Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Intake

My Cars
    None right now

Best Intake

I can't decide on which intake to buy. Originally I was planning on buying Dinan, but it's too expensive. My next choice was AA but then I discovered Benfer and Cosmos. What do you think would be best for a 328i?

I searched for this and I didn't find anything comparing these brands.

My Cars
    96 328i
    I was looking at intakes for my 328i for a while. Search this forum, and you'll find way more information than you need to know.

But, I've decided not to get an intake. Any intake will decrease (slightly) your mid-range torque, although you will gain HP at high revs. For me, I decided to stick with the torque of the m52, because I love it.

My Cars
    BART
    Cosmos if you're on a budget. I have one coming in this week and can't wait.

My Cars
    96 328i
    General consensus on intakes though is that the Cosmos is the best value, and it's essentially the same design as the Dinan and all the other Dinan look-alikes.
    Last edited by jackcass; 03-18-2005 at 08:09 AM.

My Cars
    None right now
    Quote Originally Posted by jackcass
    I was looking at intakes for my 328i for a while. Search this forum, and you'll find way more information than you need to know.

But, I've decided not to get an intake. Any intake will decrease (slightly) your mid-range torque, although you will gain HP at high revs. For me, I decided to stick with the torque of the m52, because I love it.
    Damn, is that true? I thought it improved torque/horsepower at all ranges. Each time I decide to get a mod I always hear something bad about it. M3 exhaust is too heavy so it reduces torque, and now this.

I'll look into Cosmos then.

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    i'm another happy cosmos intake customer. bmw4d6c328i, i completely understand the feeling about trying to balance the pros and cons of mods. An intake is pretty much proven to increase performance, even if it is true that it does reduce the amount of mid-range torque, it is probably so slight that you couldn't even tell with the butt-o-meter. Same thing with the M3 muffler, the added weight is really not going to lose you too much torque. I think the key problem with the added weight of the M3 muffler is the stress it causes on the muffler mounts....

if you added both and lost what a total of 1-2 ft-lbs of torque wouldn't that be worth it in return for the sweet sounds your car will now be making at WOT? (not to mention the gained higher-end power)
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    None right now
    Quote Originally Posted by beatniks325
    i'm another happy cosmos intake customer. bmw4d6c328i, i completely understand the feeling about trying to balance the pros and cons of mods. An intake is pretty much proven to increase performance, even if it is true that it does reduce the amount of mid-range torque, it is probably so slight that you couldn't even tell with the butt-o-meter. Same thing with the M3 muffler, the added weight is really not going to lose you too much torque. I think the key problem with the added weight of the M3 muffler is the stress it causes on the muffler mounts....

if you added both and lost what a total of 1-2 ft-lbs of torque wouldn't that be worth it in return for the sweet sounds your car will now be making at WOT? (not to mention the gained higher-end power)
    Hey thanks for the reply you have good points to consider. At WOT I'd like to hear a nice aggressive sound instead of my fan I think once I get an intake I will also try to help it with a chip and full exhaust system.

My Cars
    98' 328i, 91 318is
    I smell a cosmos group buy... can we set one up?

My Cars
    98' 328i, 91 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw4d6c328i
    Do we get a better price or something? If so I'm up for it.
    No you pay more. Twice as much actually. Plus group buy tax.

My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamin'
    Yeah but shipping is HALF PRICE

My Cars
    E53 X5, E36 328i
    I've had several other intakes and I'm using a Cosmos Racing one right now. Just as good if not better then my previous ones and by far the cheapest. I really don't think you can beat it unless you want the bling CF ones or something but I can't really see the increase in price making it worth it. PM Jerry (CosmosM3) on the board and you get it for like $122 plus $12 shipping I think. Check it out.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamin'

My Cars
    None right now
    Cosmos sounds like a good deal then I'll check it out. I hope I'll feel a noticeable acceleration difference.

Sorry to bring up 1/4 times but my best time was 15.8. What do you think it'd bring it down to?
    Last edited by rsagona1; 10-24-2004 at 08:26 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Beamin', I like how in your signature the only Pride flag that does not work is the polish one. haha, is that on purpose??

My Cars
    98' 328i, 91 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by baigeman
    Beamin', I like how in your signature the only Pride flag that does not work is the polish one. haha, is that on purpose??
    How many polish people does it take to get enough bandwidth? I don't know, their site won't load...

My Cars
    96 328IS, CBR600 F3, 85 GS700 Cafe Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw4d6c328i
    Damn, is that true? I thought it improved torque/horsepower at all ranges. Each time I decide to get a mod I always hear something bad about it. M3 exhaust is too heavy so it reduces torque, and now this.

I'll look into Cosmos then.
    I added the cosmo intake a couple of weeks ago, put a big smile on my face @ WOT and the mid-low torque lose was minimal (I didn't notice it)

This weekend I did the fan delete mod/under-drive pulleys..... and now I HUGE smile on face. If your worried about torque loss due to CAI, the fan delete and/or the underdrive pulley will MORE than make up any loss between 2k- ~4k.

Most mods for our cars will increase top end at the expense (somewhat) of mid-range. Trust me, the pulleys and Fan-mod will make that all a distant memory.

Good luck

My Cars
    Boring E36
    If you are ever living in California ECIS or Dinan... AA is ECIS basically just with a Carb cert sticker. If you got the cash and want one for the best sound I say GruppeM. I have the ECIS since it was cheap and it came with the Carb sticker.
    U MAD?

My Cars
    400hp 328
    screw expensive intake, get m50, best mod ive done yet, way more pull up top and almost all my torque down low cam back when i got my remap done...
    silver328I, ARP studs, copper gasket,stock injectors!! adabted bbk F-reg current 66psi (rich and intermitten sticking open,over injector tolerance), bbk 255lph adapted inline f-pump,dual 2 1/2" track pipe, 02 simulators, alum.Plasma Direct coils, ngk single electrode plugs at .0045,acshnitvizzle manifold (m50 grenaded @t-body mate),fan delete, ASC delete ,CDV delete,UCC underdrive crank pulley, removed A/C components, weight reduced, 3.38LSD , 75c degree stat,18x8.5 ADR M-Sports,m3 mouldings, euro tails, clear sides/corners,cusom coilovers, broken subframe, "Lejune aluminum/alloy cam chain, 97'm3 cams", 8mm overbored throtle body, t-body coolant bypass, alum f-wheel, m5 clutch goodbye,reverted obd2 management, nitrous express no more!!! used vortec s-trim,2.50" pulley, 17psi @ 6900rpm, 94' sc t-bird intercooler (small but resiliant) self engineered 3" t6 mandrel bent intake routing, estimated 430hp octane/air density permiting, under $1400 completed!!

My Cars
    E30 Vert | E39 530
    I have a dinan intake and I love it, Love the sound, and love the sound (thats about all intake does right?) but dinan IS expensive.
    I love that these smilies haven't changed in ten years.

My Cars
    '97 328is
    i was looking at the conforti setup, im contemplating the conforti or cosmos..

My Cars
    1999 m3 and 740iL
    Lets take Cosmos out of the equation for awhile, then what would be the best intake? Everyone says cosmos but I think that has to do with because its so cheap. Im too worried about sucking up water, so whats the best intake I can get that doesnt fit down near the foglight. I like the gruppeM and the replicas of it, but my only concern is that it seems to fit right up against the headlight, so there cant be that much air getting to it. Comments, suggestions?

My Cars
    S54 and S62
    I like the (older) BFP I got in a box with the car from the previous owner.

I installed it while having US headlights and was worried if Euro lights would fit (I read many people have to reconsider their CAI install because of this). But no, no problem, it fitted perfectly to the last millimeter !

I love it.
    Current:
    Alpine White E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver E39 540i Touring M-Sport S62 6MT

Past:
    Alpine White E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Interlagos Blue E85 Z4 M Roadster 6MT
    Le Mans Blue E92 M3 6MT
    Japan Red E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Estoril Blue Individual E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    Alpine White E92 M3 6MT
    Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
    Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Jet Black E36 325is S52 5MT
    Lagoon Green E36 325is 5MT

My Cars
    01 dinan 7 sport, 83 733
    i will never understand the reason for all the uncertainty in buying an intake. there are really only 2 types that you are asking about. a short ram with some kind of heat shield and the full cold air intake like dinan/cosmos. right now i have a dinan because i got it for free. i had a cosmos and its the same damn thing. I bought an ecis intake off here and only noticed a difference in sound. nothing else. i like the dinan/cosmos sound better. just make up your mind on what sound you want and if you want to get ripped off. benfer or dinan? jeez, if you like being robbed, then go for it. if not, get the cosmos.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Thanks for the firm answer Negative camber. We need more answers like this that just say look here it is black and white.

My Cars
    '97 328is
    basically just get the best looking one..lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast