Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Motorsport Book Recomendation*

My Cars
    cars

*Motorsport Book Recomendation*

This is a post full of recomendations for great books to read for the track, whether it be about driving, or how to design what % ackerman in your steering/suspension system, or just a general how to on driving/racing, it would nice to have a compilation for anyone to come and read.

Quick note, www.sae.org has almost all the books that will be on this list (or should be anyways).

To start it off, here's a book I recently picked up, its called, "Hands-on Race Car Engineer."

The Topics include:
    Assembling the car
    Geometric Setup
    Testing, Practice, and Qualifying
    Racing
    Essential Spares and Equipment
    Transporters
    The workshop
    Electrical systems and data logging
    Accident repairs
    nuts and bolts
    keeping records
    accounting and budget control

Its a very easy book to read, if you are have a PHD or are still in high school its a great read amd moreso a reference.

You can order it from SAE at: http://www.sae.org/servlets/productD...&PROD_CD=R-323
    Last edited by Steve J.; 01-30-2007 at 01:19 AM.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley

Great book about driving - easy enough to understand for a beginner.

My Cars
    98 MZ3, 01 325iT
    Fantastic idea Steve! Absolutely this should be a sticky.
    George Roffe
    98 M Roadster
    01 325iT

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by shopkins
    Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley

Great book about driving - easy enough to understand for a beginner.
    yup, and if I can find where the hell my wife put the other two Ross Bentley books that I ordered at the same time, Speed Secrets 2 and Inner Speed Secrets, I might be able to comment on them!

I see that Amazon is now selling Speed Secrets 4, just out this month!

Amazon sells each of them for $12.21, so the whole set costs less than $50, and at that point you get free shipping ...
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    cars
    I guess I'll just list the racing related books on my desk, as they are all some of the best available (then we also have materials and process in manufacturing,, the mechanical design process, mechanics of materials, the engineering book list is about 15 long so i'll stop there haha).

A given is the compelte Carroll Smith set, thats standard
    (Tune to win, drive to win, engineer to win, engineer your pocket, etc)

"The Racing and high performance tire" by Paul Haney

"Race Car aerodynamics by Joseph Katz

"Competition car Data Logging" by Simon Mcbeath

I dont have it but am aggressively trying to find "Data power" by Buddy Fey (if you are luck to have this its worth a LOT)

"Race car engineering and mechanics" by Paul Van Valkenburgh

And for those Machinist out there the "Machinist handbook," or the cheaper "shop reference" is a must have.

For the more advanced people who are looking to design thier own suspension or just learn about the specific engineering design behind the geometry and the system dynamics, The Milliken Family has some top notch stuff. Again www.sae.org bookstore for it all.

if you plan on buying a lot of books, become an SAE member, it has quite a few benefits to it. Luckily I only pay $10/yr
    Last edited by 95m3racer; 02-19-2005 at 12:26 AM.

My Cars
    '86 BMW 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by 95m3racer
    I guess I'll just list the racing related books on my desk, as they are all some of the best available (then we also have materials and process in manufacturing,, the mechanical design process, mechanics of materials, the engineering book list is about 15 long so i'll stop there haha).

A given is the compelte Carroll Smith set, thats standard
    (Tune to win, drive to win, engineer to win, engineer your pocket, etc)

"The Racing and high performance tire" by Paul Haney

"Race Car aerodynamics by Joseph Katz

"Competition car Data Logging" by Simon Mcbeath

I dont have it but am aggressively trying to find "Data power" by Buddy Fey (if you are luck to have this its worth a LOT)

"Race car engineering and mechanics" by Paul Van Valkenburgh

And for those Machinist out there the "Machinist handbook," or the cheaper "shop reference" is a must have.

For the more advanced people who are looking to design thier own suspension or just learn about the specific engineering design behind the geometry and the system dynamics, The Milliken Family has some top notch stuff. Again www.sae.org bookstore for it all.

if you plan on buying a lot of books, become an SAE member, it has quite a few benefits to it. Luckily I only pay $10/yr
    Haney's book is really good. He hosted a seminar at our University last year about designing and tuning suspension systems for the tire. Overall, very nice guy, and always willing to chat.

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3Jonathan
    Haney's book is really good. He hosted a seminar at our University last year about designing and tuning suspension systems for the tire. Overall, very nice guy, and always willing to chat.
    Yes its a great book, a little more advanced then some, but still a pretty straight forward read.

The basis of suspension design is based on Tire Data. There is a reason companies want 5 figures for thier Basic Tire Data packets....Its unreal. Fortunately fsae teams are provided with a very basic set of data from a certain company but its still nothing like what some fsae teams have done as for thier own research. Everything is based off the tire, so quality core tire data is key in developing a specific suspension system.

My Cars
    98 MZ3, 01 325iT
    It's not a true techie book, but The Unfair Advantage is a must read. The information is old and the tech stuff is not terribly detailed, but it gives some interesting insight into car development. It also is illuminating in that the average autocrosser today knows more about suspension development than Penske Racing did in the late sixties, early seventies.
    George Roffe
    98 M Roadster
    01 325iT

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    I stickied the thread and fixed the title. Lets try to keep it about the books and not the opinions. Great idea.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    cars
    Thanks Mr. Jayhundson(and for thetitle fix )

I think a a title, auther (If possible) and what its about briefly.

My Cars
    '86 BMW 325es
    Yes its a great book, a little more advanced then some, but still a pretty straight forward read.

The basis of suspension design is based on Tire Data. There is a reason companies want 5 figures for thier Basic Tire Data packets....Its unreal. Fortunately fsae teams are provided with a very basic set of data from a certain company but its still nothing like what some fsae teams have done as for thier own research. Everything is based off the tire, so quality core tire data is key in developing a specific suspension system.
    Agreed.... a good suspension design begins right at the contact patch of the tire. A good starting point for any FSAE suspension team would be to either buy Haney's book, or have him come out and give a lecture through SAE's Industrial Lectureship program.

Another good book is "Tires, Suspension, and Handling" by John C. Dixon. Its also available from SAE press. A little long winded and not nearly as complete as say Miliken and Miliken, but its a good book nonetheless.

Edit:

Anyone interested in learning about tires should check out Paul Haney's website:

http://www.insideracingtechnology.com/

It previews some of the information contained within his book, and details some of his encounters in motorsports. If anyone wants to know how to get "invovled" in motorsports, Paul is a great guy to talk to.
    Last edited by Z3Jonathan; 02-19-2005 at 03:01 PM.

My Cars
    cars
    Any suspension design is going to or should be based off tire data. Its just tough to get a manufacturers tire data, its usually a private/manufacturer teams responsibility (i.e. read funding) to do the tire testing, which is a couple million if done properly.

My Cars
    2006 M Coupe, 1949 Cadillac

Two more suggestions

In addition to the Ross Bentley Speed Secrets, I would add:
    "Going Faster" written by Carl Lopes of the Skip Barber Racing School, and
    "The Technique of Motor Racing" by Piero Taruffi. This one has a 68 page chapter on cornering!

My Cars
    95 M3
    Ross Bently's book is good, but 'Going Faster' is better. I would read Bently's book first because he does a good job of explaining things to a novice, but then follow it up with the Skip Barber book.

Another book I would highly recommend is 'the Unfair Advantage' by Mark Donohue. There is lots of great information as he goes into some detail about each car he developed and drove. It is also interesting as an autobiography of a great driver and engineer.
    RobH
    95 M3
    --------------------

My Cars
    '05 325iT
    I am sure everyone already knows this one, but "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics." I think this is a most own.

My Cars
    '97 M3,
    Caroll Smith - Drive to Win
    Ross Bentley - Inner Speed Secrets
    Ross Bentley - Speed Secrets 2

My Cars
    E30&E90 M3 & E46 Touring
    Ah nice one Steve. The kind of parked thread I like.

I've mentioned this before in other posts but if anyone here on this forum is in college I strongly suggest seeing if your school has a Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (FSAE) program. If you are not in engineering it will be a little difficult to get your foot into the door but you will still learn a lot regardless.

As for any other person, I highly recommend joining SAE like Steve mentioned and surfing the world of books and papers they have to offer. You will get a copy of Automotive Engineering each month and weekly you will receive pamphlets on automotive seminars that are available to go to.

As for books, a simple search on SAE will overwhelm you with reading.

Barry

My Cars
    94 "332 IS"
    Great topic! I see a few more book purchases in my future.

The internal combustion engine in theory and practice volume 1 & 2 by Charles Fayette Taylor has a massive amount of good info. Geared towards the engineer/hard core gear head.
    Cheers
    Paul
    1994 332 IS Dinan CAI, Dinan software, lightweight flywheel, OBD 1 intake manifold, M3 exhaust, Dinan BMW CCA J-stock suspension

My Cars
    cars
    I was just looking at the shelf in our fsae office, and see another good book to suggest, more for builders and race teams, but it can help anyone really.

Competiion car controls (controls and insturmentation, driver safety and support systems, clothing, communication, cooling) by Ian Bamsey and Alan Lis

My Cars
    2009 E90 M3 DCT
    I was just looking at the shelf in our fsae office, and see another good book to suggest, more for builders and race teams, but it can help anyone really.

Competiion car controls (controls and insturmentation, driver safety and support systems, clothing, communication, cooling) by Ian Bamsey and Alan Lis

Any good read on Sponsorships? Ross Bentley recommends Sponsorship and the World of Motor Racing by Guy Edwards but its out of print. What say? TIA

My Cars
    cars
    Thats a tough one...depends on what types pf sponsorships, what type of racing, what type of corporation, etc. You might want to just go to amazon/B&N and see if they have anything on getting corporate sponsorship from coprations/companies about investment.

For GT/touring racing, its mostly going to be personal connections until you get to at the least a USTCC type sanctioned race, and then Rolex grand am, WC, etc. If we're talking Pro Formula Series, or even some of the higher ranked amatuer series for sports racers or formula car's, its going to either be a family business backed operation, or a third party investor, or anything really. Its mostly business stuff, not directly related to motorsports though.

My Cars
    Torque Monster
    Formula 1 Technology by Peter Wright... and his Ferrari Formula 1 book is a great read but not much technically...

the Shock Absorber Handbook by John Dixon...

An Introduction to Race Car Engineering by Warren Rowley... great because it introduces computer simulation (and includes a trial copy of Bill Mitchell's software)... the mitchell software has some bugs but most are way too complex for club racing

Racing Chassis and Suspension Design, ed. Carroll Smith (the Great One - seriously he is the MAN - and wrote many great books) - this book is a collection of SAE white papers hand picked by Carroll

RCVD by Milliken and Milliken, duh... the Bible of race car books

A good statics and dynamics book, i like the one by Hibbeler

System Dynamics by Katsuhiko Ogata... kinda dry but very good info if you would like to model dynamic systems.... like car suspensions...

A book on Excel and VBA programming, if you're not a geek and know it already

The Multibody Systems Approach to Vehicle Dynamics by Mike Blundell and Damian Harty...

and finally, the real deal is attending one of Claude Rouelle's seminars. I can't say enough about this guy. I am considering going and working for him... he's that good. His way of putting things into common terms and (quite literally) forcing you to understand vehicle dynamics is truly incredible. Well worth the money. I know people that have attended it two or three times.
    Cheap and reliable isn't fast.
    Cheap and fast isn't reliable.
    Fast and reliable isn't cheap.

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there...

My Cars
    2009 E90 M3 DCT
    Going Faster by Skip Barber is also on DVD. Interesting (altough a bit short).

My Cars
    01 Acura Integra Type R, 01 Honda S2000, 02 BMW M3
    I say "Going Faster" too, i've read it numerous times. Good book!!
    The Envy
    2001 Phoenix Yellow Acura Integra Type R- 12.27.03
    2001 Spa Yellow Pearl Honda S2000- 12.12.04
    2002 Alpine White BMW M3

My Cars
    98 328i

book

nobody mentioned:

Secrets of Solo RacingSecrets of Solo Racing
    -by Henry A. Watts

Very easy to understand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast