Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *ram air DIY semi write-up* foglamp to shortram

My Cars
    328is,xj Cherokee4x4

*ram air DIY semi write-up* foglamp to shortram

so when your foglamp shatters on the freeway at 75mph what do you do? turn it into a DIY ghetto ram-air project.
    What You Need:
    *card board(for rough model design)
    *scissors(to run with all the way from the kitchen to the garage)
    *heat gun(blow drier)
    *electrical tape that you stole from your work
    *10mm socket for horn relocation, and a bigger socket as well(i used trial and error for the size)
    *some time to figure out how to properly relocate your 2 horns
    *flashlight, as well as a well lit garage
    *crappy camra phone for documentation of the DIY
    *jumper cables(ill explain later)

Well firstly i took out my cone filter from my ECIS kit.

then it took me way too long to remove the 2 horns using the 10mm socket and a little swivle thing i used for leverage. i then removed the brass colored metal strips which were attached to the horn, heated the peice with the family hair drier and bent the ends inwards to form somewhat of a half triangle, then i attached the horn to the bottom of the metal bent peice and then the metal bracket peice to the factory location, moving the horn more inside the frame of thecar, the other horn i didnt take much care with, i just shoved it into a bunch of wires which seem to hold it quite snugly all while aiming it between my clear corner and headlamp housing creating a rather loud honk .

heres where the fun begins. i eyeballed the general shape of my scoop which i was going to fabricate, then i constructed a model of it from cardboard, cutting slots at the bottom for the scoop shape.

i then stapled the folds to strengthen the shape, and throuroughly coverd the whole thing with electrical tape. the thing looks as if i gave it a RinoLining treatment

*notice the smooth change in angle due to many layers of low quality electical tape*
    next is the simple part, the install which i will connect the bottom of the scoop with the factory foglamp mounting bracket, find a correct angle and tape off the areas with connect the bracket to the scoop. its rather snug in there so no further mounting is needed with such a light weight ghetto ram air device. you can run this how it is, while you aquire stronger materials to reconstruct a better design based off of this.

(the front shot of the foghousing witht the scoop is dark enought to render it useless, so use your imagination

i would now go for a test drive now that it is cleanly installed, my filter is back in. and my car is half way in the garage ready to go suck up some cold air, but my battery is now dead due to my blasting of Marz Volta and having my headlights on for quite a long while for more light.

clik sig 4 17" tires

My Cars
    328is,xj Cherokee4x4
    well with the help of my sisters jetta i jumped my car and took it for a spin, this is what i have to say.. WOW. this was supposed to be a temp. so i can get some more durable materials, but wow.. its not "throttle response" that ive gained, its a lot of PUNCH. i never realized how much rushing air my short ram has been lacking all this time.

a DIY ram air no matter how you do it, as long as it feeds plenty of cool air, is well worth the tinkering.

clik sig 4 17" tires

My Cars
    328is,xj Cherokee4x4
    btw, the punch is most evident at speeds about 35-40miles perhour.. 2nd gear downshifts are as awesome as ever.

clik sig 4 17" tires

My Cars
    328is,xj Cherokee4x4
    heres what the car looks like from the front.

heres a closer shot of the mod, yea i need to respray my bumper -_-

heres a look at the cool air path, its really smooth and works remarkably well for the materials. im going to be looking into fabricating a duplicate scoop in the near future.

clik sig 4 17" tires

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Good writeup. Mars volta rocks!

My Cars
    328is,xj Cherokee4x4
    thanks, sorry about how simple i made the horn relocation seem -_-. i wouldve went into more detail if the pictures came out brighter, and yes mars volta rocks ppls faces completely off.

clik sig 4 17" tires

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Dude your giving away my secret weapon....my ghetto supercharger, lol. Did a thread on this a while back....AND PEOPLE THIS DOES NOT WORK, DO NOT TRY ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    328is,xj Cherokee4x4
    yea i saw your post in the $2.somethingcents thread in the m3 sub forum, the inlet looks good. Im going to be redoing mine with better quality plastics and such, and making a smooth funnel for the foglight opening with a rectangular opening for increased airflow.

clik sig 4 17" tires

My Cars
    E39 M5 / E90
    looks wierd though, you need to get rid of the other fog light for symmetry and cover it up and get some kind of mesh cover for your air duct.

My Cars
    Vicla
    You'd make Red Green proud!
    I'm gonna have to look into something like this. Hmmmmm....

My Cars
    328is,xj Cherokee4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by mmzcee
    looks wierd though, you need to get rid of the other fog light for symmetry and cover it up and get some kind of mesh cover for your air duct.
    ill leave the other fof light until i find a foglight cover. good idea about the mesh cover, id make sure it would only stop large objects like big rocks and such, ill look for some plastic mesh with large openings to keep the smooth airflow rather than a the tighter "chicken wire" type stuff

clik sig 4 17" tires

My Cars
    E39 M5 / E90
    Quote Originally Posted by toopercentmlk
    ill leave the other fof light until i find a foglight cover. good idea about the mesh cover, id make sure it would only stop large objects like big rocks and such, ill look for some plastic mesh with large openings to keep the smooth airflow rather than a the tighter "chicken wire" type stuff
    something like this, pure hotness.

or like the M3 CSL.

My Cars
    328is,xj Cherokee4x4
    thats sexy. ill put a little thought into it dont worry. the end result should be clean.

clik sig 4 17" tires

My Cars
    95 Alpine 318i
    So you mean to tell me I need to drain my battery for the ultimate performance mod. Brilliant!

Nice write up man.

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    Why not just loose the damn foglights?

My Cars
    uma E36 325 vermelho
    Quote Originally Posted by vjlax18
    Why not just loose the damn foglights?
    You're the bastard that ripped out my fine azz shop vac hose/RAM air on my car!

What would Crockett and Tubbs do?

1994 E36 Hellrot/Black 325is
    2007 E92 Jet Black/Saddle Brown 335i

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    :

My Cars
    '95 M3 - Mugello Rot
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas3314
    Dude your giving away my secret weapon....my ghetto supercharger, lol. Did a thread on this a while back....AND PEOPLE THIS DOES NOT WORK, DO NOT TRY ...
    Can you post a link to your thread? I did a search and couln't find it. Thanks.

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Steamboat
    Can you post a link to your thread? I did a search and couln't find it. Thanks.
    This was one of them and its a bit old as I still had my old bumper. Has a few pics but my new one is made of better material etc. I'll see if I can find it.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ghlight=ghetto

My Cars
    Jetta
    I don't know if it matters as the engine will pull the air in faster than you can likely push air at the filter....however K&N does make a cone filter with an open front nose with a filter. The front nose of the filter points at the place where the factory air box gets its fresh air.
    "for serious racers"

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/X-stream.htm

I had one on another car...problem was the short ram intake even with a nice heatshield with a rubber gasket at the top was pulling hot air and actually hurt performace. I measured this by hooking up a computer to the OBD port and ran graphs of a number of data....
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    I don't know if it matters as the engine will pull the air in faster than you can likely push air at the filter....however K&N does make a cone filter with an open front nose with a filter. The front nose of the filter points at the place where the factory air box gets its fresh air.
    "for serious racers"

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/X-stream.htm

I had one on another car...problem was the short ram intake even with a nice heatshield with a rubber gasket at the top was pulling hot air and actually hurt performace. I measured this by hooking up a computer to the OBD port and ran graphs of a number of data....
    like the one in my 325i... :icon23

My Cars
    98 e36, 02 v40
    Nice thread. Been thinking about doing this as well. But, if it's not necessarily effective, as Oldskool suggests, maybe I shouldn't bother? My fogs aren't very effective anyway, so why not get more air in there if that's helpful. So, any other conclusions about whether this is a useful mod?
    Formerly 328i, now 332i : Debadged, Cosmos Black/Black, '99 s52 motor, custom short ram intake with ITG maxogen filter, Dinan springs, Koni adj sports, Rogue Engineering LTW flywheel clutch kit, UUC swaybarbarians, HMS oil pump, Fan Delete mod, Mishimoto alum radiator, UUC UD pullies, upgraded water pump, BBS RK2's w 235-40-17 Yoko S-drives for summer, the Shaahhhk, passport x50, Scorpion cat back exhaust, BSW midrange speakers, Recaro knock-off child safety seats by graco...

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iBursche
    Nice thread. Been thinking about doing this as well. But, if it's not necessarily effective, as Oldskool suggests, maybe I shouldn't bother? My fogs aren't very effective anyway, so why not get more air in there if that's helpful. So, any other conclusions about whether this is a useful mod?
    Yes...but don't do it,lol

My Cars
    1995 325IS
    Doesnt doing this increase the chances of sucking water into your engine?

My Cars
    e30 325i, e36 325ic, e36 328i Sport, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Omniflipatron
    Doesnt doing this increase the chances of sucking water into your engine?
    I'd say that yes it does, but you just gotta avoid the puddles

Seriously the K&N kits have a Rubber intake that you mount underneath the bumper and these do the same thing. I had one of these on my old 325i for years and went through loads of puddles without any problems..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast