Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Baffleing Sub box

My Cars
    325is, maxima

Baffleing Sub box

I was thinking about baffeling my sub box by lining it with 2in bed foam. Ive herd of people using polyfill. Does any one know any thing about this. Its the same concept as putting a blanket in a bass drum. The only draw back in my case is it will make the volume of the box smaller. what do you guys think.

My Cars
    99 540i/6
    I dont know if bed foam is the same as polyfill, but polyfill will actually make the box seem larger than it really is. It can also eliminate standing waves I believe. You can also use pillow stuffing to do this.

[SIZE=1]r
    M5 front and rear bumpers, eisenmann race exhaust, supersprint straight pipe, m5 shifter, cdv removed, updated celis taillights, umnitza predator angrl eye's, euro style headlight assemblies, euro spec hella celis projectors, 6500k hid lows, 6500k hid fogs

My Cars
    325is, maxima
    i was thinking egg crate foam is similar to what they coat walls with in recording studios
    It cant hurt any thing right?
    Last edited by Kingrye; 12-20-2004 at 06:38 PM.

My Cars
    1995 Jetta GLX VR6 turbo, 1985 GTI 1.8T, 1971 2002
    poly fiber fill from the arts and crafts area works as good as anything and it totally proven.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 323is, 1993 acura intergra ls
    Perfectly cubed boxes have been said to create destructive or constructive waves as they bounce off the back but you also have to realize that to get this standing wave to create a constructive or destructive wave your box would have to be over 30' big.
    Some studios use deadening to help prevent these standing waves at higher frequencies. This would be true in smaller woofers, where the size of the box may actually be close to the size of the length of a complete wavelength at the frequency that it is playing.
    As for deadening, if you're talking about polyfill, it is used to make you box seem larger than what is actually is, and I have heard, but have no experience with, that adding filler will lower the resonant frequency of a box slightly.
    1998 323is
    Boston 6.53 Components FOR SALE PM ME
    DLS Iridium 6.3 Up front
    Adire Audio Brahma 12"
    PPI PCX4125 for mid and mid bass
    Alpine MRV301 for the tweets
    PPI PCX2400 for sub with Q-bass remote
    Clarion DXZ745mp
    Stinger RCA's
    1/0 Power wire
    to come soon: 200-240 Amp Alternator (can't decide which)
    and more pictures of the install

My Cars
    325is, maxima
    explain resonant frequency, if you could.

My Cars
    Many
    everything on earth has a resonating frequency. have you ever heard of the tacoma narrows bridge? it swung back and fourth because the wind was creating a frequency that matched the bridges own frequency. when you match somethings own frequency, it will double and often times destruct it.

My Cars
    E46iT, MK6 TDi, Z31Chump
    Taken from the12volt.com

Resonant Frequency - Frequency at which there is a response peak, due to a specific interaction of inductive and capacitive circuitry in an audio devise or system
    On a speaker response curve (looks like a dyno graph) the peak output is the resonant frequency. What jester is saying is that by adding polyfill, the peak output of your sub will happen at a lower frequency (ie 40hz vs 45hz) b/c the sub thinks the box is larger than it actually is.

My Cars
    '97 M3 and '88 Porsche 959 (1:18 scale).
    Adding polyfill is a harmless experiment. You can buy a cubic foot of the stuff for $10 from Crutchfield which is more than what most boxes should need. I used about half a cf in my 1 cf box and it noticebly improved the low end response. No, you're not going to hear a change in the speaker's output, but it will seem like the box is producing lower notes on the order of a whole octave. If you don't like the new sound, just take it out.
    Kenwood KDC-X890 head unit, Kenwood KDC-C719 CDC, AudioControl EQS 6 ch. EQ, JL Audio 500/1 mono sub amp, Eclipse 3460 4 ch. amp, Focal Polyglass 130V 5.25" components all around, a/d/s/ R10S sub in 1 cf sealed box, XMD1000 direct tuning XM receiver, Bilstein Sport shocks and struts, Eibach 26/22 sway bars, JTD front strut brace, rear shock brace, rear shock mounts, and underpanel, X brace, UUC short shift, hard-wired V1, Bridgestone S03s, 235/40ZR17 and 245/40ZR17 set at 35/37 pounds cold, braided stainless brake lines, ATE blue, Mobil 1, and EBC Green Stuff pads.

My Cars
    '06 Mazda MX-5
    or you can buy about 3 cu ft at walmart for around $2. It says "polyfil" on the bag, and has pictures of stuffed animals on it. Its all just polyester fiber, the same stuff the car audio places will assrape you for.

I have the walmart stuff in my box.
    Joe