Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of intake

My Cars
    1993 Benz 300E

What type of intake

I have a 1993 325i and I have only put a AC schnitzer chip in it, I was wondering if I could get some help finding the most benificial intake for a reasonable price, I have looked at a good amount of them just can't decide.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1996 328i
    A CAI comprises of 2 parts. A good high flow filter with associated ducting, and a good heat shield. Some intakes avoid a heat shield by dipping into a semi secluded sector of the engine bay, but its not necessarily better.

Jim conforti has a good intake with a good foam filter (I myself like foam better). I have heard a lot of good stuff about K&N's new FIPK intake kits for our cars (E46's too). Cosmos Racing has a pretty good Dinan style intake for the money. eCIS has a good intake like the conforti but with a K&N filter. You could make one yourself with $15 worth of sheet metal, tin snips, and some weather stripping form autozone or pepboys. Buy a piece of mandrel bent pipe and strap a filter on....

Depends what you want, some are more show/sound with performance, some are cheap but not good for show...etc. etc.

-Tyler

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Cosmos CAI. $122 plus shipping, the most bang for the buck.
    [
    Turner Perf Chip/Fan Delete/Sparco Strut Tower Brace/X-Brace/JTD Underpanel
    Zimmerman X-D Rotors/Axxis Ultimate Pads/Solid Caliper Guide Bolt Bushings
    UUC EVO3/DSSR SSK/3.15 LSD/Cosmos Racing CAI V2/ASC Delete
    96+ M3 LCA/LCAB M3 RTAB and GC Shims
    BMW OEM Alarm/Woodgrain Delete/Blizzaks baby!/16x7 BMW Style 30 Sport wheels

My Cars
    BART
    Quote Originally Posted by hellrot325
    Cosmos CAI. $122 plus shipping, the most bang for the buck.

Only reason I'd go with ECIS or DINAN is because they're CARB legal in CA.

The Cosmos intake actually blends in with the engine bay nicely- almost looks stock.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    I got a Cosmos CAI and I am very satisfied. Best bang for your buck IMO.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    cosmos seems to be the best option.

My Cars
    1993 Benz 300E
    This might be a stupid question but won't water be sucked up into the intake when you hit a puddle with these cosmos intakes?

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    Quote Originally Posted by eurofan425
    This might be a stupid question but won't water be sucked up into the intake when you hit a puddle with these cosmos intakes?
    it is a possibility yes. hydrolock is the term for that. If you are super worried about hydrolock then you could always get one of the shorter intakes such as the ECIS with a headshield.

do some searching on this topic..."CAI"....."intake"....etc. limited to the E36 forum. there is a ton of info on this subject.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    BART
    I've driven in a storm on the hwy with no problems. I was scared as hell though.

If I was to hydrolock that would've meant s52 for me.

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by eurofan425
    Very unlikely unless you're up to the fogs in water...from a puddle, no. That being said, as a precaution I installed the JT Design Underpanel.
    [

My Cars
    '98 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by hellrot325
    Very unlikely unless you're up to the fogs in water...from a puddle, no. That being said, as a precaution I installed the JT Design Underpanel.
    That's what I'm planning on doing too, but I'm not sure that the underpanel will save me from water coming in the front. I haven't come up with a scenario where water COULD come in the front however, without dropping into a ditch or attempting one of those flood crossings you see on TV all the time in TX, so maybe I'm fretting over nothing.
    '98 328 Alpinweiss Cabriolet, 150K, CD43, CHA-S634 MP3 Changer, Chromeline Interior Trim, 'Redlined' Gears & Diff, Z3 Chromed 16" Rims, Billet Front Stress Bar, aFe CAI, 'Golf Tee' Exhaust Mod, Powerdiscs, SS Brake Lines, CDV delete, JTD Underpanel, BAV Lowering Springs, Bilstien Sports, Bimmerworld Rear Lower Control Arms and Front Camber Plates, E46 RSM's with reinforcing plates, Electric Rad Fan, Alum. T-Stat Housing, Mishimoto Hi-Capacity Aluminum Radiator, Hi-Performance Water pump, 3.23 LSD, Sharked.
    Sometime to come: New Clutch with LWFW, Clutch Stop, M50 Manifold, M3 Cams, Supercharger (I can dream).

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Jazz
    so maybe I'm fretting over nothing.
    You are, but then so was I...that's why the JT Design underpanel...you have to ingest huge amounts of water to hydrolock...moisture is not enough. Buy, install, and use with confidence. It's a great CAI...and low price!
    Last edited by hellrot325; 01-17-2005 at 02:35 PM.
    [

My Cars
    95 325i
    Cosmos, you won't be disappointed.
    1995 325i Schwarz II, Dove Grey, Sport Package
    H&R Sport Springs/Koni SA's
    X-Brace
    3.2L M3 shock tower reinforcement plates
    M-Roadster rsm reinforcement plates
    M5 replica rims wrapped in BFGoodrich g-Force Sport 235/40 ZR18
    Cosmos CAI
    Zionsville Autosport all aluminum radiator (just say no to plastic)

FS: 4 E36 16x7 sport rims in chrome wrapped with Yok AVS ES100 225/50ZR16

mmm Guinness

My Cars
    RIP:'93 325i ; '07 e61 x
    I have a cone-filter, not a "complete" CAI.
    I like the sound etc, the car even "feels" better/faster.

From what I've read though there isn't much HP improvement. So my question is what criterion do you guys use in order to call this mod "the best bang for the buck?"
    3rd Infantry Division, United States Army

"Rock of the Marne!"

My Cars
    '94 325i 'vert
    Yea I got the Cosmos too, but never directly compared it with any of the other intakes out there.
    I would think it's pretty hard to hydrolock, unless you decide to drive through puddles that are like 3 feet deep. Anyhow, I don't have an underpanel on my car, and have done fine through almost 2 full Northeast weather years.

Doesn't like Apexi or something sell that "intake sponge" or something like that? Some spongelike material that sits in the intake tube w/o restricting air flow much, supposedly catching water, should it make it through your filter.
    '94 325i convertible
    - basic mods

My Cars
    95 318ti
    whats the cosmos web site???
    can someone post a link??

GC-AA-Cosmos-Kosei-ZKW-99 M3 totaled

My Cars
    93 325is
    Not to hate on ECIS or anything but I had there intake and was some what dissatisfied with it. The heat shield does not fully enclose the filter as the TMS or eurosport does. The heatshield on those kits look to be of much high standard than the ECIS kit, just my opinion though. I then went with the dinan airbox and the cosmos. for 120 can't be beat, and I trust that intake more than a heatshield in the engine bay.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrack
    whats the cosmos web site???
    can someone post a link??
    Here is the website.
    Cosmos Racing

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by RacermeX
    From what I've read though there isn't much HP improvement. So my question is what criterion do you guys use in order to call this mod "the best bang for the buck?"
    My comment was in regard to the Cosmos CAI v. others. I would seriously doubt that there would be marked performance improvement from other intakes at double, triple, or more the cost of the Cosmos. As far as improvement from the Cosmos v. stock, the car pulls harder through redline, and throttle repsonse is improved. Just "seat of the pants" dyno results...
    [

My Cars
    '94 325i 'vert
    yea..but the sound you'd get would be different. Personally, I think the cosmos one sounds pretty good...
    try a search too if you really want more opinions...I think there were a lot of threads on this.
    '94 325i convertible
    - basic mods

My Cars
    1990 911C2, 1989 CRX
    Does anyone know of a dyno database with a whole bunch of different brands of CAI and exhausts?

Also, has anyone here ever had any reliability issues due to CAI and using an aftermarket filter? I am not sure if I trust the aftermarket filter standards, although I use them on my motorcycle and everything seems really clean.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Hey guys. This is a wonderful thread, but i do have one question to add.

Im looking at my stock intake, and other then the filtration system, it is very similar to a CAI. So, if you get a CAI, what do you do with that small little rubber passageway that goes from the air box in to the kidney grille area? Is that where the Cosmos intake goes to? Thanks!

My dad broke the lid off of my airbox, kinda, and he says he owes me. BMRparts.com priced 100$ for the whole airbox, so giggity giggity.

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    the filter on the cosmos sits much lower than the little plastic piece you are talking about. I took that piece out after installing the cosmos.

My Cars
    98 328i

Cai

i'm reading that the ECIS and Dinan are C carb legal in Calif.,but the K@N is so similar to the Ecis,does anyone know if it is legal also?

My Cars
    1995 325
    The K&N is CARB legal. It should state that on their website. www.knfilter.com.
    1995 325I, tinted windows, K&N, debaffled airbox, Nighthawk low beams, BMW style #104 wheels, smoked corners, smoked sidemarkers, smoked taillights, M3 style heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast