Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dyno Was Done at Car Show - 12PSI Shut Down Dynapak

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe

Dyno Was Done at Car Show - 12PSI Shut Down Dynapak

There was a VW, AUDI, BMW car show in Los Alamitos yesterday (LA area) that my tuner & I had to get ready for. http://www.dubfestusa.com/body_new.htm
    I woke up at 5:30am to the sound of pouring rain. Sweet! My car just got detailed on Friday & now this. My tuner (Chris) showed up just after 6am with his Suburban & trailer.

I had prepaid for showing the car & getting some runs on the dyno. I had no clue what dyno they were going to be using at the show. When I saw the Dynapak dyno I was both excited & nervous. I was excited due to the fact that it is a chassis dyno so there is no worry about tire slippage of course. I was nervous though since this dyno loads the car more than any other type of dyno which = dyno that likes to blow up motors. Know what I mean?

The show was going well. The best part was meeting some of the other Eurowerkz guys in person. CJ & everyone...they were all super nice guys. Of course Jensen & Eric from www.importxdream.com are always cool cats & it was sick to see everyone's cars in person finally! Thanks to Eric I have a beautiful carbon fiber front strut bar that I haven't seen any other person install yet on their bimmer. Except of course for Eric. I also met some other cool guys at the show. One that is on these forums quite a bit.

After a long morning & then the judging of the car...it was time for the dyno. My tuner Chris was nervous wondering if the dyno operator really knew what he was doing, but he had been dynoing cars all day long by himself without any problems other than clutch slipping. My car was bolted up & there was a crowd of about 50 around the car. I was so nervous with the first run at 12PSI. I didn't know if it would make less power than before...whether the chassis dyno would load the engine so much it would blow or what.

He started the run but it ended quickly. People were kinda cheering and ahhhing because of the crazy whistle sound the turbo makes. I was worried. I looked at the dyno operator & asked, "What happened?"

He started laughing & said, "Your car just shut my dyno down! And it did it at 4500 rpm. My dyno has a max of 500 rwtq."

It was crazy. I couldn't even make a run. People were sorta tripping when they heard it shut down & at only 12PSI. So I decided to turn the boost down to a peak of 9PSI to try & get a dyno sheet atleast. 9PSI spit out 416rwhp & 459rwtq.

Now, look at the graph & see the hp drop & come back up. The hp still had a ways to go there for sure! Lots of people thought that was from spinning the tires before when i posted the Mustang sheets. This is a chassis dyno so wheelspin is out of the question. I might have had less valve float since I changed the oil to 5/30 Mobil 1 from 15/50 Mobil 1. A much thinner oil which might have helped due to less oil pressure in the cylinder head. But now there is proof that it's not the clutch & not spinning the tires. It is something to do with the head.

After the dyno runs I was so excited! They were passing out the trophies during the dyno runs so I ran over there to see if the BMW winners had been called out. I missed it but I gave the guy my ID asking him if I won anything with my BMW. The judges pointed at me & said I won first place. So I got this big trophy to top it off after shutting down the dyno. I was pretty happy you could say. It was a good day!

P.S. It was all caught on tape! Eric & his friends from www.importxdream.com had the sick Sony triple chip cameras rolling the entire time. I am not sure if they filmed the tach, boost gauge, computer screen or what. I was too nervous to pay attention to them at the time. But the video should be ready tonight & I will post it!

416rwhp 459rwtq at 9PSI

We drove this thing 2 hours each way in the rain. What fun!

And there is my trophy & the new front strut bar. I'll get a better pick of the strut bar soon.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert
    Congrats Cameron on First place. Good Work Bro. This year has been a good year for the Team .

My Cars
    550i dads, 85' 528e
    congrats, you have a great car
    Kevin

Just say no to slow Ayrton Senna "The Best"

My Cars
    BMW/Acura/Fiat
    Enough bragging.
    Nice trophy
    Last edited by Max///M3; 10-18-2004 at 03:11 PM.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe/10 VW Jetta
    WTG man!! Chalk one up for the Bimmers shutting down the dyno machine!
    2000 Estoril Blau ///M Coupe (SOLD)
    -AA SC, UUC Stg 2 LWFW/e34 M5 Clutch, UUC Ultimate SSK, UUC RK3 Shift Knob, Magnaflow Custom Quad Exhaust, Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors, GC Coilovers, BHS RSMs, Motor Force Camber Plates, Toureg VW Torch Lamp, ProjectorZ w/ DDE, Randy Forbes Subframe Reinforcement Kit, IE Subframe Bushings, IE Camber/Toe Adjustment Kit, Rogue Diff Cover, Redline Fluids
    "I wasn't speeding, officer. I was qualifying."

My Cars
    G20
    What gear did he run the car in?

A dyno can't have a 500 wheel tq limit. Bc your car actually puts way more down than that. Your wheel tq = Actual torque/your gear ratio. I wonder how he came up with the 500 tq number? If anything he should have ran it in a higher gear to lower the actual torque.
    -Chris

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    '96 M3 Turbo, '04 Yamaha R6
    Congrats on the strophy and the power, and everything else. I'm just happy you can finally have a drivable car! *knock on wood!*

Can't wait to see the video... heheh

Boris
    '96 Cosmos Black M3 422rwhp/407rwtq SAE @ 13psi / 444rwhp/444rwtq SAE @ 14.5psi
    Engine/Drivetrain: Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo TT Turbo Exhaust, M50 Manifold, TMS Oil Baffles, SSR Comps, SPEC Stage II Clutch, UUC SSK, Titanium Cavallino Ti-130R Shift Knob, UUC TME, EMC Diff Bolt, RCCA's. Suspension: GC Coil-overs, GC RSMs, GC RTABs, GC Trans Mount; H&R SB. Instrumentation: VDO Boost, VDO Oil Press, VDO Oil Temp, VDO Water Temp, BMW Traffic Pro Navigation, Valentine One TODO: W/A Injection

My Cars
    M3
    Congrats on the trophy Cameron! Cant wait for the video!!

Porsche 996

1995 M3 turbo - GT35R , 55#inj , SPA manifold , AA tune SOLD

1993 325IS turbo - 502whp , SC67 , 55#inj
    RIP

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycs
    What gear did he run the car in?

A dyno can't have a 500 wheel tq limit. Bc your car actually puts way more down than that. Your wheel tq = Actual torque/your gear ratio. I wonder how he came up with the 500 tq number? If anything he should have ran it in a higher gear to lower the actual torque.
    Thanks for the support Scotty. The dyno operator thought 1:1 is 5th gear in my car since I have a 3.46 LSD. So he ran it in 5th gear. Happy now? He just guessed the 500rwtq but I don't know how many ft lbs that equates to or anything. He just said the max the dynapak can take that he used was 500rwtq.

Thanks guys! It has been said many times that Dynapak makes the lowest of all dyno numbers.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by ///3oris
    Congrats on the strophy and the power, and everything else. I'm just happy you can finally have a drivable car! *knock on wood!*

Can't wait to see the video... heheh

Boris
    Hey...sorry to hijack the thread but I have been trying to get through to your PM but it is full.....
    I have some new developments in the price of the diff....if you give me your email I can send the info on to you.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    G20
    I wasn't trying to be negative, just figure out why he couldn't do it. I did some reaserch and the dynopack can hold about 1500 ft lbs of tq. With a fifth gear of 1:1 and a 3:46, 1500/3.46 = 433. I thought the tq limit was much higher, that is why I asked.

Good numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3
    Thanks for the support Scotty. The dyno operator thought 1:1 is 5th gear in my car since I have a 3.46 LSD. So he ran it in 5th gear. Happy now? He just guessed the 500rwtq but I don't know how many ft lbs that equates to or anything. He just said the max the dynapak can take that he used was 500rwtq.

Thanks guys! It has been said many times that Dynapak makes the lowest of all dyno numbers.
    -Chris

My Cars
    BMW 325is Turbocharged - Jeep Cherokee 4.6L Stroke
    your Supra how mcuh put down at 9 PSI?
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

My Cars
    00 Blue M Roadster, 95 White M3
    Well, either his Dynapak is broken or he isn't competent(sp?;-)).

Dynapak's (the base model) will hold 1250ft/lbs. I'm guessing this joker didn't have the water lines hooked up and it couldn't handle the friction of running all day like that.

I have personally run my car without the water on and hit well over 400ft/lbs with NO issue, but that was only 5-6 runs before I turned the water on.

Also, he could have been running the "little" paks on the rear instead of the full size paks as they are different sizes.

Congrads either way!
    Shawn

00 Roadster is on HOLD & collecting dust

95 M3 Better drop 650WHP+
    CP Forged Pistons
    Monza Titanium Rods
    87mm Bore, Stock 3.2 Stroke
    11mm ARP Head Studs
    2nd MLS Gasket
    GT35R

My Cars
    05 500 hp duramax , Turbo 55 Chevy ,03 Turbo Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnsM

Dynapak's (the base model) will hold 1250ft/lbs. I'm guessing this joker didn't have the water lines hooked up and it couldn't handle the friction of running all day like that.

I have personally run my car without the water on and hit well over 400ft/lbs with NO issue, but that was only 5-6 runs before I turned the water on.

Also, he could have been running the "little" paks on the rear instead of the full size paks as they are different sizes.

Congrads either way!

1250 ft/lbs is a un corrected number , this is hub tq
    Turbos are the only substitute for cubic inches

Twin turbo LS2 1190 HP @22 PSI

My Cars

I might add to that statement and say that DynaPak is also one of the most accurate dyno's on the planet. If it show's lower numbers then it is correct in doing so. If you ever have the opertunity to spend some time on a Pak, you learn to love it. You can see the HP difference turning the lights on causes due to Alternator load for christs sake, I'd love to see a roller dyno do that.

Yea, I guess I'm biased because I run on a DynaPak exclusively. But it doesn't change the fact that it's dammed accurate. It's also a bitch to load cars on and off of

Also, 5th is a 1:1, however I have my car run in 4th as it's what "everyone" wants to compare too. I guess I could lay down some bigger numbers in 5th;-).
    Shawn

CP Forged Pistons
    Monza Titanium Rods
    11mm ARP Head Studs
    2nd MLS Gasket
    GT35R

My Cars
    G20
    Did you read my post. With him running in fifth at 1:1 and a 3.46 diff. That is a max torque reading of 361.27/lbs. (1250/3.46). The torque you are talking about is actual torque. When you see the graphs, that is actual torque divided by your gear ratio.

Congrads either way!
    You would put down smaller numbers from my experience

I guess I could lay down some bigger numbers in 5th;-).
    -Chris

My Cars
    Let me ask someone who is far more knowledgeable than I about this, Kevin at Knowledge owns and runs one.

I've seen plenty of cars hit over 600hp on it. I've seen mine exceed what is being implied here on plenty of runs.
    Shawn

CP Forged Pistons
    Monza Titanium Rods
    11mm ARP Head Studs
    2nd MLS Gasket
    GT35R

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycs
    I wasn't trying to be negative, just figure out why he couldn't do it. I did some reaserch and the dynopack can hold about 1500 ft lbs of tq. With a fifth gear of 1:1 and a 3:46, 1500/3.46 = 433. I thought the tq limit was much higher, that is why I asked.

Good numbers!
    Oh that's cool. Actually I just got an IM from my tuner & he said the dyno operator told him that Dynapak was registered at 1600 ft lbs of tq at the hub. You can get them at different levels. He said that he used one that handled 2200 before. He shut that one down though. LOL!

My Cars
    G20
    Here are the specs I found. http://www.dynapackusa.com/specs.htm
    Last edited by scottycs; 10-18-2004 at 04:25 PM.
    -Chris

My Cars
    Settle down Scotty . I understand what you said but wasn't going to try to corect you and be wrong LOL. There is a difference between Gear Multiplied Torque and Hub Torque.

The paks are sold in different configurations. They have 400, 800, and other torque ratings available depending on the need. If your car shut his dyno down and it wasn't overheating I'm guessing he is using a 400 Pak that Knowledge uses on the front paks, they use 800's on the rear I believe.

Either way, I'm not arguing just having a conversation.
    Shawn

CP Forged Pistons
    Monza Titanium Rods
    11mm ARP Head Studs
    2nd MLS Gasket
    GT35R

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Let me ask someone who is far more knowledgeable than I about this, Kevin at Knowledge owns and runs one.

I've seen plenty of cars hit over 600hp on it. I've seen mine exceed what is being implied here on plenty of runs.
    Did I offend you by posting this thread? Like I said, you can buy different rated Dynapaks. The one you use might be raited much higher. This one is rated at 1600 ft lbs of tq at the hub. Please act maturely on here.

My Cars
    Did I offend you by posting this thread? Like I said, you can buy different rated Dynapaks. The one you use might be raited much higher. This one is rated at 1600 ft lbs of tq at the hub. Please act maturely on here.

Not at all man, it's hard to read "inflected tone" on the internet . Your hearing me wrong, thats why I answered Scotty with the "I'm not arguing line".

It's all good. I like Scotty just were wondering why your car shut down the Dyno, me especially as I have a vested intrest in this particular Dyno.

Thanks, but I think I am acting maturely. I may have been misunderstood but I don't think I've been rude to you or anyone else. I wanted to ask Kevin since he owns one so that we ALL could have a proper, educated, answer, that was it.
    Shawn

CP Forged Pistons
    Monza Titanium Rods
    11mm ARP Head Studs
    2nd MLS Gasket
    GT35R

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Not at all man, it's hard to read "inflected tone" on the internet . Your hearing me wrong, thats why I answered Scotty with the "I'm not arguing line".

It's all good. I like Scotty just were wondering why your car shut down the Dyno, me especially as I have a vested intrest in this particular Dyno.

Thanks, but I think I am acting maturely. I may have been misunderstood but I don't think I've been rude to you or anyone else. I wanted to ask Kevin since he owns one so that we ALL could have a proper, educated, answer, that was it.

Oh ok then cool mang! No problem. Hey...if you think it really needs more power than that to shut the Dynapak down, then I guess I am underrating the car huh? Cause all I know is that the dyno ran fine & it was shut down. I will post the video of shutting it down & the 9PSI run as soon as www.importxdream.com gets them to me!

My Cars
    F-Pace | E55 Wagon
    Yuck!!!
    Disgusting car man!

Paint it dakar.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 525iT_Feen
    Yuck!!!
    Disgusting car man!

Paint it dakar.
    Very funny Olek!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast