Thread: 2jz E36

My Cars
    325iS

2jz E36

Screw LS1, this is what I wanna do.

http://members.shaw.ca/kfgroup/e36_3_series.htm
    93' 325iS

2JZ-GTE Powered BMW is complete.

2JZ Powered E36 / 3" Garret Front Mount Intercooler / 3" Exhaust / HKS EVC Boost Controller / Twin Plate OS Giken Clutch / Carbon Fiber Hood / M3 Bumpers and Skirts / M3 LED Mirrors / Euro Taillights / Clear Corners / Euro Ellipsoids / 18" Hamann Replica Wheels / 4-way Adjustable Coilovers / Momo Shift Knob / Momo Milennium Steering Wheel / Alpine Head Unit / Alpine Type X Components in custom Kick Panels / Alpine Amplifiers / Alpine Type R Subs

My Cars
    03 Jeep, 05 R6
    Word, Stage 7 is where its at.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    you could just buy a turbo kit for what that comes in at.

11g's for 320hp????

ya the modding potential is huge but your also starting in a huge hole.

just turbo the s50/s52 motor.

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    900 horsepower? thats crazy! i wonder how much you would have to drop to get it there

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious
    you could just buy a turbo kit for what that comes in at.

11g's for 320hp????

ya the modding potential is huge but your also starting in a huge hole.

just turbo the s50/s52 motor.

My Cars
    1996 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 328Ci
    900 horsepower? thats crazy! i wonder how much you would have to drop to get it there
    you'd have to drive on ET streets if you ever wanted to even think about using that (as well as some fender work and probably custom wheels). But if you've got the money...
    I call BS - there's no bmw driver that can't run his car faster than any magazine has ever done before.
    -Joe

My Cars
    325iS
    I am going to do it this spring. I would consider a AA kit for the same price, but once thats done you've basically reached your modding end. This engine is one of the best ever made. The limits are endless. I saw a video today of a 1500hp supra. Just sick. I only want about a 700whp daily driver. The sad thing is, thats not uncommon with supra's with stock internals on regular high octane gasoline. Try getting 500whp on a turbo stock bottom S52.... not even close to happening. Barely achievable with rebuild. 2JZ-GTE can handle that easily.
    93' 325iS

2JZ Powered E36 / 3" Garret Front Mount Intercooler / 3" Exhaust / HKS EVC Boost Controller / Twin Plate OS Giken Clutch / Carbon Fiber Hood / M3 Bumpers and Skirts / M3 LED Mirrors / Euro Taillights / Clear Corners / Euro Ellipsoids / 18" Hamann Replica Wheels / 4-way Adjustable Coilovers / Momo Shift Knob / Momo Milennium Steering Wheel / Alpine Head Unit / Alpine Type X Components in custom Kick Panels / Alpine Amplifiers / Alpine Type R Subs

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    WOAH! A 2JZ!!!

Sorry, somebody had to do it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    No thanks, I'll still take the LS1. Why?

How many Camaros do you see? Now, how many Supras? 10K, dumped into an LS1, will get you buku power, and be entirely streetable. Hey, under 6 grand will get you an LS2...
    http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?P...ID=128877&HS=1
    400 hp, 400 ft/lbs. And you've got 4 grand left (tax isn't included, so it will be less.) Spend it on the tranny. And you'll still have a few grand left over. Or put the 4 grand towards a supercharger, make 700hp, then spend another few grand on a tranny. At that point, I think money doesn't matter, but I think this route would be cheaper. Anyone have contrary numbers?

And there is no searching for expensive transmissions, no 'hunting' necessary - get a T56. They're in the corvette, viper, camaros... they're all over. They EXIST. Some people thrive on the search for mystical Japanese components, forged on the mountains of Akina and dedicated to honoring ancestors through their cutting edge technology. The rest of us have stopped watching Initial-D.

...Ok, so thats a bit of an exaggeration. But sometimes it doesn't seem that far off. A Getrag transmission that would be non-repariable that costs 5 grand? Or finding impossible parts to repair a supra tranny? Oh, so order them from Japan. Great. How's your Japanese? Or you could pay inflated prices to ship them over here, and deal with parts brokers adding their 'overhead' on both sides of the ocean. JOY.

The Japanese have a penchant for making special editions of things, and if you cannabalize different parts/pieces you'll be able to make something super (there was a gold plated tomagochi, a slew of card games, and car parts seem to be no exception - ask a honda tuner.) I'd rather take the american route - its bad ass to begin with, and gets more bad ass with the right modifications everyone knows about and can find parts for. You don't have to marry into the family to get the last forged crank in the world for your motor, and then have a sword fight to the death to be deemed 'worthy' of some trivial tuning technique to unlock 'hidden potential power'. Its just there to being with in the good ole' US of A.

I like American power, reliability, and availability. I want to blow a tranny, and go, "Damn! I have to go down to the parts store and ORDER another one!" instead of, "I have broken an entire family line by breaking this transmission! Surely, Mr. Roboto's ancestors will now never rest in peace! I MUST commit sepkeppu!" (Like I said, exaggeration, but honestly, how much searching and extra expense do you really want to go through?)

Supra parts in America, like the site listed above says, are getting elderly, they're coveted, and they're a bitch to fix and get parts for. Ok, more of a bitch to get parts for than a T56 in America, how's that? I'm trying to be accurate.

Anyone who can give me some numbers and prove me wrong I will completely agree with - numbers don't lie, and I could be mistaken about the whole thing, which I will readily admit to if proved otherwise. But I know american power is (relatively) cheap, readily available, and reliable.

I can't wait for Fair's LS1 project! Can anyone tell?

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    TOYOTA engine in a BMW? ICK! And I thought a chevy was bad...
    Dan

My Cars
    1996 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAyres
    everything
    You sir are nominated for post of the month award. I really don't think I could have said it any better. As cool as the Supra swap would be, I like the V8 better. Besides, people only look at you a little funny when you're bimmer has a blow off valve, but what kinda of looks will you get in a bimmer with a cammed small block
    I call BS - there's no bmw driver that can't run his car faster than any magazine has ever done before.
    -Joe

My Cars
    325iS
    Trayres, I think that is an EXTREME over exaggeration. It will be many years before supra parts become extinct. There is still a huge aftermarket following, as well the the number of 2JZ's in North America is always growing, as more people are dropping them in cars, than opposed to totalling/blowing them up. Unless you get the VVTi version there will be a huge amount of parts available. The engines themselves are extremely reliable (unless you do something stupid like run WAY too much boost). Whatever happens to the engine as far as damage, can easily be fixed. Not as cheap as a LS1, but cheap. One of the problems with the LS1 is clearance. Putting a supercharged LS1 under the hood of a BMW isnt as easy as it sounds. You need to get a new modified hood, which will remove the stock look. Also, if you decide to turbocharge, you need custom manifolds built as non of them will work on a BMW. With the supra, this package already includes 4" exhaust, and any aftermarket exhaust manifolds/downpipes fit under the BMW perfectly. Also there is no real problems with clearance as the straight 6 2JZ and straight 6 BMW engine are almost identical in shape. As far as upgradability it will be much easier to add things to the 2JZ, than having to worry about measuring and retrofitting everything you need for the LS1.. The feeling when the turbo's spool and you are thrown back in your seat is the best feeling ever. Better than it feels right off the line I think. My friends has a 450whp supra, and we always go and bag it. One of the best feelings ever, just hearing the turbo start spooling, and BAM, your back in your seat feeling the G's pulling you back, harder than when you are taking off in an airplane. PSSSSSTT!!! Next gear, your doing it all over again. So much fun its ridiculous. Ive always wanted a turbo, and I was gonna settle with a LS1, N/A, possible supercharger if I could fit it or get new hood. Now that this option is available, I think its much much better.

I mean it comes down to personal preference. Im not saying 2JZ is the roxxors, and LS1 is teh suck. They are both amazing engines, both amazing swaps, and both serve generally the same purpose. It just comes down personal preference, japanese muscle, or american muscle. Instant power, or spooled power.

I simply prefer the spooled power.

I too cannot wait until fair is done his project, he is extremely intelligent, and is doing and amazing job. Ive been closely following that swap as well. If the 2JZ price tag gets out of control, I will to LS1 instead. I love the LS1 engine. I think I would prefer a 2JZ though.
    93' 325iS

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    they NEED some videos on that website. I wanna see and hear what the car sounds like staged up for 600 or something and then up
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    325iS
    I've been firing a ton of emails back and forth. Man these guys really offer a COMPLETE kit. They install it all on a donor car, and test it before the ship it out, to make sure it all works. He asked what size my wheels/tires were for a custom Skyline LSD differential. Comes with all exhaust piping... like... everything you will need except for fluids is included in this package. Just plug and play. Awesome.

When I get mine there WILL be videos, believe me.....

The LS1 kit from the V3 guys is 9k CDN, 7K us, plus engine tranny, diff, all that stuff. That will surpass the price of 11kUS for this kit in a hurry.
    93' 325iS

My Cars
    Turbo M3, 3 Hater e36's
    Ya, in town here we have 2 E36's with Ls6 (vette Z06) motors in them. Pretty amazing stuff. I also was thikning of doing that swap, or doing a 2jZ swap, but I have decided to stay with BMW for my new project. I would like to put a BMW V12 into my E36. I am preferring to go 5.4L or higher, but if I can only find a 5.0L V12 from an older 750il, then that will have to do.

Does any one know of any smashed or salvagable 8 series? I can't find one for the life of me. I would like to use the tranny (6-speed) from an 850. I tried finding a 850CSi, or Alpina B12 (5.7L V12), but it is extremely hard, unless you buy a working one, which is pricey.

But as of right now, looks like i will have a 5.0L V12 with auto tranny, getting pretty much everything from the radiator back to the diff. from a 88' 750 for around $3500 US. But nothing final.

Anyone else try this route?

My Cars
    325iS
    The reason it rarely gets done is the weight ratio. Those are some heavy ass engines. The LS1 and 2JZ weigh about the same amount as the straight 6 BMW engine. You dont loose your handling then. The 2JZ guys are out of Vancouver, LS1 guys are out of Calgary. I am in Regina. Both are Canadian companies which works for me. Fair is down in Texas I believe. Im not sure where Nash is located. He has had some problems so I havent followed his as closely. I was told that Reg Riemer in calgary didnt think too highly of the LS1 swap. I think he said something along the lines of, it making the car feel like a done up Honda civic. (not smooth, or clean ride, chassis stressed, etc.) I have yet to ask him how he feels about a 2JZ in a E36. He might be a purist, so he might not like the idea, but I know he is a 2JZ fanatic, so it can go either way.
    93' 325iS

My Cars
    1996 318ti
    Either way I think we need a video of a e36 with a 2jz racing an e36 with an LS1/6
    -Joe

My Cars
    325iS
    I will go to calgary and get you your video =)
    93' 325iS

My Cars
    15 328xi
    Good stuff.
    Reminds me of the cars in Thailand. Over there, they have SR20DET, RB26DETT powered civics, 2JZ powered Eclipses/Mustangs, and S52 powered Jettas.

My Cars
    Turbo M3, 3 Hater e36's
    Its a weird wolrd out there.......
    I just can't wait to see the V12 in my E36
    The engine is not much heavier then the I6, I believe ther both aluminum blocks. I would think not much more then 30lbs more for the V12.
    But I wont know until I have the engine here.

My Cars
    325iS
    Both Iron blocks. And yes, they are ridiculously heavier.
    93' 325iS

My Cars
    Turbo M3, 3 Hater e36's
    Should be interesting....

My Cars
    E36, E39&E34 Touring,E39 540
    Quote Originally Posted by dmurray14
    TOYOTA engine in a BMW? ICK! And I thought a chevy was bad...
    Thats like drinking a Heniken and eating Chinese food

My Cars
    325iS
    Aight, talked to the guy for an hour last night. And every doubt I had was settled, the guy there is AWESOME! He even said that Active Autowerke has called him recently wanting to get a 2JZ kit, because one of their customers has reached the max potential with their active autowerke kits, on reliability. The guy said they cant take BMW's past 450hp without blowing them up, lol. I am really feeling good about everything now, they take the engine apart and inspect it, repaint the block, tons of good stuff. Im ordering mine Monday, to get here for April 1.

Oh, and as far as chevy being cheaper than the supra, no, its probobly the same. I can go get a brand new TRD block for 2k, a used tranny for $500. These engines are dirt cheap to fix, its the upgrades that cost alot.

And as far as just turbo and S50/S52, go back up and read what I said about AA. Also I do not have a S50/52 so there is 5k, plus 10k on a AA kit. For the supra motor once you get the base package, it is only another $800 to get it to 425whp, over 500 at the crank. Easily matching the AA kit top kit with rebuilt engine. The only difference is, I start spooling anywhere from 900-1200 and hit max boost at 2800 taken to my redline of 7krmp. Its the twin turbo JDM ceramic turbo's. Oh yeah, and mine wont blow up.
    93' 325iS

My Cars
    M3
    Interesting, but I don't see the point. I highly doubt AA is searching for a toyota engine solution when their customer could go to ICS and get much more proven power out of the S52. As for you smoking a build LS1 powered E36 with that Toyota perhaps you've been smoking a wee bit too much weed. Much more to performance then peak hp numbers, having instant lag free torque is something to behold. Just watch some of the 600hp ICS video clips on the street, you can just hear/see the lag followed by all hell breaking loose. This sort of power is fun but not really practical. My vote is the LS1 E36, much better idea.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast