Thread: Battery Breather Tube

My Cars
    BMW 528i; Jaguar E-Type

Battery Breather Tube

I just replaced my battery with a Diehard. It didn't come with a breather tube but has an oval outlet which is clearly for a breather tube. The problem is the tube that is in the car is round and won't fit over the oval outlet. Can you get these somewhere? Does it require special tubing?

Thanks

My Cars
    87 325is
    If both tubes are approximately the same size you could use a piece of rubber tubing as a splice.

Gentle heating of the existing tubing (read hair dryer, not a torch) should make it pliable enough for you to work it over the battery vent.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

best battery deal is usually AutoZone's Duralast 49D

(search the archives) which goes for around $65, has a 7 year warranty with first 2 years free replacement. It is mfg'd by Johnson Controls just like the DieHard battery you picked up...but comes with the vent kit attached to the side. Maybe your local AutoZone will sell you (or maybe even give you) a vent kit.
    The kit will contain the L-shaped tube that connects the the battery's vent hole (located in the middle) and an adapter comes in the package that will allow you to connect the L-shaped tube to you car's vent hose. See a pic of the vent kit below...the L-shaped tube is not in the pic (I had already installed the battery).

Good luck...
    [IMG]http://************/6co2p[/IMG]

(note the battery's vent hole (top right of pic) which should look like your DieHard's)
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Take the car back to Sears and tell them you need a vent tube installed. IIRC, they charge $99 for that battery. It should come with a vent tube. If they installed it, they should have hooked up the tube.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    BMW 528i; Jaguar E-Type
    Thanks for in suggestions.

I specifically asked the folks at Sears about the tube because I noticed it didn't have one included. I was told it didn't come with one. I think I'll call them tomorrow and check again.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    I'd call Sears about it again. Offer to bring it back if they can't find one for you.

Or better yet, go to AutoZone, buy one of their batteries, have it installed with the tube, then return the DieHard for a refund. Save yourself $30.

The tube is not optional. Most batteries that are intended for use in these cars come with an adapter pictured in Qsilver7's post. Sears should provide one or tell you the battery does not fit the car.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

don't "think" about calling....you need to call them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Topper1118
    Thanks for in suggestions.

I specifically asked the folks at Sears about the tube because I noticed it didn't have one included. I was told it didn't come with one. I think I'll call them tomorrow and check again.
    Like Steve stated...NOT venting your battery isn't an option! Your battery can explode if it is not vented...because it is in an enclosed space. Sears needs to step up and supply a vent kit or REFUND your money and take the battery back. Sad thing is...now that Sears has taken your old battery...if you decide to go to AutoZone...you will have to pay the $8 core charge...but paying $8 more is still cheaper AND worth having not to clean up all that battery acid that can destroy your car if the battery explodes.

BTW, here's a pic from someone on the e38 board that didn't hook up the vent tube and suffered the consequences of an exploded battery...YES...it DOES happen!
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)