Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 328i conv top

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE

E36 328i conv top

Hi
    I have read every top problem thread and got all the information I could find on
    The top mechanism and still couldn’t figure out what the hell is wrong with it
    Problem
    I bought a 328i e36 conv.
    The top was closed
    The past owner said that the top gust stopped working suddenly
    The gears ware out of place (lever has been pulled)
    I opened the top manually and reattached the 2 gears
    The top open-close switch was blinking read
    I pushed it to open and held it then turned the key to the accessory position as I read that it would reset and synchronize the gears but nothing happened!

I cheeked every sensor and wire all the mechanical parts are in A+ condition
    I am going mad
    Pls. help I am desperate

My Cars
    '98 328i Convertible
    I found this by searching for "reset convertible top".
    ---------------------------------------------------

Resetting the Convertible Top

This is the procedure to reset the E36 convertible top. This procedure was described for a 97 328ic, which has the fully-automatic top. It also works for a 95 325ic with the semi-automatic top, (my car).

The top mechanism is driven by two electric motors located in the trunk -- one for the lid of the storage bin and one for the top itself.

Closing the top manually requires releasing the two motors from their transmission drives by pulling on the release handle located underneath the rear seat bottom.

Make sure you pull it our far enough to release both motors completely.

After pulling the handle out, push it all the way back in.

Pull up on the storage bin cover and manually place the top down into the storage bin.

Close the lid of the bin as far as it will go. You may need to push down on the lid so that it closes far enough to allow you to open the trunk, (there's a safety interlock that prevents the trunk from being opened at the same time as the lid.

While holding down on the storage lid, open the trunk.

Remove the carpet liner from the left side, (drivers side) of the trunk. There are two plastic clips that hold the liner in place, you can pry them out with a screwdriver. Behind the liner are the two motors that work the mechanism. One is next to the quarter panel on the side of the car, the other is located just behind the rear, seat-back frame.

The gears on the motors engage the gears for their respective transmissions, but when the release lever is pulled the motors pop away and disengage. You have to push the motors back into position so that the gears re-engage.

When you do this the spring-loaded catch mechanism will firmly latch into place. Be sure the motor is firmly seated into the drive and not just partially engaged. If the motor(s) won't re-engage, get some pliers and softly rotate the gear on the motor just a smidgeon, then try again.

Once both motors are re-engaged, get into the car and with the ignition key in the off position, press and hold the top control switch in the up (for closing) position.

Continuing to hold this switch, turn the key to the "accessory" position without starting the car, (while still holding the control switch in the close position).

After about 10 - 12 seconds, the lid will be pulled down into the locked position and then after a few more seconds the top will start it's normal closing procedure.

The motors are now re-timed and should be all set. Work the system a few times to ensure that both motors are properly engaged.
    '98 328 Alpinweiss Cabriolet, 150K, CD43, CHA-S634 MP3 Changer, Chromeline Interior Trim, 'Redlined' Gears & Diff, Z3 Chromed 16" Rims, Billet Front Stress Bar, aFe CAI, 'Golf Tee' Exhaust Mod, Powerdiscs, SS Brake Lines, CDV delete, JTD Underpanel, BAV Lowering Springs, Bilstien Sports, Bimmerworld Rear Lower Control Arms and Front Camber Plates, E46 RSM's with reinforcing plates, Electric Rad Fan, Alum. T-Stat Housing, Mishimoto Hi-Capacity Aluminum Radiator, Hi-Performance Water pump, 3.23 LSD, Sharked.
    Sometime to come: New Clutch with LWFW, Clutch Stop, M50 Manifold, M3 Cams, Supercharger (I can dream).

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE
    I did that exactly but didn’t work
    I think it’s an electronic problem
    Can any one help me to isolate the problem?
    I would really appreciate it

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE

Unhappy

I made an appointment with the BMW dealer to check on the problem
    I hope it wont cost my big bucks

My Cars
    '98 328i Convertible
    Sorry, I mis-interpreted your first post and mistakenly reversed the top open/closed logic. Once you've stowed the top (top is down), you might have to push down on the convertible top's hatch cover to actuate the switch which tells the system the cover is fully closed. It's on the right side of the car.
    '98 328 Alpinweiss Cabriolet, 150K, CD43, CHA-S634 MP3 Changer, Chromeline Interior Trim, 'Redlined' Gears & Diff, Z3 Chromed 16" Rims, Billet Front Stress Bar, aFe CAI, 'Golf Tee' Exhaust Mod, Powerdiscs, SS Brake Lines, CDV delete, JTD Underpanel, BAV Lowering Springs, Bilstien Sports, Bimmerworld Rear Lower Control Arms and Front Camber Plates, E46 RSM's with reinforcing plates, Electric Rad Fan, Alum. T-Stat Housing, Mishimoto Hi-Capacity Aluminum Radiator, Hi-Performance Water pump, 3.23 LSD, Sharked.
    Sometime to come: New Clutch with LWFW, Clutch Stop, M50 Manifold, M3 Cams, Supercharger (I can dream).

My Cars
    E36325 CABRIO
    are the motors are working when you press the top switch ?
    E36 325I EURO MODEL
    M3 ORI MIRROR'S
    M3 ORI DOOR MOULDING'S
    M3 ORI FRONT BUMPER
    M3 ORI LIP SPOILER
    M3 ORI REAR BUMPER
    M3 ORI REAR BUMPER DIFUSER
    M3 ORI SIDE SKIRTS
    M3 ORI 17" WHEEL'S
    M3 STREEING WHEEL HALF LEHTER/WOOD
    VDO GAUGES PANEL
    HARDTOP
    HARDTOP LIFTER
    BILSTEIN SHOCK'S
    BREMBO DISC'S
    SUPERSPRINT END'S
    ORI CLEAR LIGHT ALL AROUND
    K&N PANEL FILTER
    Euro Angel Eye Headlight Kit(BLACK FINISH)
    CHIP
    INSIDE ORIGINAL WOOD FINISH
    MB QUART 325.02 COMP+SOUNDSTREAM AUDIO SYSTEM.
    Also e38 model and E39 model

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    how do you open the storage thing for the top manually? I cant seem to find out how to do it.

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE
    Hi everyone
    Toke the car to the BMW dealer to point out the problem, they told me it will take them about 2 weeks! With about 650US$ to check only not to fix
    The motors don’t work, I can’t hear them, I don’t think that any currant is flowing in the circuits
    I tested them independently they both worked
    Can any one help me out?
    I think it’s an electronic problem
    I would appreciate any help pls.

how do you open the storage thing for the top manually? I cant seem to find out how to do it.

Assuming your tope is in the up position (close) and its the full automated type and the motors are released

Remove the square plastic patch from the tope front cover near the mirror
    It will reveal a small knob hole that you will have to turn clock wise many many many many times all the way until it clicks, you will notice that the tops front rises up
    Go to the rear end of the top and left it up open the storage cover it opens the opposite way of the trunk, and the trunk has to be closed, release the rear end of the top and push it inside the storage then close the cover

My Cars
    E36325 CABRIO
    hi

which model year is your car ?
    E36 325I EURO MODEL
    M3 ORI MIRROR'S
    M3 ORI DOOR MOULDING'S
    M3 ORI FRONT BUMPER
    M3 ORI LIP SPOILER
    M3 ORI REAR BUMPER
    M3 ORI SIDE SKIRTS
    M3 ORI 17" WHEEL'S
    VDO GAUGES PANEL
    HARDTOP
    HARDTOP LIFTER
    BILSTEIN SHOCK'S
    BREMBO DISC'S
    SUPERSPRINT END'S
    K&N PANEL FILTER
    CHIP

My Cars
    '97 320iC
    Maybe this could help you out a bit, it's for the full auto version.

Troubleshooting convertible

Troubleshooting table for microswitch convertible top

Hope it helps

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE
    My car is 328i e36 1997 fully automatic power top
    I just got the BMW 3 series service manual from bentley publishers and thy say that the electronic circuits used to control the convertible top operation are complex, diagnosis of the convertible top and the rollover protection system are beyond the scope of this book!
    COME..ON that’s what I was looking fore, gees have to look else ware
    I cheeked the links thanks very much I’ll tri to link things together

My Cars
    '94 325i 'vert
    did you try what the other guys said? try pushing down on the boot (on both sides) to make sure that top recognizes that its closed

yea my bentley didn't have any info on the top either...but I followed that re-synching procedure.

Recheck and retrace your steps...pull the release lever again, make sure the motors are firmly seated (you should hear a good click), make sure the trunk is closed, make sure the boot is ALL the way down (check both sides).

or...maybe its just a fuse?
    '94 325i convertible
    - basic mods

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE
    Thanks for the tips I’ll try again on Wednesday and Thursday
    Let you now what happens

My Cars
    E36325 CABRIO
    in the rear left side(driver side) where is the cover for the speakers there is the brain of the top that give power to the motors .
    check if the brain gets power and send power to the engines when you press the top switch.
    then you will need to take off the left rear trunk cover(driver side).
    and you will find there the motor that open the storages for the top .
    check if the motors get power when you press the top switch.
    you have to close the boot luck so it will work.
    and press the two micro switch's in the boot.
    it is best that you will work on the car with anther person.
    then check that all the connection are will connected
    i hope i help you .
    let me know what you find out.
    E36 325I EURO MODEL
    M3 ORI MIRROR'S
    M3 ORI DOOR MOULDING'S
    M3 ORI FRONT BUMPER
    M3 ORI LIP SPOILER
    M3 ORI REAR BUMPER
    M3 ORI SIDE SKIRTS
    M3 ORI 17" WHEEL'S
    VDO GAUGES PANEL
    HARDTOP
    HARDTOP LIFTER
    BILSTEIN SHOCK'S
    BREMBO DISC'S
    SUPERSPRINT END'S
    K&N PANEL FILTER
    CHIP

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE

Lightbulb

Hi
    I found this link but it's for the e46
    http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/63-10074-76196-529/E46ConvertibleTop.pdf
    There is some similarity; I’ll go from there
    I hope I don’t screw thins up

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE

Thumbs up

I fixed it
    I’m soooooo happy

The problem was an over sized fuse in the rear (the one next to the battery) and 2 diodes on the CVM module they ware blown broke
    Replaced them and a new fuse 20A and it worked
    Cost 2 US$
    Thanks everyone for the help and sport it's really depreciated

My Cars
    E36325 CABRIO
    good for you .

what is cvm ?
    E36 325I EURO MODEL
    M3 ORI MIRROR'S
    M3 ORI DOOR MOULDING'S
    M3 ORI FRONT BUMPER
    M3 ORI LIP SPOILER
    M3 ORI REAR BUMPER
    M3 ORI SIDE SKIRTS
    M3 ORI 17" WHEEL'S
    VDO GAUGES PANEL
    HARDTOP
    HARDTOP LIFTER
    BILSTEIN SHOCK'S
    BREMBO DISC'S
    SUPERSPRINT END'S
    K&N PANEL FILTER
    CHIP

My Cars
    328I E36 CONVERTIBLE
    CVM (convertible-top module)
    The one you referred to as the brain of the top that give power to the motors
    Thanks for pointing that for me
    You’ve been really helpful

My Cars
    '98 328i Convertible
    Wow! Excellent repair job, ZotZot!! I have not heard of this happening before, but I will certainly remember it!

My Cars
    BMW
    I have had the same top problem Z. I have a 95' 325. Where on the module did you find blown diodes? The circut board is top and bottom soldered. The components are way too timy to solder and desolder. Plus there is zener diodes that are hare to make out the specs on. I have had this module apart for 2 days checking it over, and the only answer is to buy a new one. I also have been a circut board designer for over 12 years. If you know something I dont please share. Summer is half over and I cant put the top down!
    Additionaly I looked for the fuse near the battery and I have none. Maybe becasue its 95? I could find one near the battery, but I didnt take up any carpet and look further.
    Also I read you tested the motors separatly. Can you explain how? I know the blue wires (one with red stripe and one with blue) connected to the red and green wires of the motor are + and - 12 volts. And for the deck motor its violet with red and green stripes connected to red and black of the deck motor. What did you use to apply + and - 12 volts to make the motors spin clockwise and counter clockwise? And what common ground? Each have their own throught the module so its not as eazy as just applying 12v.

YOUR MY ONLY HOPE OBI WAN!

My Cars
    NG SAAB 9-5
    I would like to know exactly where these fuses & brain are located.

My problem is that when I do the reset thing with the top folded down, the storage lid gets sucked down like it's supposed to but then nothing else happens. If I redo the reset thing while the lid is still siked down, I hear the motor click, like it's trying to do something but nothing.

The funny thing is, I did the reset thing with the top closed, as if it worked correctly & I was just putting the top down & the top folds like normal, the back of the top flips up, the storage lid opens, the top folds away, the storage lid closes & locks. But then it won't open back up or close.

I guess even though the light on the switch does not come on, the switch works since I can get that far. Also both motors work & the sensors must be working. When I press the sensor on the storage lock I can hear the trunk lock, sometimes. My guess is that it is either the trunk lock microswitch or something in the control module (brain).

Anyone experience anything similar?

My Cars
    NG SAAB 9-5
    I just realized that my problem might be the microswitch for the trunk lock. Anyone know exactly where it's located & how to check it?

Thanks!

My Cars
    '94 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbris1
    I just realized that my problem might be the microswitch for the trunk lock. Anyone know exactly where it's located & how to check it?

Thanks!
    The microswitch for the lid is on the passenger side of the compartment that the lid covers when it comes down. You'll see a latch (bronze/gold color) that the lid pushes down when it closes. The microswitch in located under that latch. The latch pushes the switch when the lid is closed to tell the rest of the car that the lid is locked. Most notably, the trunk will not open while the lid is up.

Also, you describe the motor "clicking like it is trying to do something". This sounds like what mine was doing. If you want to call me (I'm upstate), I'd be happy to explain what my problem was again, but it is too much to type out.

I'll PM you my cell number.

Scott

My Cars
    97 328ci
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbris1

Thanks!
    Did you ever solve your problem?

I am in a similar pickle:

After disengaging both top motors, retracting the top into the boot and bringing the lid down (at least as far as it will go with the motors disengaged), then re-engaging the motors, I try to re-sync the motors (using the method described above) and nothing!

If I re-engage the motors while the top is half way down, but with the lid still closed, and then try to lower or raise the top, it will lower (with the boot lid opening and closing) but will not go up at all!

Trying to find the answer but having a tough time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast