Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Removing the center vent

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Removing the center vent

You first have to remove the stereo. To do this you have to open the two small flaps on the sides and then use the factory tool or a small allen wrench and twist until the catches release and allow you to slide the deck forward.

Looking up you see two screws going up into the bottom of the vent. Remove these.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Pull the bottom out and then slide downward to release the plastic clip holding on the upper left corner.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    You will not be able to remove it at this point.
    There is a cable attached to the back of the left most dial that controls the bias in temperature between feet and face vents.
    In order to release this cable you will need to remove the lower driver's side knee panel and the heat shield beneath it.
    Once you do this if you look towards the center of the car on the side of the central plastic core to the ventilation system you will see a blue cable with a yellow end.

My Cars
    Jetta
    You have to release it in two places. The first is at the bottom of the cable on the side of the heater core vents.
    It is a black plastic hoop that is snapped over top the white nub that looks like it is split in two. You will see this at the center of the picture

My Cars
    Jetta
    The second place is at the yellow portion of the cable. It is snapped into a black catch on the side of the ventilation chamber. In these last three pictures down is to the right.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Removed, the complete assembly looks like this:

My Cars
    94 325i - 91 Prelude - 85 P'UP
    Thanks for the info old skool. I have a rattle coming from my center vent that I need to hunt down and kill, and this makes my life much easier.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Glad to hear it.

My Cars
    96 328is
    This article covered my initial problem, but what is the trick to removing the lower driver's side knee panel and the heat shield beneath it. As usual I feel there is a brain saving tip that will help.

Thanks for all your DIY's.

My Cars
    Jetta
    I have those writeups in my sig. Follow the link to the BF.C articles and you should be able to find one that covers this.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Nice, tried this myself, but wasn't sure on how the get the cable off.

Btw, the cable on the vent is the bias between hot/cold air coming from it without effecting the foot and window vent temps.

Maybe a little nuance....

That scrollwheel is still highly strange. Image climate control set at 30 degrees. Now the temp sensor will detect cabin temp and alter fanspeed and prolly warm/cold air to get into the cabin too get it to the set temp.

Now the temp is 30 and you begin playing with the scrollwheel on the centre vent. You want a little colder air so you don't fall asleep. But with this cold(er) air coming in, the temp sensor should register a decrease in temp and will start changing output untill the set temp is reached again.

So it's kinda odd.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1996 328i
    BMW's seem like the most complicated cars to take apart. I am always breaking things. Thanks for this excellent instruction.

Maybe they are hard to take apart, because the are so well put together!
    1996 328i HID 166,000 miles bought 6/2006 for $3750

Windows XP CarPC with 14 inch flat panel touchscreen running Streetdeck with GPS, Mp3's, OBD-II, 802.1G, Verizon EVDO, Remote desktops, XM radio, rearcam and more! Microsoft Rules!

My Cars
    1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP
    Allow me to revive this thread to say thanks much to the OP and others. I used the information here to replace the center vent on my 98 recently. Here's a linky to my DIY. Not much new info there, but a few more pictures. Hope others find it helpful...

http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/center_vent/

-Doug

My Cars
    Jetta
    Looks good

My Cars
    93 325is PTC/GTS2
    Not sure what happened but mine is nothing like your's. Just a simple connector behind the radio panel. Wish I hadn't spent an hour trying to find that blue cable. Bummer!

This is mine 93 325is built 12/92 if it matters.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Interesting. What AC controls do you have? The digital climate control or the analog AC control?

One option is to start to pull the vent out of the dash and look behind it to see if it has the blue cable attached to it.

My Cars
    93 325is PTC/GTS2
    Analog I thought but digital would explain it. It came out really easy once I figured out that the blue cable didn't exist. One clip right in behind the radio. Should have taken less than 5 minutes.

This is not a critique just a heads up for others. Maybe someone can explain which models have which style of connection.

My Cars
    '06 BMW 330CI ZHP CABRIO
    pre-9/96 have the eletric plug, post 9/96 have the blue cable which i am still trying to get to. The metal wall is hell to get off.

My Cars
    BMW 316i E36
    Will the cable in question here be the same cable that allows the temp control to change from Hot to Cold

Reason is that my control does not change and is always on cold, when i turn it to heat it goes around 360 so i'm guessing the cable is loose....

Bump

Thanks

My Cars
    Jetta
    The cable adjusts the temperature of the center vent relative to the rest of the vents. It can be adjusted to colder or hotter.

My Cars
    e36 328i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by mopark 316 View Post
    Will the cable in question here be the same cable that allows the temp control to change from Hot to Cold

Reason is that my control does not change and is always on cold, when i turn it to heat it goes around 360 so i'm guessing the cable is loose....

Bump

Thanks
    same problem as me! did you ever resolve ? or anyone esle know what needs to be done ?

Thanks!
    m

My Cars
    90' M3, 98' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    I have those writeups in my sig. Follow the link to the BF.C articles and you should be able to find one that covers this.
    I do not see one that covers this in the link in your sig. Can you give me another hint?
    4>2 Club member #3

My Cars
    Newly acquired POS 93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by kolo1racer View Post
    Not sure what happened but mine is nothing like your's. Just a simple connector behind the radio panel. Wish I hadn't spent an hour trying to find that blue cable. Bummer!
    Where did you unplug it from? I can't seem to find it on my 93 318is.

My Cars
    SV650 & '13 WRX Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatted85 View Post
    Where did you unplug it from? I can't seem to find it on my 93 318is.
    Bump

BMWCCA #387539

My Cars
    Newly acquired POS 93 318is
    Anyone know? Dont leave us nonbluecable guys out in the cold!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast