, clears all around, Debaffled Airbox,

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Spdaddict516 View Post
    what is the benefit to this?
    Cars that came with a spoiler stock usually did not have this third brake light in the window. So if you have added a lighted spoiler to your car, it's kinda pointless to have.

My Cars
    E21, JUKE
    Yeam in my case I'm trying to figure out how to remove the shelf, to cover it in suede... but don't want to damage it so I'm seeing if hes got a write up for it.

My Cars
    Jetta
    It is here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=348275

Starting with post #37
    Last edited by old skool; 05-22-2007 at 04:54 AM.

My Cars
    have a couple
    good thread

My Cars
    97 Dakar M3
    sorry for bumping an old thread...old skool, do you get an OBC light when you do this?

My Cars
    Jetta
    I didn't keep it out, so I can't say

My Cars
    '97 328is
    Any specific reason why you didn't keep it in? I'm planning on doing this today or so.

Edit: Maybe I'll just pull the bulb...
    Last edited by Gryz; 04-06-2010 at 12:28 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318IS
    i moved mine out so the tinter could tint that area because imo its looks butt ugly when u just tint around it

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Bumping this instead of making a new thread. In my e36 m3 I bought I have a rear brake deck lid like in this thread. The car came with a oem spoiler like this..

I removed the spoiler and I am adding a Abrahams LTW wing. Right now when I look in the trunk to add a bulb to the third brake light it looks exactly like the first post in this thread.

I found out I need a 7506 bulb and when I went to put it in it obviously doesn't fit. Is all that I am missing is this.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-M3-...rake/ES174244/

It looks like there is a plug connector on this. Or am I seeing things. Do I just need this piece and put the bulb in it then put that in the opening in the car? Thanks in advance for the help. I feel like an idiot but it's hard to find the answer while searching. That's how I came across this thread in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I guess it's not a plug. Looks like that piece is all I need.

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
    Bumping this instead of making a new thread. In my e36 m3 I bought I have a rear brake deck lid like in this thread. The car came with a oem spoiler like this..I removed the spoiler and I am adding a Abrahams LTW wing. Right now when I look in the trunk to add a bulb to the third brake light it looks exactly like the first post in this thread.I found out I need a 7506 bulb and when I went to put it in it obviously doesn't fit. Is all that I am missing is this.http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-M3-...rake/ES174244/It looks like there is a plug connector on this. Or am I seeing things. Do I just need this piece and put the bulb in it then put that in the opening in the car? Thanks in advance for the help. I feel like an idiot but it's hard to find the answer while searching. That's how I came across this thread in the first place.- - - Updated - - -Oh I guess it's not a plug. Looks like that piece is all I need.
    how did you get this spoiler off??? http://images.bimmerforums.com/smilies/help.gif

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerHeadRoss View Post
    how did you get this spoiler off??? http://images.bimmerforums.com/smilies/help.gif
    thanks man good luck with yours i got mine on thanks man