Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Check your OIL PUMP NUT!

My Cars
    M3

Check your OIL PUMP NUT!

Note: I already posted this in the stickied thread at the top of this forum, but I thought I would share my experience for those who haven't encountered this problem. For more information, check the thread stickied at the top of the forum including full DIY write-up.

WTF!? Okay guys, get this. My buddy and I have been planning to do the oil pump nut for 2 months now, and we finally got around to it yesterday. We decided to sacrifice my car as the guinea pig since he is still having a full cage built. Anyways, his cage builder offered us accessibility to his lift, which we were very thankful for.

For some reason we both forgot about the engine hoist, so Alex's (aweather)'s cage builder fabricated an engine hoist for us in about an hour. It was amazing, it followed the same design as all the other ones we have seen, so we deemed it to be structurally sound. Well, after lunch we start on the oil pump nut, we wanted to print the directions provided by Chad, but Alex's printer wasn't working so we summarized the steps and wrote them down. We figured that and the Bentley would suffice.

Everything was very simple, removing underpanel, swaybar, x-brace, dipstick, power steering, etc. Then we got to the oil pan and for some reason didn't unscrew the control arms from the body which you should DEFINITELY do to save time, we were able to squeeze the oil pan out nonetheless, but on the re-installation we took them off which made life much easier.

So the moment we were all waiting for, we pull off the oil pan and THE NUT WASN'T EVEN ON! We searched the entire oil pan and it wasn't to be found, but we did find one of the four screws used to hold the sproket in place. The arrow is pointing to the screw that had backed itself off, not including the oil pump nut. (This is not my OIL pump, just a picture from another thread)

Steve, Alex's fabricator suggested the oil pick up might have sucked it up, sure enough there was the nut, in the oil pickup. Another trip and I could have lost my engine, what a relief. We tack welded the nut in two spots, changed the motor mounts, refilled the oil and power steering fluid and called it a day.

What a relief. CHECK YOUR NUT!!!!
    PS. My car is a 95 M3 with 74000 miles and URI crank pulley, to date, I have spun out twice, only once did I not get he clutch in.
    Last edited by slcook54; 10-24-2004 at 02:22 PM.
    Steve

My Cars
    95 M3
    You are making me paranoid. I have neither the resources nor time to do this.

My Cars
    M3
    The lift really did make life easy, but without one, you could easily do it in 6-8 hours.
    Steve

My Cars
    Holy crap. I bet you had a little freak out eh? Makes me wonder how mine is doing in there. I dont have the access to a lift until the spring so I'm trying to wait.

My Cars
    M3
    Yeah, I was freaked, but more relieved, one more week and I would have been toast. Funny thing was I was contemplating doing the auto-x or the oil pump nut, looks like I made the right decision.
    Steve

My Cars
    Had a 1999 M3
    does this affect all years all engines?

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Hmmm. I have 108k miles on the motor already. Figure I'll just wait for it to cook itself. If the nut was off, the motor would've lunched itself long ago.

How many miles are on your car?
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    07 X5, 02 325iT
    Does the oil pump issue also affect the M50B25? Just curious, nice to have my little tank of an M20

BMW CCA Member #480924

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlimits?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte
    Hmmm. I have 108k miles on the motor already. Figure I'll just wait for it to cook itself. If the nut was off, the motor would've lunched itself long ago.

How many miles are on your car?
    74K miles and change. There is no guarantee you will avoid damage when it does pop off, even if you turn the car off immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by EThirD
    Does the oil pump issue also affect the M50B25? Just curious, nice to have my little tank of an M20
    Not sure about M20 motors.
    Steve

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlimits?
    Yes. Even the euro motors. They all have a similar oil pump setup. Check yours now!!

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chongus
    You are making me paranoid. I have neither the resources nor time to do this.

Seriously, me too.
    Dinan supercharged

My Cars
    E46
    hmm, i wonder if the crank pulley has anything to do with this...

Wheels in Sig are SSR GT3's 19" E46 M3 fitment. Dinan E46 M3 Suspension. Pic thanks to Kyle K.

My Cars
    No car at the moment
    doubt it

My Cars
    M3
    Some said it does, no direct evidence, but just thought I would list that anyways.
    Steve

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Hard for me to fathom how a left handed threaded nut can back off with a clockwise rotation.
    So when spinning the car, there is a counter torque when the engine shuts down?

My Cars
    95 M3
    I hate reading these threads . I dont have a hoist and im really lazy. Well I guess when I have the broken car i'll wish i did it

My Cars
    Anti-hero: we need to organize a northeast oil pump nut day. Thats the only thing that will get me to do it.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    This happened to my friends car this month with a 97 m3. He was driving on the freeway when his oil light came on. Within 10 seconds, his engine shut down and would not start. He is now without a car.

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JClark
    Anti-hero: we need to organize a northeast oil pump nut day. Thats the only thing that will get me to do it.
    Jesse, on the first time, without a lift, you'll probably need a full day for one car, about 8 hours give or take on your work methods. Second time around though, everything will go much faster, I'm sure.
    Steve

My Cars
    B5.5 Passat Wagon
    When you welded the nut on did you clean off the oil first? Once when I did it I cleaned it up nicely (with brake/parts cleaner) to prepare for the weld then welded it and there was a nice flash fire. I've been thinking what else could be done besides cleaning off the oil with flammable fluids.

My Cars
    E36 M3 + 2010 XT
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr
    Hard for me to fathom how a left handed threaded nut can back off with a clockwise rotation.
    So when spinning the car, there is a counter torque when the engine shuts down?
    yeah, the road

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Mine is locktited and the threads centerpunched...knowing that it's secure is a great relief...
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by hammdy
    When you welded the nut on did you clean off the oil first? Once when I did it I cleaned it up nicely (with brake/parts cleaner) to prepare for the weld then welded it and there was a nice flash fire. I've been thinking what else could be done besides cleaning off the oil with flammable fluids.
    Yeah, we cleaned it up nice however the whatever it is coated with, zinc, I'm assuming didn't make for the cleanest welds, however, still much cleaner than the picture above.
    Steve

My Cars
    96 M3, 97 M3, 2008 MiniCooper S
    I know what the next project for my car is.

Thanks for the post

Ken

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    i cant beleive this was never recalled

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast