Thread: Removing Instrument cluster

My Cars
    '95 318ic & '84 733il

Removing Instrument cluster

REMOVING INSTRUMENT CLUSTER: No problem removing T10 screws, but the thing doesnt just slide out as indicated in Bentley/Haynes, etc... Im thinking of picking up some suction cups to pull on it with. Is there an easy way to pull this sucker out of there?

My Cars
    '98 328i Convertible
    If the cluster has never been taken out since it was installed at the factory, then over time, the combination of heat, humidity, dust, and cleaning product residue has probably 'stuck' it to the dashboard. Use a dull, smooth, thin tool like a butter knife to carefully separate the cluster from the dash. Wiggle it into the crack between the dash and cluster slowly until the two surfaces begin to part, then slide the tool around the edges of the cluster to complete the separation. Work slowly and carefully and you won't scratch anything. You might have to 'help' it a little with the butter knife, but the cluster will then tilt out from the top.
    '98 328 Alpinweiss Cabriolet, 150K, CD43, CHA-S634 MP3 Changer, Chromeline Interior Trim, 'Redlined' Gears & Diff, Z3 Chromed 16" Rims, Billet Front Stress Bar, aFe CAI, 'Golf Tee' Exhaust Mod, Powerdiscs, SS Brake Lines, CDV delete, JTD Underpanel, BAV Lowering Springs, Bilstien Sports, Bimmerworld Rear Lower Control Arms and Front Camber Plates, E46 RSM's with reinforcing plates, Electric Rad Fan, Alum. T-Stat Housing, Mishimoto Hi-Capacity Aluminum Radiator, Hi-Performance Water pump, 3.23 LSD, Sharked.
    Sometime to come: New Clutch with LWFW, Clutch Stop, M50 Manifold, M3 Cams, Supercharger (I can dream).

My Cars
    96 328is, 94 Miata
    Ok, I was able to do it last week, using a thin screw driver, slide it above the top center of the cluster and bend down, it will pop right out. Just play with it a bit and you will get it.