Thread: Advice on M3 body upgrade

My Cars
    Jetta

Advice on M3 body upgrade

I need to purchase an M3 front bumper and mirrors.

M3 Bumper conversion:
    Apparently for the bumper you need 11 parts to make the upgrade:

1. 51-11-2-251-767
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part Front lip (front lip spoiler?) for M3 2dr, spoiler, M-Technik spoiler

2. 51-11-2-250-685
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part front mesh grille (goes in front spoiler/fascia large opening), oem description prime coated covering

3. 82-11-9-403-142
    OEM - E36 3 series non-M3 to M3 retrofit kit bumper/fascia part, oem description spoiler - this is the M-Technik bumper and hardware needed to use the rest of the M3 fascia parts, (is not a complete kit - only the bumper portion, customer will need moldings (either flat or porus - the dark grey portion of plastic that goes on the bumper), the mesh grille, and the lip spoiler)

4. 51-11-2-251-389
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part, oem description seal (left)

5. 51-11-2-251-390
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part, oem description seal (right)

6. 51-71-2-250-641
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part, oem description wedge (left)

7. 51-71-2-250-642
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part, oem description wedge (right)

8. 51-11-2-265-637
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part, oem description rubber strip (left), grey moldings on bumper, 96-99 M3, look textured mouldings

9. 51-11-2-265-638
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part, oem description rubber strip (right), grey moldings on the bumper 96-99 M3 look, look textured mouldings

10. 51-11-2-265-636
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part, oem description rubber strip, grey moldings on the bumper (center piece), 96-99 M3 look, look textured mouldings

11. 51-11-2-265-639
    OEM - E36 M3 bumper/fascia part, oem description M3 tow cover
    Here is a thread in the group buy section where you can buy these parts: $515.19

Used: ~$300 - ??

M3 Mirrors:
    There are 3 options:
    1. OE/OEM new/used
    www.pacificbmw.com
    www.bekkers.com:$481.58
    Bavarian Auto Recycling: ~$250-300?
    Ebay/Classifieds: ~$250-300

2. Grey market OEM new/used
    Here is an Ebay auction for grey market mirrors: ~$100 ea.
    Here is their website: http://www.carpartswholesale.com/

3. Aftermarket new/used
    www.pelicanparts.com: $203.70

Well, this is the information that I have compiled thus far. Please feel free to add any relevent information.

My predicament is this: I need to pick these items up fairly quickly but of course I am on a budget. I would prefer OE/grey market items, and used is fine.
    It seems difficult to find these items when you need them however. If anyone has a line on any of these items at a competitive price please let me know.

Please post your experience and information pertaining to M3 body kit upgrades.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    96 328IS, CBR600 F3, 85 GS700 Cafe Racer
    Im sure you can grab a used M3 bumper, then just buy the 10 remaining parts from the conversion kit. That should save ya a few $$$$$.

Your on a tight timetable, and a tight budget?? Thats a difficult combination. If you gave yourself some time Im sure you could save yourself some more $$$$$ by hunting BMW classifieds and ebay day in and day out.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverLeaned
    Im sure you can grab a used M3 bumper, then just buy the 10 remaining parts from the conversion kit. That should save ya a few $$$$$.

Your on a tight timetable, and a tight budget?? Thats a difficult combination. If you gave yourself some time Im sure you could save yourself some more $$$$$ by hunting BMW classifieds and ebay day in and day out.
    I have been looking for a used bumper...haven't found anything yet.
    The time schedule isn't particularly tight but I don't want it to be 2 months from now. As for the budget....I have some insurance money but not quite enough to buy a whole new bumper at market prices....
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    In case you are interested:
    Ebay seller claims to have full kit
    $399 + $70 for lip spoiler - can't tell if it comes with mesh grille or seals....

My Cars
    Too Many
    I bought my front bumper from MREPARTS on ebay. He was super nice and gave me a great deal. It didn't come with the mesh but if you ask him he sells those also. I got my bumper and the mesh shipped from him for less then the group buy.
    1997 M3 Sedan 5-Speed: Cosmos/Black - Bilstein/H&R Sports, UUC Delrin Clutch Arm/Shifter Bushings, ZHP Knob, CD43

1992 968: Black/Black - 220 LSD

1987 944: Grey/Tan - D90's

1986 951: White/Black - Factory Sunroof Delete, A/C Delete, Manual Steering, Manual Windows, Cup Mirrors, Koni M030, Full 3-Inch Speed Force Racing Exhaust, 46mm Tial Wastegate, Cross-Drilled Rotors, SS Brake Lines, LR Silicone Vacuum Line Kit, Momo Suede Steering Wheel, Euro Fogs, Euro Rear Bumper, Recaro Pole Positions, Hella E-Code H4 Headlights, CS Rear Seat Delete, AOR LSD.

Gone:
    83' 944 Red/Brown, 90' 325i White/Tan, 87' 325is Red/Black, 88' 944 Red/Black, 87' 944 Grey/Tan, 86' 951 Garnet/Black, 87' 951 Red/Tan, 92' 325i Green/Tan, 92' 325is Black/Dove, 97' 328is Black/Dove, 87' 944 Red/Tan, 88' 951 White/Tan, 94' 325is M-Technic

My Cars
    Jetta
    and how much was that amount?
    I noticed he only offers bid pay or money order which usually is asking for trouble...at least for money order, but I don't know much about bid pay except that I think it has a cost for the buyer....

My Cars
    96 328IS, CBR600 F3, 85 GS700 Cafe Racer
    $400 for the whole kit?? Someone (well 5 people) should grab that.

My Cars
    RIP:'93 325i ; '07 e61 x
    Just curious.
    Why do you NEED to purchase M3 parts?
    3rd Infantry Division, United States Army

"Rock of the Marne!"

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by RacermeX
    Just curious.
    Why do you NEED to purchase M3 parts?
    Because my car got vadalized and this is my way of making it better.

That, and I like them more.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverLeaned
    $400 for the whole kit?? Someone (well 5 people) should grab that.
    $400 minus the lip spoiler, minus the mesh grille and possibly minus the misc seals that are listed as a requirement.
    Which through the group buy on this forum would be $386.84

I imagine that you can transfer your fog lights and brackets.

My Cars
    RIP:'93 325i ; '07 e61 x
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    Because my car got vadalized and this is my way of making it better.

That, and I like them more.
    Sucks.
    Hope you get it the way you like
    3rd Infantry Division, United States Army

"Rock of the Marne!"

My Cars
    Jetta
    It does suck because it is a violation, and it makes you realize that your prized posession is at the mercy of others......
    But on the lighter side this may give me some incentive to fix a few issues with the exterior appearance now that I am working on it anyway.

My Cars
    Too Many
    My total cost was right at $500 if I remember correctly. I got the bumper, mesh grill, brake ducts, and plastic fasteners, moldings, screws and clips, just about everything you can think of. It even came with new pieces for your foglight brackets that are shaped a little different to bolt to the bumper beam to the bumper cover. It was a great deal. I was skeptical at first about bidpay to but he sent the bumper and all to me just as promised.
    1997 M3 Sedan 5-Speed: Cosmos/Black - Bilstein/H&R Sports, UUC Delrin Clutch Arm/Shifter Bushings, ZHP Knob, CD43

1992 968: Black/Black - 220 LSD

1987 944: Grey/Tan - D90's

1986 951: White/Black - Factory Sunroof Delete, A/C Delete, Manual Steering, Manual Windows, Cup Mirrors, Koni M030, Full 3-Inch Speed Force Racing Exhaust, 46mm Tial Wastegate, Cross-Drilled Rotors, SS Brake Lines, LR Silicone Vacuum Line Kit, Momo Suede Steering Wheel, Euro Fogs, Euro Rear Bumper, Recaro Pole Positions, Hella E-Code H4 Headlights, CS Rear Seat Delete, AOR LSD.

Gone:
    83' 944 Red/Brown, 90' 325i White/Tan, 87' 325is Red/Black, 88' 944 Red/Black, 87' 944 Grey/Tan, 86' 951 Garnet/Black, 87' 951 Red/Tan, 92' 325i Green/Tan, 92' 325is Black/Dove, 97' 328is Black/Dove, 87' 944 Red/Tan, 88' 951 White/Tan, 94' 325is M-Technic

My Cars
    1994 325i
    None of these prices include the paint, right? Or are they pre-painted?
    Current mods: Euro clears, Strömung exhaust, Cosmos Racing Intake, sound system, X-brace, DEPO Projector36 Headlights w/ DDE, Prolumen HID 6000K, M3 front bumper, M3 rear diffuser, paint matched sideskirts and rear bumper, TMS chip, UUC tranny mounts w/ enforcers, Bilstein PSS Suspension.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by Blufire
    None of these prices include the paint, right? Or are they pre-painted?
    Primed, no paint.

My Cars
    Jetta
    post-Christmas bump.

My Cars
    323 IC
    be careful what you buy off ebay...most of the body kits are made of fiberglass which is brittle and can easily brake if you hit a parking stump or curb...(show me someone who has never hit the curb with their car and i'll be impressed)...their are however some sellers on ebay that sell ABS plastic bumpers OEM....recently I found one for the M3 E36 bumper with all hardware for $200...you dont have to buy the other parts to the bumper cause their all built in (ie moldings)...and you need to get it painted and installed...good luck

My Cars
    1994 bmw 318i
    what about ECU. auto and 5-spd don't mix. gotta have 5spdy trans ECU.