Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HFM and Oxygen sensor cleaning solution....

My Cars
    No Car

Exclamation .

Last edited by Bernanke; 09-07-2011 at 07:07 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    stuff works great to dry up Poison Ivy too! (although the CFC's probably help cancer). I happen to have had a can right in front of me, Chemtronics brand, and although it too claims to leave no residue, it did on a test surface. Maybe CRC is better!?
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    the spray cleaner is good for hfm's. here's another method i use sometimes to clean the hfm. get a zip-lock bag and pour some isopropyl alcohol into it, place the hfm in the bag and close the bag, then shake back and forth for a minute or so. allow it to dry completely, reinstall. found that method from audiworld when i had my A4.

My Cars
    No Car
    ya i also ready about 91% isopropyl method but i would rather do the electronic cleaner method. ALso CRC does not have any CFCs therefore it does not cause cancer, its supposedly one of the best ones out there, i guess thats why everyone uses it.

My Cars
    See Signature
    Is the HFM that part right behind the intake with the wire grid in it? If so, does one simply remove the part from the car and give it a spray with the no-residue cleaner?

Where is this oxygen sensor located? Any potential downside from a cleaning?

I have about 89K and I'm guessing it might be time to consider a cleaning.

Thanks,
    Johno
    -- 2003 e46 M3
    -- 2018 e90 M5
    -- Warm memories of 99 M3 w/ Eurosport Twin Screw, 2007 335i, 1970 Cutlass, 1989 328is, 1990 328i, 2012 S4, 2018 S4

My Cars
    No Car
    HFM is the thing in the intake after the airbox that has the plug going to it, yes you can use QD electronic cleaner, I just cleaned mine right now, i'll let yall know the results. make sure you let it dry completely (it dries quick but its always good to be extra sure). I will clean O2 sensor on monday.

My Cars
    See Signature
    where's the o2 sensor located? Is this an easy part to access?
    Johno
    -- 2003 e46 M3
    -- 2018 e90 M5
    -- Warm memories of 99 M3 w/ Eurosport Twin Screw, 2007 335i, 1970 Cutlass, 1989 328is, 1990 328i, 2012 S4, 2018 S4

My Cars
    325is, 95 m3
    since you have a 99 m3 you have the luck of having 4 oxygen sensors while we 95's have only 1.
    gizmmo

My Cars
    See Signature
    OK, so let me rephrase it; Where are the four oxygen sensors?
    Johno
    -- 2003 e46 M3
    -- 2018 e90 M5

My Cars
    325is, 95 m3
    depends on what you want to replace. there are two pre-cat and post-cat. no quite sure where they are located but the one on the 95's is right before the cat.
    gizmmo

My Cars
    No Car
    im gonna clean the O2 sensor on monday and see how it reacts. i have not replaced iit in a long time so im gonna try and clean it and see if that helps with the same QD electronic cleaner i bought form autozone today.

My Cars
    m3
    I did this to a sensor that was flakey and slaped it into my M3 and it works really well. my surging problem is gone with this o2...

what I did was I took an old o2, cleaned it and slapped it in the m3. the original o2 was causing some surging at higher rpms. I'm gonna clean that one tomorrow and put it back in. I'll let you know how that one works tomorrow.
    -steve

__________________________________________________ ____
    3.5 HFM TMS intake Kit, UUC TSE, Flex-a-lite fuel cooler

My Cars
    No Car
    did u use the same QD electronic cleaner made by CRC? i also heard heating the sensor with one of those butane torches also helps quite a bit b/c it helps break up alot of the debris and etc but i don't exactly have one on hand.

My Cars
    m3
    Couldnt find the cleaner you mentioned, I bought another non-residue electronic component cleaner and it seems to work great.

I think the real test will be when I clean the one I pulled out and put it back in. that one was pretty screwed. the one that's in there now was in my 325is and was also surging and pinging but not as bad as the one in the m3. I'll post the results tomorrow.

Thanks for the cleaning tip!!!! it rocks!
    -steve

My Cars
    No Car
    hey guys, I did cleaned the 02 sensor today and the car performs much better but my check engine went on for 02 sensor which makes no sense, I guess dont spray it in there and just spray it from far away and dont blast it iin there close range. doesnt make sense though b/c car seems to be performing much better (go figure). It only came on though after a while though, like 30 min later. maybe my O2 sensor was just on its last legs.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    I'd try unplugging battery for awhile to see if it resets - discouraging news - was just about to try it on my van!
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    No Car
    if could have been just a bad o2 sensor b/c it was making noises as i shook it before i even sprayed anything so the filament may have been super loose and finally just gave as i put some pressure on it.

DO NOT put DQ electronic cleaner on the HFM, try the purest form of Isopropyl alcohol you can find (rubbing alcohol, 91% is best but i used 70%). the alcohol worked much better on the HFM than the electronic cleaner, it says residue free but for some reason i still smelled it after it dried where as alcohol you cannot so it seems to completely evaporate. now i need to replace 02 sensor. oh well it was worth a shot. alcohol may work better on o2 sensor as well. I know using butane torch to heat it up is another way to get extra life out of the o2 sensor b/c the heat breaks up alot of the crud that builds up inside.

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    are there 2 o2 sensors on 95's? i could only find one, pre cat, at the Y in the exhaust. cleaned mine yesterday, used the crc cleaner. i cleaned the outside of the sensor with some crc on a rag to get rid of the heavy soot, then blasted the inside of the sensor with the crc through the 3 "slits" on the head of the sensor. you cant really see the inside of the sensor, but after cleaning it i noticed through one of the slits that i could see something white inside, so i guess it's clean. i heated it up with the heat gun to dry it out, reinstalled it, and have been driving with zero problems. cant say i see any real difference, but it might not have been that bad in the first place. i guess i'll have to pay attention to the mileage and see if there is any change.

My Cars
    No Car
    hey guys, Good news. for some reason the check engine went away. its came on for 02 sensor but now its been gone for a few days... weird i guess. anyways that is off, and HFM feels betteer. Use the purest alcohol for HFM and for o2 sensor maybe alcohol will work well but probably throttle body cleaner and then follow up with QD electronic cleaner is best.

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    fwiw, i think the crc electric cleaner doesn't do that great a job on the o2 sensor. you're right, i think a stronger cleaner would work better for the o2 sensor, followed up by a rinse with the crc elec cleaner to remove any residue. oh, when i was at pep boys getting the crc, i noticed that crc makes 2 types of cleaners. both for electric parts, the "sensetive parts" cleaner, for ecu's etc(one i used) and another one in a bigger can that said to be used for alternators, solenoids etc. the one i used was in a smaller can and had a pic of an electronic plug on the can.

My Cars
    No Car
    i used QD one. ya i think a throttle body cleaner or something like that has to be used first and then follow it up. for HFM i think alcohol is safest.

My Cars
    m3
    cleaned o2 sensor update... my motor had been running really good up until last night when it started pinging under load, not sure if it's the o2 sensor or not causing this, it could be the fpr doing it (had this happen on my 325).

Otherwise over the past week it has been running great.
    -steve

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    there is only 1 o2 sensor on 95 M3's, right?

My Cars
    m3
    Quote Originally Posted by nightkrawler
    there is only 1 o2 sensor on 95 M3's, right?
    yes, only 1 o2 sensor.
    -steve

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    good, 1 less to worry about, lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast