Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you lowered your car yourself?

My Cars
    98 Avus 318i, 95 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2l 4x4

Have you lowered your car yourself?

Hi all, Im thinking about getting springs/struts soon. My question is has anyone actually installed them themselves? or does everyone get it done by the dealer? Ive done it on other cars before and it wasn't to difficult. But on hear everyone is always talking about labor costs... Why do you have it done for you? It is that difficult to install suspension on a BMW? what would I need besides basic tools and a coil spring compressor?

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    People on here have it done by professionals b/c they have nothing better to do with their money.

It's extremely simple to do it yourself, and it's also rewarding b/c you learn more about how your car works. It will probably take you 3-4 hours your first time. I can do it in two now having done it 3 times.

My Cars
    98' 328i, 91 318is
    Get an air compressor and air tools! We did mine in 3 hours with 2 people. If you have a lift the back takes about 15 min to do the springs. The front is more involved. Make sure to get a little spring compressor. Ours was too big and got stuck in the lowering springs.

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    I did my own. First time ever for shocks, struts and springs. It was an all day job. I did it by myself on jackstands in my garage with only hand tools. I had to make one trip for tools. Knowing the tricks now and I am sure I could do it in about 4-5 hours. A hoist, air tools or a helper will speed things up. It is a fun project and quite rewarding to perform the complex of an upgrade on your own.

My Cars
    '93 325is
    i am currently in the process right now. it is pretty straight forward and even though air tools will help a lot you dont need them. the hardest part is getting the front strut off, the bolts are torqued down quite a bit. a spring compressor is very nessesary along with a breaker bar and torque wrench.

My Cars
    95 Alpine 318i
    I'm planning on doing my suspension over the winter. I have access to air compressor, stands, and spring compressor. My question is if I get the H&R cup kit, is that all I need? For example, do I have to replace the bushings and other what nots?

My Cars
    Thx for all the replys guys I figured it was pretty straight forward. As far as an air compressor goes.. Im sure I wont need one as I work On Heavy Equipment Ive had to break 500ftlb lugs on a 5-ton because our airguns couldn't do it:p

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    les schwab will install springs in struts for like $25. i did all the work my self and had them remove and install the front springs on the front struts.

best $25 i spent.

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    I installed my FK highsport coilovers a couple of weeks ago in one afternoon. Each front side took around an hour and the rears took about 30 min each. I used air tools but didn't have a lift. The only problems I had were getting the stock springs compressed on the front, because the spring compressor that I rented wasn't quite up to par.
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    99 740i Sport
    I did the whole job myself. Bilstein sport shocks/struts with H&R Sport springs. A great setup. If you've got a friend helping and a couple DIY write-ups, a Bentley manual, and all the proper tools with an air compressor, it should take about 4-5 hours.

Poke
    1999 BMW 740i Sport Black/Tan

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by Radicus
    what would I need besides basic tools and a coil spring compressor?
    OK, also don't forget new rear shock mounts and front strut bearings. You can get new spring cushions and bump stops for the shock shafts. If you really want to make it a project you could do the rear control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings and sway bar end links since you are there and unbolting some of them anyway.

My Cars
    Boring E36
    I did mine myself... all by my self...
    U MAD?

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeBMW
    I'm planning on doing my suspension over the winter. I have access to air compressor, stands, and spring compressor. My question is if I get the H&R cup kit, is that all I need? For example, do I have to replace the bushings and other what nots?
    I have heard bad things abou this cup kit....might want to do a search on it. I can't comment never seen it either way but its worth a search.

My Cars
    325izzle
    bad things?

Ive heard good things about it. That cup kit is frequently mentioned on bfc..in a good way...

My Cars
    90 325i, 94 honda del sol, 99 CRV
    Hi all, Im thinking about getting springs/struts soon. My question is has anyone actually installed them themselves? or does everyone get it done by the dealer? Ive done it on other cars before and it wasn't to difficult. But on hear everyone is always talking about labor costs... Why do you have it done for you? It is that difficult to install suspension on a BMW? what would I need besides basic tools and a coil spring compressor?

If you have socket set, a jack, and a couple of free hours during a sunday...

... just get it done on your own and brag to your wife that you saved some money.

My Cars
    Boring E36
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjover
    If you have socket set, a jack, and a couple of free hours during a sunday...
    ... just get it done on your own and brag to your wife that you saved some money.

You need more than just an ordinary socket set... You need an impactwrench to get all of the locktied bolts off.
    U MAD?

My Cars
    My wife will just bitch me out for staying in the garage all day either way I lose.

My Cars
    NG SAAB 9-5
    I did mine this weekend myself for the first time, took under 4 hours. I did the rears Friday night in front of my house on a narrow street (45min) you just have to pry them out from the bottom. I went to Autozone Saturday morning & did the fronts. I rented a brand new spring compressor for $40 then got back all of my money when finished. They even let me do it in their parking lot & lent me a deep socket & vice grip when I needed it.

The only problem is I found out my right strut is completely blown & the left one is soon to go, but I put the springs on anyway & the ride is incredible even with the blown strut! I figure it'll take 2hrs to do the front stuts when I get them.

It's a tuck!! The Eibach Pro kit rules! It was used for like 4 years, I got it for $75 shipped & the car is slammed with tuck in the front & back, just like in my sig

I say go for it.

My Cars
    MTA
    Quote Originally Posted by LWRNCE
    You need more than just an ordinary socket set... You need an impactwrench to get all of the locktied bolts off.
    HA! Impact wrenches are for sissys......Seriously though you dont need an impact wrench. Sure it makes the whole process take alot less time but in the end all you need is a good breaker bar. I did mine with jack stands and a socket set and it took me one full day.
    This space available. All inquires please contact 1(800)-626-5683.

My Cars
    NG SAAB 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by dz223
    HA! Impact wrenches are for sissys......Seriously though you dont need an impact wrench. Sure it makes the whole process take alot less time but in the end all you need is a good breaker bar. I did mine with jack stands and a socket set and it took me one full day.
    I did mine with jack stands & an ordinary socket set, squeezed the strut assembly with my legs once out of the car & sheer man-power broke the nut. I didn't have a breaker bar. Took me 3hrs for both fronts (first time). The key is to compress the spring enough to relieve some of the tension on the strut bearing, then it should be a snap.

My Cars
    Boring E36
    with the impact wrench the whole suspension took about 2hrs to do.
    U MAD?

My Cars
    93 325is
    did mine myself aswell...took about 2 1/2 hours to replace the shocks and struts all around. just a note if you havent already got the rsm reinforced, this would be a great time to do it while your already workin on the suspension. just trying to save you time.
    UUC|AC Schnitzer|AA|Ecis|Ground Control|Koni|H&R|Rieger|BMW Motorsport|Hamann|Pirelli

My Cars
    Bernmobile

My Cars
    Bigbris1, how many miles are on your car? I just want to compare to my car, because your shock was blown..

and That looks really low... I thought the sportlines were supposed to be lower than the pro-lines.

My Cars
    '01 M5,'95 325is,'82 320
    Bigbris1, how many miles are on your car? I just want to compare to my car, because your shock was blown..

and That looks really low... I thought the sportlines were supposed to be lower than the pro-lines.
    Not his car.

E36 shocks and struts generally last from 60-90k miles. Its never a good idea to add lowering springs to a tired damper. Do it right the first time, and be done with it.

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast