Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY OBC *BRAKE LIGHT CIRCUIT* Delete mod!

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4

DIY OBC *BRAKE LIGHT CIRCUIT* Delete mod!

So i spent 4 hrs troubleshooting my notorious brake light circuit problem, but mine wasn't as simple as others in just replacing the damn switch. So WTF, DO I really need a stupid screen that says hey dumbass your brake lights might be working? So why not just delete that SOB? I'll cut the crap and tell you what to do. Pull your obc, on the right plug there is a brown and grey wire, its +12vDC. snip it and tape it off. Now turn off your car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    Now turn your car back on<BR><BR><BR><BR>NO more errors!!!! <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Are you sure you actually didn't delete more than the brake light circuit error?

I would undo what you did, open the CCM (Check Control Module) and find a differenet way to delete the brake light switch warning. People already modded the CCM to delete the low beams and taillight errors.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved
    Are you sure you actually didn't delete more than the brake light circuit error?

I would undo what you did, open the CCM (Check Control Module) and find a differenet way to delete the brake light switch warning. People already modded the CCM to delete the low beams and taillight errors.

dave according to the bentley this wire is for the external brake light circuit. If my tracings of the schematics is right, this +12Vdc is introduced into the CCM. I still get obc warnings for all the other light failures that i manually induced and all the other OBC functions still exist. Actually I am really tempted to pull that crap and install a monitor there. Its not like our cars need an OBC to run
    Last edited by SecretAznSauce; 02-26-2005 at 08:24 PM.

My Cars
    Black and White
    Eric, I thank you greatly for the contribution, you rock
    Now knowing how to get rid of the brake light failure notice, i can get smoked, euro, l.e.d., or just home made lights on my ride without having to worry about anything as long as they works Make sure you update us on how it works on a long run. Again, thanks and give yourself a pad in the back - light
    Paul
    98 328I 4/M
    02' 996 coupe
    My ex-es:
    99 328IS 2/M
    95 325I 4/A
    02 M3 SMG
    90 325I 2/M

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSoo217
    Eric, I thank you greatly for the contribution, you rock
    Now knowing how to get rid of the brake light failure notice, i can get smoked, euro, l.e.d., or just home made lights on my ride without having to worry about anything as long as they works Make sure you update us on how it works on a long run. Again, thanks and give yourself a pad in the back - light

thanks I will update in 1 week on how things are going

My Cars
    M3 '06
    you know your problem could have been the little switch that gets depressed when u actually step on the brakes. i put in aftermarket lights and they worked for a while, then i started to get that warning. my mechanic said that it was the lights. so i switched them back to oem, but it still happened. i told him to swap the little sensor under the brake and now i dont have any issues. havent tried the aftermarket lights again yet, but that could definately be your issue. just thought ud like to know.

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba9dude
    you know your problem could have been the little switch that gets depressed when u actually step on the brakes. i put in aftermarket lights and they worked for a while, then i started to get that warning. my mechanic said that it was the lights. so i switched them back to oem, but it still happened. i told him to swap the little sensor under the brake and now i dont have any issues. havent tried the aftermarket lights again yet, but that could definately be your issue. just thought ud like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretAznMan4u
    So i spent 4 hrs troubleshooting my notorious brake light circuit problem, but mine wasn't as simple as others in just replacing the damn switch.

PLEASE READ AGAIN

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    I don't understand why people want to get rid of their check control. I can understand the frustration of a malfunction and it reading an error when there really isn't one, but as long as it's working correctly, I like mine. It's convenient that if my lights burn out while I'm driving, it'll tell me so I can pull over and replace them (I carry extra bulbs in my trunk). In fact, I'm trying to find a way to mod my OBC to tell me if my reverse lights burn out. Does anyone know if something like this is possible?
    -Chris
    My e30 build thread/color change here

My Cars
    99 M3
    two words:

mikey mouse
    helloladies

My Cars
    '96 328i Convertible

Service Bulletin 6203954233

It's a known defect:
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/96067733.html (see #181)

What I don't know is if the dealer will fix it free, or is there something easy I can do myself.

R G Olsen

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    I had it for a while, and then it disappeared. I don't remember how I fixed it either.

Nice write-up Eric.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    Jetta
    They knew about it in 95 and there is no fix? Crazy.
    My last car had it. Nothing fixed it.
    My new car now has it. I have the switch and I will replace it but I don't have my hopes up.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    325izzle
    haha thats a priceless mod.

We can include it with the 'car still runs strong so nothing is wrong' school of thinking.

Your next mod can be the check engine light

My Cars
    2004 330ci

The brown/grey wire on the Black harness says its the temp sensor?

2004 330ci - TiAg - Current | 1998 328i - Alpine White! - Sold

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    thats on a 98,

here the correct one

My Cars
    96 328is, 94 Miata
    I have the same error on my 96 328is, is it still the brown and gray wire for my year?

thanks!

My Cars
    96 328is, 94 Miata
    bump

My Cars
    2007 Honda Element EX
    This DIY isn't very informative and lacks pictures. I asked the thread starter for some help through PM but I haven't heard back from him. Has anybody else done it that can help me out?

I notice 2 brown wires with gray stripes. Which do I cut? I have a 1997 328is if this helps.

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroSpec328is
    This DIY isn't very informative and lacks pictures. I asked the thread starter for some help through PM but I haven't heard back from him. Has anybody else done it that can help me out?

I notice 2 brown wires with gray stripes. Which do I cut? I have a 1997 328is if this helps.

Dude you asked yesterday i don't live on BF.c, any ways. I did that mod along time ago and dont have anymore pics nor the car anymore. On my first post
    it clearly states

"on the right plug there is a brown and grey wire, its +12vDC. "

cut that one. you need to check the voltage. did you check?

taseal is offline Member Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    cool!

i might have to do this too cuz i cant fricking find the stop light bulb at a store! its driving me nuts!

is this a seldomly found light or something? lol

My Cars
    e36-320i - Boston Green Met, e30-323i Alpine White
    don't understand why people want to get rid of their check control.
    Me either... I'd do anything to have check control. If someone doesn't want their OBC and check control module, please ship to me. I'd be glad to have it. And if you have any wiring harnesses send that too.

I'll send you an international money order for shipping.

Seriously, if anyone has a wrecked car and they want to sell, let me know.

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Quote Originally Posted by Horshack
    Me either... I'd do anything to have check control. If someone doesn't want their OBC and check control module, please ship to me. I'd be glad to have it. And if you have any wiring harnesses send that too.

I'll send you an international money order for shipping.

Seriously, if anyone has a wrecked car and they want to sell, let me know.
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...obc&category0=

My Cars
    e36-320i - Boston Green Met, e30-323i Alpine White
    Thanks for the link... But I'd prefer to buy off someone direct rather than e-bay. I've had problems in the past, and I dont have paypal or credit card (I like to pay by cash ).

Hence, I would mail over an international money order (I'm in Australia) if someone was willing to sell to me that way.

Cheers...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast