Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big brake kits for out E36 m's... Something I don't know?

My Cars
    96 M3

Big brake kits for our E36 m's... Something I don't know?

WTF... Am I really going to have to pay $4500+ for a nice BBK? Is there extreme mark-up on these kits or what?

Does anyone know of a good vendor/source to get a decent BBK that looks hot along with increased performance without buying half a turbo kit....?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    they are expensive. check stoptech. i wouldn't recommend a BBK unless you are doing some serious track time.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    There are BBK deals all over the boards as a rule.

I agree with Timsev, just paint the calipers if you aren't a serious tracker.

My Cars
    M3-T,G63,S63,Huracan-Evo
    I just got the UUC 14 in front and 12.9 in the rear and it was worth every penny i think. So you do get your moneys worth i would say.

My Cars
    96 M3
    Why is that? I don't use the full potential of my car everyday, why must I with brakes?

Anyhow. I would like a larger sized rotor with a nice caliper. Apparently this is largely for aesthetics. Not only that, I still feel the braking is inadequate for daily use. Just the other day I had to slam on the brakes because of a soccer mom and I just didn't feel confident about my stopping distance.

Besides all that, I do plan to see some track time soon.

Good idea on checking the boards for random deals going 'round, that's obvious. Thank you though.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you, I'll check out UUC.

My Cars
    C63 AMG 507 Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by barcode607
    Not only that, I still feel the braking is inadequate for daily use. Just the other day I had to slam on the brakes because of a soccer mom and I just didn't feel confident about my stopping distance.

Any more suggestions?

I dont think you'll see a greatly reduced stopping distance with a BBK. The main difference comes from stop and go when your brakes heat up, and your stopping distance increases each time you brake hard. Thats where the BBK comes in handy. And most will tell you its a waste of money without frequent track use. But its your money, if I had extra cash laying around I'd probably do it too.

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by barcode607
    Why is that? I don't use the full potential of my car everyday, why must I with brakes?

Anyhow. I would like a larger sized rotor with a nice caliper. Apparently this is largely for aesthetics. Not only that, I still feel the braking is inadequate for daily use. Just the other day I had to slam on the brakes because of a soccer mom and I just didn't feel confident about my stopping distance.

Besides all that, I do plan to see some track time soon.

Good idea on checking the boards for random deals going 'round, that's obvious. Thank you though.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you, I'll check out UUC.
    Spending all that cash for a BBK wont decrease your stoppping distance by one inch. Your stopping distance will change by getting stickier or wider tires, lightening your car, changing where the weight is distributed or improving your own technique etc. No matter how big your rotors are or how pretty the caliper is, wont change a thing about braking besides reducing brake fade if thats an issue for you (which it shouldnt be on the street). Getting good pads and perhaps ducting is more than enough than 90% of track driven cars need, and is more than what 100% of street cars need.
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    96 M3
    Okay. I understand. It's a heat/brake fade issue?

They look so purdy, I wish they performed as well as they look. I'll re-think this over, but my '96 calipers look like sh!t.

Thank again for the responses.

My Cars
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    If the calipers look like sh!it, clean them w/ a wire brush and clean them off w/ some brake clean. Add some nice euro floating rotors and you'll be set. Euro floaters have an aluminum hat so they wont rust after a wash. Thats what Im gonna do when I take off my 14" AP Racing bbk.

My Cars
    96 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GotBHP?
    Spending all that cash for a BBK wont decrease your stoppping distance by one inch. Your stopping distance will change by getting stickier or wider tires, lightening your car, changing where the weight is distributed or improving your own technique etc. No matter how big your rotors are or how pretty the caliper is, wont change a thing about braking besides reducing brake fade if thats an issue for you (which it shouldnt be on the street). Getting good pads and perhaps ducting is more than enough than 90% of track driven cars need, and is more than what 100% of street cars need.

Nice. So take a look at everything else that would affect braking? Instead of upgrading the actual brake set-up itself upgrade my skill along with additional cooling.

My Cars
    96 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m3ltw98
    If the calipers look like sh!it, clean them w/ a wire brush and clean them off w/ some brake clean. Add some nice euro floating rotors and you'll be set. Euro floaters have an aluminum hat so they wont rust after a wash. Thats what Im gonna do when I take off my 14" AP Racing bbk.
    More info on these euro floaters please. Share the knowledge

My Cars
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    They came standard on all euro M3s. The hat of the rotor is held on to the rotor by pins which can expand and contract and take heat better. There the same size and thickness of the stock US rotors but consist of aluminum hats which look much better. www.turnermotorsport.com carries them but there too expensive. Call up Pacific BMW and they'll have them for 109/each

My Cars
    96 M3
    Wow. I'll take those into consideration.

Which type of pads would be a choice match?

My Cars
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    Axxis Ultimates are great for the street. Pretty much like stock pads but with a lot less dust. And there pretty cheap. Another choice is Hawk HPS pads but there pretty pricey

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by m3ltw98
    Is your AP kit the 4 piston or 6 piston? For all my talk about how bbks arent nessesary, I would be interested in a used kit if it was the 4 piston set-up .
    -Peter

Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    There the 6 piston setup

My Cars
    E36 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by GotBHP?
    So with all else being equal including brake pad compound, brake bias etc. I was lead to believe a larger 4 or 6 piston caliper (larger surface area brake pad) vs. stock would help in stopping distance as long as the tires can handle it.

My Cars
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    On the street, your not gonna notice any difference with street tires. On the track with full slicks you will. My brother runs AP Racing 6piston brakes on his race car and brakes super late. The biggest advantage of bbks is there ability to dissipate heat quickly and effectively.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    on a street car the tires are always going to be the limiting factor in brake systems.

My Cars
    BMWs
    WTF kind of cars have you driven? The E36 M3 stops from 60-0 in like 115ft.
    /thread

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro77
    So with all else being equal including brake pad compound, brake bias etc. I was lead to believe a larger 4 or 6 piston caliper (larger surface area brake pad) vs. stock would help in stopping distance as long as the tires can handle it.

Depends on the tires. My car on 255/40 RA-1's still has no trouble locking up the front tires from 120+ mph-ish...not that its the right way to do things, but it sill can. Show me a street tire that can handel that much force and overpower the brakeing torque of the stock system and I might just go and buy a set or 2.

Fully heated up racing slicks would be a different story completely, but the thread starter has never been to a track, so I dont think that applies.
    -Peter

My Cars
    Lots.
    There is a cheaper option for BBKs for the e36. They arent as large or track-oriented (I say this because no one really runs them on the track that I have seen) but the www.ecisbmw.com Porsche BBK is pretty sweet.

I have it and I really like it both for bling and it feels good on the street.

It utilizes Boxster S calipers front and rear (Brembo) with euro e46 m3 floating rotors in the front and 740i rear rotors. (I have a customized 750il rear rotor but i dont think that it makes a big difference aside from that its cross-drilled which adds some bling)

The fronts alone are $1650 and with the rear are $2850.

The kit is most closely associated with a Brembo 332mm kit.

-Richard
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    No Car
    stock brake system is already major overkill as is, you do not need a big brake kit. if you get Performance friction carbon mettalic pads and stainless steel brake lines with super blue fluid, thats ALL the braking you will ever need unless you are pushing 450+HP then maybe an upgrade is necessary, other than that its totally not.

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaBimma
    stock brake system is already major overkill as is, you do not need a big brake kit. if you get Performance friction carbon mettalic pads and stainless steel brake lines with super blue fluid, thats ALL the braking you will ever need unless you are pushing 450+HP then maybe an upgrade is necessary, other than that its totally not.
    If hes going to track the car then I suggest race (or track, whatever you want to call them) pads. Street pads arent really adequate once you get going up to speed consistantly on 20-30 minute sessions. I have boiled ATE Superblue fluid before, so its a good idea to swap pads before you go to the track.
    -Peter

My Cars
    No Car
    thats why i said performance friction carbon mettalics. they have ZERO brake fade, the hotter they get the better they brake, they are more of a track pad than a street pad. all those other pads out there are junk and just a huge ripoff. Bondurant racing school ONLY uses performance friction's carbon mettalics on their race cars and formula fords.... that says something when the best racing school in country uses them exclusively.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast