Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the best E36 M3 to buy?

My Cars
    VDUB

What is the best year e36 m3 to get??

What year is the best in terms of the engine for an e36 m3, and also options/styling?? thanks guys

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    99 or 98.5. they have the 3 spoke steering wheel and rear headrests.

My Cars
    M3
    Honestly, the newer the better.

IMO, the 3.2L's were underrated. i think they are ~250HP
    Also, the 3.2's got digital climate control and staggered setup

and what Serious said above
    Alan
    1995 M3 | rattling sunroof

My Cars
    911 GT3, E30 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious
    3 spokes kick ass, but look for the lowest miles, with the best maint. history, and the color you want first, then retrofit the 3 spoke wheel if you want to later on.
    [B]
    [center]

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport

did 98.5 4 door M3's come with the 3 sopke steering wheels as well or was it only coupes?

my 98 4 door M3 has a 3 spoke steering wheel and was curious as to if the prev owner had done it did it come from the factory like that??

my rear seats also have head rests too if that helps..
    Nikon D800e | Nikon D700 | MB-D10 | SB900 | SB800 | SB600 | LumPro160 | Nikon 85 1.4G | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 35 1.4

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe

Exactamundo. Not to mention theres a slight chance (although it may be very slight) of a CPO warranty being on a 99. That's really what swayed me to buy mine.

D

My Cars
    '04 E55 AMG//'96 M3//'91 300E
    I think the 98.5 is the best because of the aforementioned steering wheel and headrests. The 99s didn't come with nappa leather
    1996 BMW ///M3

The Ultimate Driving Machine......is putting a hole in my pocket.

My Cars
    BMW 95 M3, E39 M5
    95 most definitely for th engine. It has the OBD-1 motor which is most compatible with mods. So point being, if you are going to mod the car egine wise, 95 for sure. I personally like my steering wheel better than the 3 spokes anyway... just preference. and how often do you have someone riding in the back seat of an m3??? who cares about head rests.

95 Avus Blue M3 Fikse FM10's

My Cars
    13E70X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by FCSmthree
    I think the 98.5 is the best because of the aforementioned steering wheel and headrests. The 99s didn't come with nappa leather
    Just curious, but how do you know 99s didn't come w/nappa? Cpe or Sed?

Thanks,
    jjr

My Cars
    2010 335d
    Quote Originally Posted by mpower4life
    95 most definitely for th engine. It has the OBD-1 motor which is most compatible with mods. So point being, if you are going to mod the car egine wise, 95 for sure.
    I thought this myth had already been busted? The 3.2L has WAY more torque, has ~300HP potential with the Conforti/eurosport OBD-II cam kit, and/or can even be converted to OBD-I too! I really don't see how the 3.0 is really any better.

the 3.2 stock exhaust (atleast exhaust manifolds and cat) flows a lot better too.

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5 & E46 LSB M3
    yeah, I think the 99 or 98.5 would be best, just because it has a 3.2L, more torque, and the 3 spoke. Damn I wish I had a 3 spoke!!!
    1997 BMW ///M3 - Estoril Sedan 5MT - M-Rain Interior (1 of 1)
    2001 BMW ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue 6MT
    YouTube: (///Motorsport Throttle)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUM...pYSmibzy5YmUvQ

My Cars
    '04 E55 AMG//'96 M3//'91 300E
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornswoggler
    I thought this myth had already been busted? The 3.2L has WAY more torque, has ~300HP potential with the Conforti/eurosport OBD-II cam kit, and/or can even be converted to OBD-I too! I really don't see how the 3.0 is really any better.

the 3.2 stock exhaust (atleast exhaust manifolds and cat) flows a lot better too.
    I agree as well, this may have been true more than a year ago, but people have found out how to tune OBDII with the M50 manifold, Euro HFM, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Argento
    Just curious, but how do you know 99s didn't come w/nappa? Cpe or Sed?

Thanks,
    jjr
    Do a search on it, there are a couple threads about it. A couple of friends of mine have 99s and their leather is not as soft as mine. I read that BMW ran out of Nappa leather and had to use a different brand leather, Buffalo I believe. Also, no sedans were made in 99, just in 97-98.
    1996 BMW ///M3

The Ultimate Driving Machine......is putting a hole in my pocket.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    All the owners of the 95 e36, say that they have the best year m3, only caus it has OBDI. I have a 99' m3 white wiht dove interior. I personally say the 98.5 and 99 are the best years, because of all the extra features, like auto climate control, (digital dispaly), heated seats, and also it has the best looking steering wheel. So i say go 98.5 and up.

My Cars
    13E70X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by FCSmthree
    I agree as well, this may have been true more than a year ago, but people have found out how to tune OBDII with the M50 manifold, Euro HFM, etc.

Do a search on it, there are a couple threads about it. A couple of friends of mine have 99s and their leather is not as soft as mine. I read that BMW ran out of Nappa leather and had to use a different brand leather, Buffalo I believe. Also, no sedans were made in 99, just in 97-98.

Ok thanks. I ran a seach and the thread I found said only sedans were affected (and $500 credit offered), meaning the shortage would of been sometime between ~97 and 98. The thread could be wrong though. Also, it said that buffalo leather doesn't have the m/stripes on the seats... Mregistry says nothing about it except that anthracite buffalo leather was an option, except in NA.

jjr

My Cars
    1997 M3/4, BMW 325is, Honda CR125, 100cc HPV go-k
    What about the 97 m3, is there any reson no one's mentioned that one?

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    IMO I'd go liek most people said. ANd get 98.5 to 99. My friend has a 99 and his warranty is about to run out in december though. So you MIGHT be able to get one with a warranty left.

Also to say. I have a 97, I have auto climate control. Digital display, heated seats. And pretty much everythign my friends 99 has, except he has 18 button obc, and rear headrests. He has auto seats but not heated seats. I have heated manual seats.

But I dont think the 3.2 has any more power. Stock wise. At least according to www.autos.msn.com a 99 has 240hp/236tq.

just my $0.02
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    A black rollerskate
    I just got a 99 M3 and love it for all the above reasons. You can feel the torque down lower which makes it sweet for daily driving.

My Cars
    '08 Touareg, 03 M3
    I, personally, like my analog climate control. I get a little fed up with all the unnecessary digital stuff that is going into cars. The simpler the dash the better, I mean how much of this stuff do you NEED in a car. I guess I am a minimalist. For a BMW my car is too loud, rides too rough, and sits too low. But I love it!

So...I would never complain about the 95. It has taken several thousand track miles with not a complaint. That and you can get them for cheap. The 95 also had a slightly quicker steering rack IIRC. I really do wish I had the 3.2L's torque though, and they have a slightly lower gear ratio in the differential.
    2003.5 E46M3 - BBS RGR, BMW Motorsport 3.91, JRZ/Dinan S3 suspension, SuperSprint V1 Stepped/cats, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    look at any of the guys making big hp in NA e36 m3's they all have 3.2's.

i love 95 m3's but the 3.0 isnt as torquy.

My Cars
    E36 M3 + 2010 XT
    the 95s are underpowered. get a 99

My Cars
    BMWs
    98.5 or 99. definitely not a 98 built in late '97. That's what I have and I had to replace my tranny. From what I gather, the 98's built in late '97 have a few more bugs. There is no official data to support this, but most people with annoying tranny probs seem to have 9/97 build cars. Once again, there is no official data to support this that I know of.

3 spoke wheel: 98.5+ Wish I had it. The other wheel is bulky and ugly.

As for headrests: 97+ I had them but sold them. View out the back is better without them.

Full OBC, climate control, etc: 96+ (option?) Have it and it sucks. A manual climate control sounds better. Besides, you have to turn that manual dial up top for the digi climate to actually do anything anyway. And the OBC is pointless.

Staggered wheels: 96+ Some hate it some love it. I think it looks great and with the right tire pressure doesn't seem to create too much understeer. My back end flies out too easily if you ask me.

3.2l motor: 96+ Worth it IMO. I've driven a few 95's and they felt weak compared to the 96+. I like revving but the 3.2l revs almost as good + it has torque.

The pushed out grill and smaller sidemarkers: from Late 96+ is a nice touch.
    /thread

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by ///AlpinePower
    the 95s are underpowered. get a 99
    This thoughtful comment made me laugh. Are 95's really underpowered, being that they have 0.2L less displacement, exactly the same bhp output, and slightly different torque curve due mainly to a different manifold? It really cracks me up to read this same heavily opinionated debate week after week. Everyone who has a 96-99 M3 swears its torque and few added luxury features owns all and there is no comparison, and everyone with a 95 M3 claims that the better steering rack, non-staggered setup, OBDI electronics, and better flowing M50 manifold are better. In all, I would say the "underpowered" 95 is better and more at home at high rpm and has a more race-ready feel, especially if you are going to spend time at the track, and the 99 is best on the street for everyday driving with its more usable torque curve. So, get the car that suits your needs, budget, and taste; I would think its that simple. And perhaps one of the mods should make a sticky comparison thread between 95 vs. 96-99 M3's to spare us all from this redundant debate time and time again. Thats my .02

-Aaron

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by hillzz22
    This thoughtful comment made me laugh. Are 95's really underpowered, being that they have 0.2L less displacement, exactly the same bhp output, and slightly different torque curve due mainly to a different manifold? It really cracks me up to read this same heavily opinionated debate week after week. Everyone who has a 96-99 M3 swears its torque and few added luxury features owns all and there is no comparison, and everyone with a 95 M3 claims that the better steering rack, non-staggered setup, OBDI electronics, and better flowing M50 manifold are better. In all, I would say the "underpowered" 95 is better and more at home at high rpm and has a more race-ready feel, especially if you are going to spend time at the track, and the 99 is best on the street for everyday driving with its more usable torque curve. So, get the car that suits your needs, budget, and taste; I would think its that simple. And perhaps one of the mods should make a sticky comparison thread between 95 vs. 96-99 M3's to spare us all from this redundant debate time and time again. Thats my .02

-Aaron
    Can't say I know a whole lot about the 95 - 96+ debate. But as for the starter of this thread. I would say, buy ANY M3 and you will most likely be happy. Do a few searches. Find what opinions seem to be the most consistent. (I say opinions, because 97% of the things stated on here ARE opinions). But ones that seem to be consistent are either true or very good coincidences. If you are really that bent on finding the PERFECT M3. THen do your research and make a decision. But most likely any year e36 M3 will bring you joy and excitement. Don't be so hell bent on a certain year. I know the 95 is supposed to be more susceptible to mods due to its OBDI electronics. THey don't conflict with mods. But now, mods are being made so they can work easier with OBDII. So modding shoudln't be too big of a difference. ANd you can buy higher flowing manifolds, to equal the 95. So taht shoudln't be a big deal. If money isn't a big deal, go with 99. It has the most options. And was the last year, therefore would have the most bugs worked out of it. My friend has a 99, and it is great. I have a 97, and I love it. I don't think there is too much different between them.

But just do some searching, and make a decision based on YOUR opinion, not other people's. Because in the end, you will be driving the car, and not the people whose OPINIONs you listened to.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    05 Yukon Denali,01 MB s430,99 Tacoma,95 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by hillzz22
    This thoughtful comment made me laugh. Are 95's really underpowered, being that they have 0.2L less displacement, exactly the same bhp output, and slightly different torque curve due mainly to a different manifold? It really cracks me up to read this same heavily opinionated debate week after week. Everyone who has a 96-99 M3 swears its torque and few added luxury features owns all and there is no comparison, and everyone with a 95 M3 claims that the better steering rack, non-staggered setup, OBDI electronics, and better flowing M50 manifold are better. In all, I would say the "underpowered" 95 is better and more at home at high rpm and has a more race-ready feel, especially if you are going to spend time at the track, and the 99 is best on the street for everyday driving with its more usable torque curve. So, get the car that suits your needs, budget, and taste; I would think its that simple. And perhaps one of the mods should make a sticky comparison thread between 95 vs. 96-99 M3's to spare us all from this redundant debate time and time again. Thats my .02.

-Aaron
    Ditto.
    1995 M3 Custom Turbo, Turbonetics T66 BB,72lb injectors, Sias Tuning PnP Tec 3, IBM T30,PLX M250 wideband O2 sensor,Blitz SBC-iD Built low CR 8.5:1 motor CP Pistons,ARP head & main studs,Metric Mechanic HP Valve springs,walbro 255hp,BMP FPR,Modified fuel rail # 6 SS feed line,3in ss custom magnaflow exhaust,Lower level turbo intake,AA six puck disc, Spec Stage IV PP ,AA differential bracket,AA strut tower brace,UUC UD Pullies,UUC short shifter,UUC tranny mounts,UUC clutch stop,Fluidyne HP radiator.M3 LTW wheels Est..1001 rwhp!

Http://members.cardomain.com/bassmasterM3
    (DIY custom turbo)

My Cars
    2010 335d
    while not directly related, I would avoid the luxury package.

The lux seats are a lot softer and are heavier than the vaders, and don't offer the same lateral support. I also don't care for the wood trim, and I like the front lower lip spoiler.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast