Thread: 5th Gear Sticky Gone

My Cars
    '99 M3 Vert

5th Gear Sticky Gone

If you guys remember my first post, I wanted to have the tranny replaced because I thought that was the only possible fix for our transmissions...http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260486

Turns out we were all wrong. I took my car into Bob Smith BMW in Calabasas CA and they told me they could fix it. It did take them approximately 8 days to do it, but they did it!

They took out the tranny and performed a tranny fix with kit part#23-11-7-542-726. The description of the part is a bushing kit that costs, get this...only $4.00US. The SA informed me that the 5th gear bushing and the Reverse bushing were replaced, simply put the left and right. I now get in my car in the mornings and the tranny goes left right with such precision and no sticky, much like a new transmission would I presume. Even more, my reverse used to be rather notchy or at least a little hard to engage, thats totally gone. I'm very pleased actually that its the same transmission, i know where the tranny has been its whole life and that its not 'reconditioned'. The repair was covered under CPO and I only had to pay a deductible. The whole experience was rather painless and I can say I'm a happy camper.
    Last edited by ///MWorkin; 10-12-2004 at 08:24 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    so how much is the labor on this?

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    Hooptie
    How hard is it, we need more detales? =)

My Cars
    '99 M3 Vert
    Labor would be expensive, it was done under CPO, so I'm not sure, but I could surely find out if enough people wanted to know. However many hours to remove the necessary components to get to the tranny and the removal of the tranny itself. From here I'll go word for word from the SA 'remove the top of the tranny, so no need to drain the oil and just work on the bushings from the top.'

Info on the printout "VERIFY CUSTOMER COMPLAINT, CALL HOTLINE AND FOUND SIB 23 04 04 REMOVE EXHAUST AND DRIVE SHAFT, REMOVE TRANS, R&R 5TH AND REVERSE GEAR BUSHINGS AND SEAL, R&R TRANS, TEST DROVE VEHICLE NORMAL AT THIS TIME"

My Cars
    91 318i
    Anyone get any more info on this? Do you know how long it actually took them todo the fix or was most of the time spent waiting for the bushings?

My Cars
    '04 GT3, '04 Lexus GX470, '92 Toy 4x4 ("Pablo")
    Well, basically time to drop the tranny. I would imagine replacing the bushings would be rather quick and painless......I will do this on my next clutch job....a perfect time to replace the bushings! Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fliplap
    Anyone get any more info on this? Do you know how long it actually took them todo the fix or was most of the time spent waiting for the bushings?

1995 M3 (sold)
    1997 M3/4 (sold)
    2004 GT3
    2008 E90 M3 on order -- week 23 build -- DCT and 19's!

My Cars
    99M3
    Went through this same issue earlier this year. Had my tranny replaced under CPO at 40,000 miles.

BMW is NOT supposed to open up their trannys according to BMW NA - thats why they replaced so many rather than fixing them. If I were you I'd want a new tranny - not just a bushing.

My Cars
    91 318i
    Some of us aren't covered under the CPO warrenty and have to opt for a $4 bushing kit + labor over an entire new transmission + labor

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    IIRC, it was never said that the whole tranny had to be replaced, but that the process of fixing the problem made it as effective to replace the whole tranny than just fixing the part.

I think that some dealerships are resorting to fixing the problem now because (at least according to the dealership who replaced my tranny under CPO) dealers are having trouble finding trannies for our cars. Mine, technically, was refurbished and not new.

At least it's being covered, I couldn't imagine the bill otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    99 M3
    I didn't think the problem was due to the bushings. I'm glad that this worked out. I'm just waiting for the weather to get cooler so I can bring my car in as well.

My Cars
    97 M3 EURO
    my dealer said it probably because my UUC TME. they tried many excuses to refuse fix it.

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    >>BMW is NOT supposed to open up their trannys according to BMW NA - thats why they replaced so many rather than fixing them. ....<<

Exactly right. But that doesnt mean there arent some mechanics at some dealerships that are capable of doing it without screwing it up.

>>It did take them approximately 8 days to do it, but they did it! <<

Now, the way you worded that is kind of strange.. If it was only 8 days spent in waiting for the part, I dont think you woujld have said 'it took them 8 days to fix it'... On the other hand, 8 days at $100 per hour would cost over $6000 in labor... Which is probably more than the cost of a rebuilt tranny and its mounting.

>>my dealer said it probably because my UUC TME<<

Disgusting.. Dealers never cease to amaze me.. They must be so used to dealing with idiots relative to cars that theyve found almost Any crap they decide to tell the customer is ok... In the same vein, I rolled into my dealers lot a year and 1/2 ago or so, because I couldnt drive it any further, due to a clutch that was slipping so badly that it would go no further.. Incidentally, the installed this Sachs Sport clutch just over a year before... To make a long story short, the labor charge was so exhorbitant I dont dare quote it.. But I will quote this much.. when asked what the extra 2 hrs labor was for, the SA had the audacity to tell me, thats how long it took them to figure out why the newly installed clutch wasnt engaging properly.. The reason? I had a UUC Big Boy clutch stop, and the AA clutch I had given them to install has a low engagement point, and hence, yes, the Clutch Stop DID interfere with its operation... But my god... 2 hrs labor charge to figure this out and unscrew it from the floorboard?

Thats the last time ive been to a bmw dealer needless to say.
    Last edited by paul e; 10-27-2004 at 02:10 PM.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by snaker4
    my dealer said it probably because my UUC TME. they tried many excuses to refuse fix it.
    Man, is that absurd or what? lol

My Cars
    99 M3
    the problem with the stealership is that they only have a few master mechanics that know what the're doing. most of the people that work on the car don't have that much experience. I cringe every time I need to bring the car in to the stealership because I never know what idiot will be experimenting on my car.

My Cars
    99 M3
    the weather finally got cold enough for my shifter to start sticking in the 5th gate. Are there any other parts I should consider changing while I get the tranny replaced or fixed? Is bmw using remanufactured or refurbished tranny? The reason that I ask is that a remanufactured tranny is essentially brand new but a refurb will only have the broken parts fixed.

My Cars
    M3/4 SC;X5 4.4;
    Quote Originally Posted by paul e
    The reason? I had a UUC Big Boy clutch stop, and the AA clutch I had given them to install has a low engagement point, and hence, yes, the Clutch Stop DID interfere with its operation... But my god... 2 hrs labor charge to figure this out and unscrew it from the floorboard?

Hay, I had the exact same issue. But my dealer Knauz, did not charge an extra penny. They found it right away They chucked my clutch stop and they knew that they needed to use a different clutch fork (from some 5 series) for the AA clutch.

But theyre one of the biggest BMW dealers here and they do a lot of aftermarket support.....they did all my aftermarket stuff.

They do charge full $100+ /hr.
    97 M3/4
    ...420rwhp...Dinan SC
    Tuned by AA, M50 Manifold, RMS Aftercooler
    3.5 Porsche HFM, 42# injectors, Supersprint Exhaust
    AA Turbo Clutch, AA LTW Flywheel, TCK Suspension
    AA Strut bars (F&R), XBrace, BMP Rear Camber Correcting Arm
    BBS RK wheels on Pilot PS2, CF Hood

My Cars
    99M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw4life13
    the weather finally got cold enough for my shifter to start sticking in the 5th gate. Are there any other parts I should consider changing while I get the tranny replaced or fixed? Is bmw using remanufactured or refurbished tranny? The reason that I ask is that a remanufactured tranny is essentially brand new but a refurb will only have the broken parts fixed.
    Do a clutch kit while your at it if you have a decent amount of miles on it. My dealer only charged me for the parts since they had the tranny out.

My Cars
    99 M3
    how much should I expect to pay for a clutch?

My Cars
    99M3
    I think I paid around 400 or so for new clutch, throw-out bearing, etc... they may have charged me for 1 hour labor? I'll have to get the receipt out tonight when i get home to let you know exactly.

On another note - If you have thought of a LTW flywheel, tranny mounts, etc... now is the time to do it since everything is out and apart. The dealer here sells UUC stuff and was going to have no problem putting the LTW flywheel in my car - they just didnt have the damn thing in stock.