Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are M3 front BRAKES WORTH THE SWAP?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318is

Are M3 front BRAKES WORTH THE SWAP?

Is it worth do do the swap? Are they much bigger from the 318is? Thanks guys!

-Ben
    92 318is, ///M3 Front bumper, ///M3 Rims, MOMO Jet Steering wheel,MOMO Hub, UUS SSK Evo 3,Bavarian Autosport Springs with Bilstien Sport Shocks,Rogue Engineering Clutch stop, Eibach Front and Rear Sweay bars LOTS MORE TO COME! SOON TO COME SUPER CHARGER!

My Cars
    TSX
    there was a thread somewhere areound this e36 forum about e46 330 bbk swap....very good...direct blot on...about 600 bones i think

My Cars
    '91 Maxima, '04 330CI gone - 987S
    For that price... why not get a stage kit? Or something?

My Cars
    TSX
    how much are they? i think for the price it aint bad at all....

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    m brakes are worth it, u need the spindles + calipers and rotors.

good thing is that the spindles have some extra negative camber built in.

My Cars
    E46iT, MK6 TDi, Z31Chump
    Why the 330 setup over a BBK? answer: OE availability/pricing for parts. Not that a Stoptech kit isn't better, but its over 4 times the cost and you have to consider replacement discs and pads are much more expensive.

With the E46 stuff, the problem will be sourcing the used calipers/carriers since the 330 is harder to find at a recycler and the brakes have become a hot commodity. If you do find some, $600 would be closer to the cost of an entire swap....front 330 AND rear E46 32x with new discs/pads.

My Cars
    '04 M3, '95 318, '03 R6, RIP: '99 318TI, '01 M3

I did the awap ..

I did the swap on my 95' 318 and I think it greatly improved brakeing. The Calipers and rotors are 3 times the size of the 318 ones. My back rotors are the size of the front ones on a 318.

Warning: Because I did not do the swap complete which would include the spindles my e brake no longer works.

-Chad

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    unless you are doing serious racing (like on a race track with multiple hard brake zones in succession), none of the "bbk's" or m3/e46 upgrades are worth it. just get better brake pads and braided brake lines. spend all the cash you just saved on more driving schools to learn how to best use the excellent brakes these cars already come with.

marshall

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle
    unless you are doing serious racing (like on a race track with multiple hard brake zones in succession), none of the "bbk's" or m3/e46 upgrades are worth it. just get better brake pads and braided brake lines. spend all the cash you just saved on more driving schools to learn how to best use the excellent brakes these cars already come with.

marshall
    totally but they look cool as Fu*k!!! compared to 325 brakes.

My Cars
    96 328IS, CBR600 F3, 85 GS700 Cafe Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious
    totally but they look cool as Fu*k!!! compared to 325 brakes.
    I went with Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors, PBR metal master pads, and sprayed my calipers....

A nice improvement in looks, and more importantly breaking power. I don't take the car to the track so i can't comment on brake fade though

Total: $310 + $8.00 for paint.

My Cars
    E46iT, MK6 TDi, Z31Chump
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle

marshall
    Well, I say a brake upgrade is always worth the money....even if you rarely use/need it. With the best street pads (and 13" discs), I can get pad fade with a good spirited mountain run. When aproaching 300ft dropoffs with no guardrails you'll start looking hard at any improvement in fade resistance and consistency. Since you can't run ultra hi-temp race compounds on the street, the only other way to combat pad fade is to increase the thermal mass of the disc.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318is
    Okay, so I tihnk im goingot do it. they are from a 95 M3, and Im getting Calp, Rotors, Pads, SS Break Lines, and the spindals, for the Chip that I bought form that guy, that didnt work! SO IM GETN A HUGH DEAL, since all the shit I had to go threw! In total I have paynd 110 for it all! WOrht it guys?? wh00t
    Last edited by Engalwood; 10-05-2004 at 09:00 PM.
    92 318is, ///M3 Front bumper, ///M3 Rims, MOMO Jet Steering wheel,MOMO Hub, UUS SSK Evo 3,Bavarian Autosport Springs with Bilstien Sport Shocks,Rogue Engineering Clutch stop, Eibach Front and Rear Sweay bars LOTS MORE TO COME! SOON TO COME SUPER CHARGER!

My Cars
    1993 325i Mauritius Blue 4dr
    Quote Originally Posted by Engalwood
    Okay, so I tihnk im goingot do it. they are from a 95 M3, and Im getting Calp, Rotors, Pads, SS Break Lines, and the spindals, for the Chip that I bought form that guy, that didnt work! SO IM GETN A HUGH DEAL, since all the shit I had to go threw! In total I have paynd 110 for it all! WOrht it guys?? wh00t
    Nice. Thats an awesome deal.
    What it used to look like

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318is
    Maybe!

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Engalwood
    Are you sure everything works and is in good shape? If it is, it's a damn good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318is
    Yes, and he jsut threw in slotted rotters for the back as long as I pay for shipping, whoot

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    of course someone will come up with the extreme borderline street example...
    there is another way to combat pad fade....a good set of brake ducts. again, a bunch cheaper and probably more effective for street driving that a bbk.

braking technique also has a big effect on brake performance and fade. long partial pressure application of the brakes can cause them to overheat.

personally i wouldn't do "spirited mountain runs" on any brake system with 300ft dropoffs and no guardrails. even the best brake systems can break. sounds like zero room for error, mechanical or otherwise. potentially even full race brakes can fade if you drag the brake pedal down a long decline. just my opinion without knowing more complete details of the endeavour. where do you find any mountains east of the rockies anyway?

i keep my, ahh, spirited driving on a race track. in a race car. with full cage and safety gear. with the STOCK 325is brake system. never a fade problem, even in hour long races.

as someone mentioned in the thread, at least the bbk's and slotted/drilled/whatever rotors LOOK cool! maybe there is that 1% of the time that 1% of the drivers could actually use the increased capbability, but 99% of the time the other 99% of the drivers could have had better results by simply learning how to use the existing brakes better.

marshall
    SCCA 325is race car - hawk ht10 pads, bw brake cooling, braided lines, stock rotors and calipers, no abs

Quote Originally Posted by Atl3
    Well, I say a brake upgrade is always worth the money....even if you rarely use/need it. With the best street pads (and 13" discs), I can get pad fade with a good spirited mountain run. When aproaching 300ft dropoffs with no guardrails you'll start looking hard at any improvement in fade resistance and consistency. Since you can't run ultra hi-temp race compounds on the street, the only other way to combat pad fade is to increase the thermal mass of the disc.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318is
    BIGGER IS BETTER

My Cars
    miss my rieger 3, but love my new S2000!
    not necessarily from a performance stand point...but as far as looks, sure bigger is better
    ...'Cause every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser.
    And the best that you can hope for, is to die in your sleep'

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318is
    BIGGER IS BETTER< BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

My Cars
    none
    I know this thread is ANCIENT, but since it is listed in the FAQ list i thought I would add my input.
    My car is a 4dr 325i 5spd for reference.

I recently undertook the complete M3 swap after having serious lack of stopping power with my stock brakes on the street. (swapping paint in a residential zone is not my idea of fun so I figured i should do something about it!)

I looked around and saw Turner offered a front conversion set for $1500. I said to myself "hey I can do that, i see sets of calipers on ebay all the time for like $100" and so it started!

I used front spindles off a 98 Mcoupe, calipers from a 98 M3, stock rotors front and back, Hawk HP+ pads, and braided lines. (and yes my budget ended up around the $1400 by the time i was done but that does include other non brake items like wheels&tires)

The improvement over stock brakes is rediculous (of course I am using autocross pads which makes a huge difference as well). I recently attended an SCCA HPDE and I could outbrake everybody else in my run group. including an E46 m3 convert.

I would agree though that using fresh/true rotors and high performance pads will correct most issues with the stock brakes BUT if you want high performance with stock parts and a limited budget I HIGHLY suggest it.

A couple things to keep in mind: you are forced to run 17"+ rims after you do this swap and that increases future maintinence costs. the ride will change with the lower profile tires. M3 brakes with Hawks will put your face in the wheel if you dont have your seatbelt on...

thats about all I can think of for now. PM/e,ail if you got questions, i will try to answer them.
    WooT
    Gabriel Johnston
    Professional CAD Jockey
    Automotive Engineering Alumni - MSU, Mankato
    http://www.rallybimmer.com The never updated website

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmracerx
    The improvement over stock brakes is rediculous (of course I am using autocross pads which makes a huge difference as well). I recently attended an SCCA HPDE and I could outbrake everybody else in my run group. including an E46 m3 convert.
    lol so you can outbrake a 3600-3700lb car thats traveling faster at the end of the straights than you.
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    323i
    The best and most effective way to slow down is down gearing, full stop...

My Cars
    1995 325i 1985 325e 2007 330xi (ED)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmracerx

A couple things to keep in mind: you are forced to run 17"+ rims after you do this swap and that increases future maintinence costs. the ride will change with the lower profile tires. M3 brakes with Hawks will put your face in the wheel if you dont have your seatbelt on...
    ....Agree.......Seems to me that, unless you increase the amount of rubber on the road, your M3 brakes won't stop you any faster -especially if your car is equipped with ABS. -Just a thought.

My Cars
    1995 325i 1985 325e 2007 330xi (ED)
    Quote Originally Posted by 323iM
    The best and most effective way to slow down is down gearing, full stop...
    Could you expound on that statement?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast