Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photos of the 40 psi boosting M3

My Cars
    E36M3 Turbo 1100hp, E46M3 Turbo under surgery

Photos of the 40 psi boosting M3

Latest status....

I am photoshopping and will post more pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

E46 M3 SMG under turbo surgery

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    '96 M3 Turbo, '04 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by mertdastan
    Latest status....

I am photoshopping and will post more pics....
    Include a picture of your boost gauge doing 40psi while you're at it (in the car, ofcourse ). Video would be even better!

Boris
    '96 Cosmos Black M3 422rwhp/407rwtq SAE @ 13psi / 444rwhp/444rwtq SAE @ 14.5psi
    Engine/Drivetrain: Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo TT Turbo Exhaust, M50 Manifold, TMS Oil Baffles, SSR Comps, SPEC Stage II Clutch, UUC SSK, Titanium Cavallino Ti-130R Shift Knob, UUC TME, EMC Diff Bolt, RCCA's. Suspension: GC Coil-overs, GC RSMs, GC RTABs, GC Trans Mount; H&R SB. Instrumentation: VDO Boost, VDO Oil Press, VDO Oil Temp, VDO Water Temp, BMW Traffic Pro Navigation, Valentine One TODO: W/A Injection

My Cars
    Next one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

My Cars
    asf
    gooo!

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH
    alsjf;aklsjf;laksjf BIG TURBO RAWR!!!!!!!!!!

2001 E46 M3 SC ESS VT2-525 with pretty much everything else done
    2009 E90 335i xDrive (Daily) with JB4 and DCI
    1995 E36 M3 (indefinite hiberation) with Garage-Built Hodgepodge Turbo and more mods than I can remember anymore; 415whp/371wtq @ 12psi
    2000 E39 M5 (sadly gone; traded in for 335) with Magnaflow exhaust that I miss the most and would buy another in a heartbeat

My Cars
    550i dads, 85' 528e
    crazy dude, get some vids up
    Kevin

Just say no to slow Ayrton Senna "The Best"

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    That turbo is the size of my steering wheel ...

--

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3
    Nice to see that you're back up and running!
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    E34 535i TCD S3 Turbo, e46 m3
    that turbo is fricken huge. one question, when pushing 40 psi, how often must you rebuild that engine. wear and stress on the internals must be unbelieveable.

TCD S3 Completed! 400 rwhp/455 tq. Tuned by Larry Strouth @ HP Works.
    www.Turbochargingdynamics.com
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...929post7215929 <-------Parts for sale

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ///3oris
    Include a picture of your boost gauge doing 40psi while you're at it (in the car, ofcourse ). Video would be even better!

Boris
    Mert:
    Exactly! Please check the video sticky thread to see how Boris did his. Very easily with a cheap digital camera. Shouldn't take more than an hour to vid the gauge at 40PSI, come back to the house, get it on the computer & upload it to the net for viewing here. Actually I am sure Boris could host it for you if you need that done. Just send him the vid.

Do you have any closeups of the turbo & intake manifold. I see the FPR. That turbo looks giant. You were saying that it's the GT42/5-something?
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    Turbo M3, Cosworth Benzo
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3
    Mert:
    Exactly! Please check the video sticky thread to see how Boris did his. Very easily with a cheap digital camera. Shouldn't take more than an hour to vid the gauge at 40PSI, come back to the house, get it on the computer & upload it to the net for viewing here. Actually I am sure Boris could host it for you if you need that done. Just send him the vid.

Do you have any closeups of the turbo & intake manifold. I see the FPR. That turbo looks giant. You were saying that it's the GT42/5-something?

GT42/51
    ///Andres
    11 X5d sport - daily tow rig
    09 335d - evolve tuned 327whp / 490wtq
    97 M3 - NASA TTB
    95 M3 Turbo - 3.0l s52, PTE74GTQ, AEM EMS & CDI, etc

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Concentric190
    GT42/51
    That intercooler looks pretty thick. What are it's dimensions? And I don't see an oil cooler. Do you have one? Is that the stock radiator?

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    HighboostingM3,

The photos are just to show that there is some activity going on at my side.

I have a good friend who will do the mpeg job. But we must wait till the two Blow off valves arrive here and we install them. Now I see easily 40 psi. But the lower rpms, lower than 5500 rpm, are not so full of boost. In the past I had much more boost at these lower than 5500 rpms. From that day till today we have changed the turbocharger.

The turbocharger supplier sent me wrong turbos for 2 times. One time we had boost just above 7900 rpm and a miserable boost of 26 psi. Why? Because there was a 0,4" clearance between the turbocharger and the exhaust turbine housing. We have received a new Garrett, the one on the pic, and boost build up got better, but not as good as it was last year.

I have also noticed that the HKS blowoff valve was stuck open and it caused boost leakage. For these wild boost levels we need professional BOVs and I am getting Turbosmart ones. I will get them and install them.

Finally, we have a copper head gasket. Stock gasket does not last long. I had a thread about gasket failure. New head studs from raceware are on the post by DHL. I doubt the studs may flex as we opened the head a lot of times.

New stronger blow off valves, copper head gasket, and new studs will be installed and the videos will be on your screen. A little bit waiting and then the best set up will be captured....

I can just tell you that the thing is flying under WOT.

I will make some more pics. Close up ones will be taken. These pictures were made with the HQ set up, and when you decrease the size of the HQ photo it does not seem good.

This is a GT 42 compressor wheel with a GT45 exhaust turbine wheel.

Meanwhile I am so busy with the ///Ms: preparing a naturally aspirated Euro 3,2L with 284 degree Schrick cams, a supercharged M3, a supercharged M Roadster. All these cars are from foreign countries and we use the best engine internals:
    Forged J.Es
    Forged con rods
    Motorsport Gruppe A lightweight crankshaft
    Lightweight flywheel
    With these lightweight assembly we eil lrev 8500-8800 rpm and boost 16-18 psi.

Mert
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Mert,
    Thanks for all the information, that was very helpful!

Sorry to hear about the turbo problems & spool. When you were boosting 44PSI last year you were spooling into full boost sooner you say? What turbo was that? The turbo wasn't blown was it? Why did you change turbos then?

My Cars
    ıt was last april and may 2004, where I had 40 psi 5000 rpm with a similar turbocharger. At 4000 rpm we had 33 psi. So it was very responsive and fast...

GT42 compressor wheel 76 mm, but the exhaust turbine wheel was also GT42 by that time. Now, the same compressor wheel 76 mm, but GT45 exhaust turbine wheel. The turbocharger supplier told me that GT45 hot side is a new design.....

The old GT42/42 exhaust turbine wheel melted as we were trying to tune the 1600 cc injectors. We had some serious backfire and the turbine wheel melted. I ll also make some pics of the melted one.
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    ıt was last april and may 2004, where I had 40 psi 5000 rpm with a similar turbocharger. At 4000 rpm we had 33 psi. So it was very responsive and fast...

GT42 compressor wheel 76 mm, but the exhaust turbine wheel was also GT42 by that time. Now, the same compressor wheel 76 mm, but GT45 exhaust turbine wheel. The turbocharger supplier told me that GT45 hot side is a new design.....

The old GT42/42 exhaust turbine wheel melted as we were trying to tune the 1600 cc injectors. We had some serious backfire and the turbine wheel melted. I ll also make some pics of the melted one.
    Oh...so instead you decided on the GT45 tubine side this time then = more lag. So then this is not a GT42/51R...this is a GT45/42R correct?

My Cars
    m3
    can you post some of your old or current videos? i think i used to have some but lost them

tia
    "The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do."

"The great difference between us, Angelos, is this: you believe you have found salvation, and believing this, you are saved; I believe that salvation does not exist, and believing this I am saved."

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    What Do U Think The 1/4 Times Will Be ?

My Cars
    2004 545i, 1995 M3, 1995 Civic "Hooptie"
    But the lower rpms, lower than 5500 rpm
    When was 5500 RPM in a M3 considered low?

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bimr
    When was 5500 RPM in a M3 considered low?
    mind you that is a euro 3.2 and can rev a significant amount higher than it's little US spec cousin.

My Cars
    2004 545i, 1995 M3, 1995 Civic "Hooptie"
    Quote Originally Posted by DakarE36
    mind you that is a euro 3.2 and can rev a significant amount higher than it's little US spec cousin.
    Again as I said, when was 5500 RPM considered low for an M3?

My Cars
    ZHP
    You people are sick, this thread is a good example of why I'm afraid to come to this section of bfc.

My Cars
    The Bimma.
    Again as I said, when was 5500 RPM considered low for an M3?
    Good one! Ouch!
    You are the man!!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Oh...so instead you decided on the GT45 tubine side this time then = more lag. So then this is not a GT42/51R...this is a GT45/42R correct?
    No such animal as a GT45/42R.

The GT42 series comes in GT42/45R (45 turbine) and GT42/51R (51 turbine), each with multiple variants. I've heard of other GT42R variants but I am not sure if they are off the shelf or custom units. Blaise may know more about this one.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    I couldn't find a picture of a GT42 but here is a GT40...look at this thing! Looks like it is so heavy that it has a place where you can hook the chain on it from a cherry picker & lower the mother in.
    The GT40 is a plain bearing turbo. There is a GT40R as discussed previously. The GT42R turbos are a whole other world to the GT30R/GT35R and GT40R turbos. MUCH bigger.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast