Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Spark plugs to buy??

My Cars
    94' BMW 325i, 96' Chev. Beretta

Which Spark plugs to buy??

Before anyone says anything, yes I did search. Most answers that people got previously weren't too clear. I see that the plat. 4's are not good for the bimmers, although some people use it without a problem.

Im just posting to make sure im buying the right thing, and if I need to change the spark plug gap.

Over at bimmerzone.com, they have these:
    Spark Plug BKR6EQUP NGK 7.99

I'm leaning towards these right now, are these good? Which model is the factory Bosch plug?

Thanks for the help
    Cardomain

upcoming mods:
    (ordered) Cosmos CAI
    (summer project) aftermarket bumpers + painted bumpers/skirts

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    I use Bosch F7LDCR...and so should you
    [
    Turner Perf Chip/Fan Delete/Sparco Strut Tower Brace/X-Brace/JTD Underpanel
    Zimmerman X-D Rotors/Axxis Ultimate Pads/Solid Caliper Guide Bolt Bushings
    UUC EVO3/DSSR SSK/3.15 LSD/Cosmos Racing CAI V2/ASC Delete
    96+ M3 LCA/LCAB M3 RTAB and GC Shims
    BMW OEM Alarm/Woodgrain Delete/Blizzaks baby!/16x7 BMW Style 30 Sport wheels

My Cars
    1998 328i
    love this place....
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    98 328is Cosmos
    Well, you're supposed to do this:

M52 engine: NGK BKR6EQUP
    M50 engine: NGK BKR6EK

My Cars
    98' 328i, 91 318is
    I got the two prong non platnum from bav auto for 6 bucks each(shown abouve). Cheaper them platinum. The Bav auto guy told me not to buy platinum and they were more money too! So he saved me a few bucks, and I got the correct plugs...

My Cars
    94' BMW 325i, 96' Chev. Beretta
    Alright, thanks all,

I think Ill be buying those from bavauto, they seem pretty inexpensive which is always a plus
    Cardomain

upcoming mods:
    (ordered) Cosmos CAI
    (summer project) aftermarket bumpers + painted bumpers/skirts

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmage
    Alright, thanks all,

I think Ill be buying those from bavauto, they seem pretty inexpensive which is always a plus
    Meh, I would get the NGK plugs.

My Cars
    98 328is Cosmos
    My car only has about about 30K miles on it .... I dont think the original plugs were ever changed.... its good to know that when I was putting in my 4 prong NGK's..... out from the engine, came 4 prong NGK's that had the BMW logo on them too ...

My Cars
    '87 325is Spec E30
    JW guys, is there a performance difference with new spark plugs?

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by redrocket328
    JW guys, is there a performance difference with new spark plugs?
    Generally no. Come on, performance increase for $20-30 dollars on a maintenance item?

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Bimmer
    Generally no. Come on, performance increase for $20-30 dollars on a maintenance item?
    Depends how bad the plugs that you are replacing are. Some plugs you find have the posts totally eaten away, crappy performance. New plugs you will notice

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    Personally I like the Denso Iridium plugs.

They claim a 5-6 hp increase but the real difference to me was in how they seemed to smooth out the powr curve from low to high RPM --less choppy.

They are a bit more expensive (about $10 a piece on line) but to me they are worth it as the engine runs really smoothly on them. (Plus they will go nicely with the new Plasma coils you'll be installing )

http://www.sparkplugs.com
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    E39 540i
    My vote is for the Denso plugs. I went from NGK to Denso, along with Plasma Coils, and the difference was very noticable.

-DanB

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fredo328
    Depends how bad the plugs that you are replacing are. Some plugs you find have the posts totally eaten away, crappy performance. New plugs you will notice
    That's called maintenance, not modding/upgrading.

My Cars
    GX470
    Just get the stock plugs!!! I had the NGK platinums in my car and they made no difference, car ran like crap! Worst money ever spent! In warm weather the car will run like crap for the first 5 mins after start. Your car's engine does not need a platinum plug like NGK, the only cars that platinum plugs work somewhat good in are Porsches.

My Cars
    '87 325is Spec E30
    I knew it was maintanence but i was wondering if there was a difference in performance in cheaper vs. a bit more expensive spark plugs. THanks though guys

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by redrocket328
    I knew it was maintanence but i was wondering if there was a difference in performance in cheaper vs. a bit more expensive spark plugs. THanks though guys

yes. That's why people are willing to pay more for the iridiums

OT--RR did you cathc the $1030 thread? there is a sub discussion about M50 manifolds in there....
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    '87 325is Spec E30
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyM
    OT--RR did you cathc the $1030 thread? there is a sub discussion about M50 manifolds in there....
    No what is the thread called and what section is it located?

My Cars
    '87 325is Spec E30
    Nvm, i found it. Thanks by the way.

My Cars
    '92 BMW 325i and '84 633CSi
    Well, I just bought my 92 325i, and I knew I need to change my spark plugs. We went to Advance Autoparts, and they were out of everything but the Bosch Platinums +4. I was a little leary about putting them in, since I had heard horror stories about misfiring, but they worked GREAT!!! Honestly man, I really think it depends on your car. The thing I like about the Bosch Platinums +4s is that they have a 100,000 mile/lifetime warrenty. So if you keep the receipt, and you change your spark plugs with in 100,000 miles of the last time you bought it, they will give you new ones for the ones you took out of your car. I think that is pretty cool (to not have to buy spark plugs anymore). Anyway, everyone has their experiences with all sorts of different plugs. Find out what works for you. But I spent $36 on spark plugs last week, and that is the last time I'll have to shell out money for spark plugs again.
    Livin' the Dream.

My Cars
    Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Shiney VW
    Quote Originally Posted by doctajay
    Well, I just bought my 92 325i, and I knew I need to change my spark plugs. We went to Advance Autoparts, and they were out of everything but the Bosch Platinums +4. I was a little leary about putting them in, since I had heard horror stories about misfiring, but they worked GREAT!!! Honestly man, I really think it depends on your car. The thing I like about the Bosch Platinums +4s is that they have a 100,000 mile/lifetime warrenty. So if you keep the receipt, and you change your spark plugs with in 100,000 miles of the last time you bought it, they will give you new ones for the ones you took out of your car. I think that is pretty cool (to not have to buy spark plugs anymore). Anyway, everyone has their experiences with all sorts of different plugs. Find out what works for you. But I spent $36 on spark plugs last week, and that is the last time I'll have to shell out money for spark plugs again.

I have bosch platnum 4's in my car and have had them in for over a year. I put them in to replace bad stock plugs that where missfiring. I have put around 9k of mileage on them and they still working fine. I guess it depends on the car but they work fine for me.

Pete
    A really nice VW (another one) and 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee

My Cars
    660 Raptor
    I put P-4's into both vehicles and both run rich now, I believe they require after market ignition systems to work correctly.

My Cars
    Jetta
    What is the difference between the Denso $12 Iridium and the NGK $7 Iridium?
    Can you point me to a website with a good price on the plasma coils?
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Why is it that the NGK BKR6EQUP which people recommend has +4 setup and doesn't cause problems like the platinum?
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    1992 325i
    Had the Bosch 4+ Platinums for almost 5 years. No problem until I noticed one of the plugs swimming in oil. Car still runs fine but since I need to replace the valve cover gasket, I might as well change the plugs. I'm putting in NGKs this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast