Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Removing rear vent window

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Removing rear vent window

You will first have to remove the c-pillar cover. This is a fabric piece that covers the metal between the vent window and rear windshield. This piece is easy to remove. You simply get your fingers under the edge of it and start to carefully pull outwards. There are a couple plastic pieces that are fit into holes in the metal of the car and held in place by metal spring clips. Starting from the top and working downward, you will know when you have released the cover. Then simply pull upwards to slide it out of the catch at the bottom.

You will see the metal bracket that holds the window popper in place. The two bolts that hold it there are M8.

Edit: you can also check the headliner removal DIY for more detail on removing the c-pillar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by old skool; 09-05-2006 at 04:41 PM.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Next you have to remove the b-pillar cover. This is the part that holds the seat belt.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    Remove the cover on the seat belt sliding mechanism:

My Cars
    Jetta
    Use an M16 socket to remove the seat belt slider.
    It helps but isn't necessary to slightly pull back the felt/rubber seals on either side as the b-pillar sits behind them.
    To get this cover off simply start at the top again and start to pull outwards. It takes some force but be careful. As you get the top to release, put your hand behind and add support the thin plastic center of the sliding mechanism. That little handle that you push to adjust the height of the seat belt has to come off. You can either pull it off first or pull the whole thing off at once by putting your hand behind and adding support to the thin plastic in the middle.
    The bottom slides up to release the plastic catch.
    Last edited by old skool; 03-12-2005 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Once you remove the plastic cover, you will need to remove the metal bracket behind it.
    This requires the use of a T40 torx bit.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Once you remove this piece you will see one hole in the b pillar that was covered. Inside this recess is a nut. Below it is another nut. These two nuts hold the window on at the b-pillar. These are removed easily with a 10mm socket and extension.

My Cars
    Jetta
    removed it looks like this:

My Cars
    Jetta
    vent window popping arm and 8mm bolts:

My Cars
    Jetta
    front of window:

My Cars
    Jetta
    Removed from outside of car:

My Cars
    IG: Clearsandadrop
    You did a really good walkthrough, but why are you taking out your windows??

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by m3mobbin
    You did a really good walkthrough, but why are you taking out your windows??
    Well I am parting the car completely....but my ultimate goal is to swap these windows over to the new car so that I can retain my tint.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here are the nuts on the inside of the b-pillars that remove the glass:

My Cars
    Jetta
    bump for Monday

My Cars
    yes
    1995 bmw 525i - how do i remove the rear seat to get to the battery. thank you

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by nathjr View Post
    Don't need to remove the rear seat to remove the battery in an E36...

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    Don't need to remove the rear seat to remove the battery in an E36...
    He said 525

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by nathjr View Post
    pull the bottom seat cushion straight up. It'll come out. It's just clipped in place.

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    handle windows very carefully, one wrong pressure point on it will cause it to crack very easily

My Cars
    2006 ZHP Coupe, '00 986S
    I need to replace my rubber around the window frame. Thanks!

My Cars
    '92 325is
    Extremely helpful. Thanks for such a detailed DIY
    Alpine X-305 w/ipod. Mtx 5.25" and 6x9's. M3 front bumper. Clear fogs. 6000k Dj Auto's. New Roundels. Seat Covers. K&N replacement air filter. Weighted Shift Knob. Shift/Ebrake boots. Steering wheel cover. Dyed black carpet. Brakes and resurfaced rotors. LED license plate bulbs. License plate cover. Turn signal bulbs. Some fuses. Spark plugs. Fuel filter. Gaskets. Outside door handle trim. Refinished wheels. Exhaust gaskets. Headliner and pillars.. Tint and paint soon.

My Cars
    '00 Z3M, '06 Z4M
    Attempted to do this today and dropped one of the nuts that hold the window. I'm pretty sure it fell inside the body and now it's just going to rattle around down there. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Check out my M Roadster projects and DIYs:
    Cooling system part 1: https://youtu.be/ERqztIL1DPw
    Cooling system part 2: https://youtu.be/-DnclDkn2hI
    Power convertible top: https://youtu.be/KLYNqkCBh_M
    Head unit removal: https://youtu.be/LKe9fPKrAqE

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    Use an M16 socket to remove the seat belt slider.
    It helps but isn't necessary to slightly pull back the felt/rubber seals on either side as the b-pillar sits behind them.
    To get this cover off simply start at the top again and start to pull outwards. It takes some force but be careful. As you get the top to release, put your hand behind and add support the thin plastic center of the sliding mechanism. That little handle that you push to adjust the height of the seat belt has to come off. You can either pull it off first or pull the whole thing off at once by putting your hand behind and adding support to the thin plastic in the middle.
    The bottom slides up to release the plastic catch.
    Is there any securing tab that holds that little handle in place?
    I am talking about little handle that is used to adjust the seat belt height, it is not coming out and I can not remove the b pillar cover out of there because of this little piece.
    Help.

My Cars
    BMW 335i 6mt nav
    Quote Originally Posted by Andryuha View Post
    Attempted to do this today and dropped one of the nuts that hold the window. I'm pretty sure it fell inside the body and now it's just going to rattle around down there. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    I need to figure out how to replace rear window on a 4 door. The bar that separates the 2 rear windows has to be removed to install main window but I don't see how to reinstall that bar now,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast