Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dyno results (finally!). Knocking on 400

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon

Dyno results (finally!). Knocking on 400

I finally managed to get my car on a dyno today, over six months since I installed my RMS aftercooler, 37.5# injectors, and RMS software. Been busy as hell at work, and couldn't find a shop that would do a Saturday run within easy driving distance, until last week.

The shop that did the dyno runs, Crawford Performance, is mostly a Subaru place, and these guys know their shit when it comes to Subarus and forced induction, but that's just a blurb, doesn't really have any bearing on the dyno runs themselves, though it was fun to overlay my plots against some of their hotter WRX and STI runs.

My setup is a '93 325is, with a transplanted '95 3.0 OBD1 M3 motor and transmission, with a 3.38 LSD and LTW flywheel. Supercharger is Dinan/Vortech V2SQ, running a 3.5" Euro HFM, Dinan big bore throttle body, 37.5# injectors, RMS aftercooler, RMS software, Dinan cat-back exhaust.

Ignition is stock Bremi coils, plugs are NGK BKR7EIX, fuel is 91 octane Chevron pump gas. I'm running EvoSport underdrive pulleys, and the 318 clutch fan that Dinan supplies with the SC kit, with a stock radiator. Stock OBD1 exhaust manifolds, stock '95 cats. Water injection is disconnected.

6" crank pulley, 3.33" SC pulley.

Ok, to the good part, and I'll get the actual charts up as soon as I can scan them, or get a good digital picture, since my camera and the scanner are both at work, and if I go in now, I may be stuck there for awhile.

1st run:

5th gear
    70.2 degrees F outside temp
    29.9 Barometric pressure
    51.1 Relative Humidity

Peak HP @ 7000 RPM: 395.1 HP SAE corrected, 10.9 PSI boost
    Peak TQ @ 5600 RPM: 274.7 TQ SAE corrected

2nd run:
    4th gear
    70.7 degrees F outside temp
    29.9 Barometric pressure
    51.1 Relative Humidity

Peak HP @ 7000 RPM: 388.7 HP SAE corrected 10.80 PSI boost
    Peak TQ @ 5600 RPM :272.8 TQ SAE corrected

Using a 17% correction factor (which I don't trust), the Dynapack software was saying that I'm at 462.2 flywheel hp, but that really doesn't count or matter, since it's all about RWHP

The AFR/Lamba is interesting, I'm running a bit rich in the midrange, and leaning out a hair too much in the last 500 RPM, but nothing dangerous. Also of note was that the SC belt was slipping a bit, you could smell it cooking during the runs.

As to why the first run was done in 5th gear, with a Dynapack, unlike a roller dyno, top speed isn't an issue, and with a 1:1 final drive ratio the shop owner thought I'd get more accurate, (if possibly lower), numbers. The first run showed 152 MPH.

I had them do the second run in 4th gear just for a more apples to apples comparision to what I had done in the past, and for better comparision to most of the dyno runs done by folks here on BF.C, which are usually 4th gear. As you can see, not a lot of difference, the loss can easily be attributed to a little heat soak between the runs.

I had a third and final run done in 4th gear, and it was identical to the 2nd run, less than .2 TQ difference.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the numbers, they're higher than I expected, though it is a Dynapack hub dyno, not a Dynojet or Mustang roller dyno. And like I said, just as soon as I can get the charts scanned I'll upload them.

To put this in perspective, last March or April I did three dyno runs, at the same approximate boost levels, with no aftercooler, just the Aquamist system, 3.5" MAF, software from somewhere else, and 28.8# injectors. I made 301 HP and 257 TQ.
    Last edited by Croak; 01-16-2005 at 02:12 AM.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    96 Acura 450whp+
    yea i heard of that shop before. i used to live in fallbrook which is right off the 15 norht from you guys. anywyas great numbers. is this a stock block or did u do some internal work. btw beautiful car great job

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    Totally stock internals, 90k miles on the motor.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    96 Acura 450whp+
    wow i though u couldnt do more than 8psi on a stock motor. well u have given me hope. i have a friend in fallbrook his name is george he has a rms stage III built s52 up to 3.3l u guys should meet. his car is beautiful. hes been trying to sell and part it for a while. i think he has about 454rwhp in that thing. that would be kool to see

Nice numbers! And on 91 octane also, makes me want to keep and install my supercharger. What size pulley are you running on the charger itself?

Also, was the the baseline dyno on dynapack also or on dynojet?

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    congrats croak...those r impressive numbers to say the least!
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="1"></font></b><br />
    The infamous "Paul E." and I after some detailing...

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    HP/TQ on run #1, crappy camcorder still shot, forgive the quality. If you squint you can see a faint line overlaid, that's the second run, in 4th gear.

Also, the charts they gave me had the "corrected" flywheel TQ instead of the wheel TQ, that's why it reads so high on the chart, look to the margin on the right for the real TQ peak.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Croak; 01-16-2005 at 01:45 AM.

CarDomain page

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    Boost/Lambda, run #1, same apology as the first picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CarDomain page

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    WOW good numbers!!!!!!

get us some vid's on that thing.

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    Quote Originally Posted by 96cosmosM3
    Nice numbers! And on 91 octane also, makes me want to keep and install my supercharger. What size pulley are you running on the charger itself?

Also, was the the baseline dyno on dynapack also or on dynojet?
    6" Buldogge crank pulley, 3.33" Vortech pulley

Baseline was on a Dyno Dynamics roller dyno.

CarDomain page

My Cars
    Recovering Boost Junkie...
    Great numbers, congrats!
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    M Roadster

Awesome

Congrat!!!!! How did you do it? please share with us. What mod made the biggest difference in power gain. This has to be the most powerful stock 3.0L supercharged RMS car.

My Cars
    '11 X3 XDrive 35i
    Incredible,
    Basically with the addition of a better tune and RMS Aftercooler gain of approx 100 HP. That gives me a whole bunch of hope for 400 rwhp.
    Congrats! Now just get rid of that belt slip.

How does the car feel?

1999 Silver M3
    Dinan Supercharger @ 7 PSI, RMS Aftercooler, OBDI manifold, suspension Stage3, Exhaust. Alpina 18 Wheels, 10.0 MSL Head gasket, 1mm oversize valves and Head porting.
    303 RWHP SAE
    12.923 @ 107mph 75deg ambient 112mph best

My Cars
    '11 X3 XDrive 35i
    With a 6" pulley what boost are you making off idle?
    Me running the 5" still, I make like ~2psi @ 1500 rpm. Just curious if it jumps up to like 4 or more.
    Anyone?

1999 Silver M3
    Dinan Supercharger @ 7 PSI, RMS Aftercooler, OBDI manifold, suspension Stage3, Exhaust. Alpina 18 Wheels, 10.0 MSL Head gasket, 1mm oversize valves and Head porting.
    303 RWHP SAE
    12.923 @ 107mph 75deg ambient 112mph best

My Cars
    All
    Man that's awesome. That car must fly!

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    Congradulations Croak great #'s especcially on 91 octane!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Good numbers, FI BMWs are what we are all about! Now get the Wookie out of it and see what it will run at a drag strip!
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Congratulations Croak!
    That is awesome! We have to meet up! We live so darn close. Have fun with that bad boy!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    see sig
    I miss my vortechs
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    a
    Croak - 400rwhp on 91 octane gas with a supercharger is not an easy task.. I can count the # of vortech based kits @ 400rwhp on one hand...

congrats!

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    It's not 400 yet, but thanks.

And Kenny...I'm more like the wookie than I am Han, size wise. But with a lot less hair. I could probably shave off a couple 1/10th just by going on a diet for a month or so.

CarDomain page

My Cars
    99 m coupe, 88 M5
    Awesome numbers, whats next? I know you want to break the 400hp number

JMC
    Motor: Hurtig/AA custom 2.0l TS OBD2 AA tuned 444whp/384wtq SAE 470whp/400wtq STD
    Exhaust RMS headers, Maximum PSI custom exhaust, magnaflow mufflers
    Driveline E46 M3 6 SPEED, 2.93 LSD, Rouge SSK/tranny mounts, UUC Ultrasmooth /LTW steel flywheel. CDV delete, UUC clutch pedal bushings with GSP pedal
    COOLING: Stewart WP, 78* thermostat, S54 radiator, Euro/S54 oil cooler, ES TS oil cooler adapter, M3 power steering cooler
    HANDLING: MR M CAR SF reinforcement, TCK D/A CO 450/500, TCK Camber Plates, Rogue RSM, Ireland SFB, Dinan STB. CCW classics, polished lip, brushed centers. P295/30/18 P245/35/18.
    THE SHOW: Stygar Z8 Nozzels, Leather Z armrest, Z8 push button start, chrome door handles, OEM FOGS, BMW Traffic Pro.
    Monitoring: PLX Wideband, VDO vision boost/VAC both with custom chrome trim ring.
    COMING SOON: custom intake

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    I feel pretty confident that tweaks to the tuning can get me there. And I haven't went down the headers or cams or track pipe route yet, if I really start itching for more power.

But believe it or not, even before I got the dyno numbers, I was really satisfied with the power of the car since the aftercooler install. Smooth, fast, reliable, it's my daily driver, and it's been hassle-free.

So if all I manage to get done with a re-tune is smooth out the AFR's so they look pretty on a dyno chart, I'd walk away happy.

CarDomain page

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    I dont know why I didnt see this before. Guess i thought the dynopak graphs were too hard to see the details in.. Anyway, heres my question.... Its stated that PEAK boost achieved on the run depicted is 10.8 psi at redline. But I decided to take a good look at the boost curve.. And you know what it says? AT redline, depicted at 7053 rpms, boost is 12.7 psi, not 10.8 psi.. Assuming 15 whp per psi, this misstatement of peak boost would account for 30 whp.. So instead of making 395 whp, its making 365 whp at 10.8 psi. How much do underdrive pullies account for... 10 whp? So now my whp results done in 96 degree fla look just like these.. Cept I dont have the obdi manifold.. cause im not obdi! naturally...

What am I misreading here... why is the boost peak quoted at 10.8 psi, when the plot clearly shows 12.7 at redline?
    Last edited by paul e; 01-17-2005 at 10:43 PM.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    Nice find Paul. Certainly would explain the difference between your numbers and croaks!
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="1"></font></b><br />
    The infamous "Paul E." and I after some detailing...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast