Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 900+hp Turbo M3 Videos: Car is in intensive care unit

My Cars
    E36M3 Turbo 1100hp, E46M3 Turbo under surgery

900+hp Turbo M3 Videos: Car is in intensive care unit

I cannot make any vidoes of the 900+ hp Turbo S50B32. Help is appreciated.

For the last 3 months we have boost problems.

Due to boost problems we cannot make mpegs.

Set up:
    7.0:1 cr (JE)
    Arrow Preceision Forged Con Rods
    Cylinder head ported.
    Schrick valve springs, retainers.
    Garrett GT 42/51 Ball Bearing Turbo
    1600 cc injectors
    2 Aeromotive fuel pumps in the trunk
    2 Bosch fuel pumps in the fuel tank
    TSI Piggyback system (it has some of the stand alone capabilities)

2 months ago boost was:
    @ 5000 rpm in 3rd gear 33psi
    @ 8250 rpm in 3 rd gear 33 psi

Nowadays:
    @ 5000 rpm in 3rd gear 4 psi
    @ 8250 rpm in 3rd gear 28 psi

Peak boost has dropped from 33 psi to 28 psi (in 3rd gear). In higher gears boost goes up to 40 psi.

Moreover, at lower rpms there is no boost. From 5to 8k rpm boost goes from 4 psi to 28n psi.

We Checked for exhaust manifold cracks and found out 2 blownn exhaust gaskets. repaired and the problem is the same, it continues.

The Garrett's exhaust turbine wheel was damaged due to "back fire" and changed the complete turbocharger and no Improvement. Both the new and damaged exhaust turbine wheels produce the same boost. Weird!!!!

The blow off valves are not leaking.

Intercooler was checked for leaks. No leakage.

1- I was suspicious about the cams alignement. We found out that the exhaust camshaft was turned towards the intake camshaft approximately by 7-8 degrees. Would this increase overlap and cause loss of boost? By the way the DME recorded Camshaft and Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure. I guess the cams and crank are not properly aligned and that may cause boost leakage due to increased overlap.

2- The air filter was very dirty. Would this affect so much like 4 psi instead of 30 psi @5000 rpm?

3- I have replaced the rear muffler with a more restrictive one. In order to reduce noise. Would a restrictive exhaust system (rear muffler) cause boost drop?

4- Lastly, Double Vanos system may be malfunctioning. I ll try to remove Vanos electrical plugs and test. Does anyone know in detail how the Vanos system of the S50B32 affects overlap?

We checked the wastegate and it is fine. We put a stiffer spring and also a longer screw to push the sprinh harder. But nothing has changed. What does it mean to have little boost at 5000 rpm but having the boost increased from 5k onwards?

Any ideas would make me happy, gain boost from 5000 rpm onwards and make some nice mpegs.
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

E46 M3 SMG under turbo surgery

My Cars
    vroom vroom beep beep

no video but what about pictures?

My Cars
    318is
    sounds like your engine is in very poor shape.

Why not just strip it out and start from scratch? Sounds like you have plenty of Moolah to play with, and time wise, i would bet that it would be just as quick to do everything properly again, than to try and find a problem that is hiding. Perhaps it's not just one problem, but a multitude of problems!

Start again, you will feel better about it as you know everything will be perfect.
    ------------------------
    ---------------------------

318is - Now with Added INSTAPOWER...
    Eaton M45 SC @ 5.5Psi

---------------------------
    -----------------------

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Problem is, he spends it all on hardware, then skimps on tuning... then wonders why the
    car runs like ass, and wonders why no one believes his 900hp... other than the fact
    there is no dyno...

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    see sig
    IMHO, 900hp and piggyback shouldn't be in the same sentence.
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    05 Yukon Denali,01 MB s430,99 Tacoma,95 M3 Turbo
    How about a couple of digital pictures of the carnage so we could get more of a visual of what you're working with?
    1995 M3 Custom Turbo, Turbonetics T66 BB,72lb injectors, Sias Tuning PnP Tec 3, IBM T30,PLX M250 wideband O2 sensor,Blitz SBC-iD Built low CR 8.5:1 motor CP Pistons,ARP head & main studs,Metric Mechanic HP Valve springs,walbro 255hp,BMP FPR,Modified fuel rail # 6 SS feed line,3in ss custom magnaflow exhaust,Lower level turbo intake,AA six puck disc, Spec Stage IV PP ,AA differential bracket,AA strut tower brace,UUC UD Pullies,UUC short shifter,UUC tranny mounts,UUC clutch stop,Fluidyne HP radiator.M3 LTW wheels Est..1001 rwhp!

Http://members.cardomain.com/bassmasterM3
    (DIY custom turbo)

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster
    How about a couple of digital pictures of the carnage so we could get more of a visual of what you're working with?
    Turkey has a ban on digital and video cameras. I have a friend from there who is in prison because he tried to videotape his car! A friend of his was deported for trying to bring in a dyno.

Maybe an artist could draw a picture of what the engine looks like?

Just messing with you Mert Oh....and I really do have a good friend from Turkey, but he's working in Germany right now.

How about a GTech Pro? Those are really cheap.

What I don't get is how can a 255 rear tire hold 1,000 horsepower. Even at 100mph that would be a scary ride. We have cars around with 800 horsepower and 345 rear tires...and that doesn't even seem safe.

techno550 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    Mert,
    Check your cam timing. Lock the crank at TDC and reset your cams. Overlap is bad. I have no idea on your double vanos question though. The air filter won't make for low boost at low RPM if you can still make decent boost at higher RPM. The restrictive exhaust can hurt peak boost, and will also likely hurt spool rate. Chances are the wastegate wasn't opening at 4psi at all anyway, so messing with the WG shouldn't change anything. The first thing I would attack though is cam timing.

Good luck.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    wide hooptie
    here we go again....

"If you want to see misery, give people more than what they need." -C.S. Lewis

My Cars
    Ford Ranger
    Mert, go with a fresh engine. Ship the car to a reputable tuner in Germany or something and get that baby working right.

Also, if you made a video of what the car was doing out on the road people could probably help you better. Getting a visual/hearing the car, a good tuner might know what the problem is. Good luck.

My Cars
    ACS S7 ACS WIDEBODY M3

'Ye have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth, but I say unto you, Resist not him that is evil.'

'Vengeance is mine; I will repay.' -- Rom. xii. 19

My Cars
    Ford Ranger
    I have a video of a Turbo Hayabusa making 500rwhp. Why do you guys take every chance you get to bring Mert down?

My Cars
    2004 545i, 1995 M3, 1995 Civic "Hooptie"
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsibal
    here we go again....

My Cars
    E46 328
    Ship your engine to a German, Swedish or Norwegian tuner, plugg and play when it gets back!

My Cars
    Thanks for all the nice help.

I should not have asked for help.

Videos will come one day. Those who do not believe will believe and will daydream of this M3.

I never lied about the car. We ran maximum 44 psi . And at these boost levels only some of the Supra Community members can be helpful. Most of you are limited at 21 psi due o head lift off.

The engine is built by DA MOTORSPORT in pefect condition. Rings seal very good. Oil consumption is where it should be. Nı need to send the engine to other tuners.

IN fact I HAVE ASKED WHETHER ANY OF YOU HAD SUCH A BOOST PROBLEM AND IT MIGHT BE HELPFUL. MAYBE a small detail that would have come from you, instead of criticism could have helped. Anyhow.....

Those who are suspicious about the 900+ hp rating and the presence of the car will see this week pictures. If you have seen my mpegs vs. Diablo and Modena and Porsche Turbo, those were made when the car had ASA (INFINITAS) bone stock kit 415 hp ONLY. Many things changed. We now rev 8,5k. JEs, Arrow Precision forged rods, Cylinder head work, huge fuel system such as 1600 cc injectors, bigger ID fuel lines, 4 fuel pumps...Exhaust manifold manufacture took 10 weeks.

Piggyback: I KNOW piggyback systems are npt as improved and advancesd as stand alones. My Supra friend and other guys here use AEM and Iknow it is superior than my TSI.
    HOWEVER; TSI is not a piggyback. It has some of the stand alone features. I.e it takes over fuel map if you choose. This is a stand alone feature. I can adjust air fuel ratio at 44 psi with the 1600 cc injectors with the help of TSI. Run up to 210 mph with no detonation. So for now TSI is enough. I ll buy a mOtec which can also control double Vanos system but it costs 8500 USD with the Vanos control unit.

Sorry for taking your valuable time. This will be the last question for my bloody M3. I won't ask anything for my M3.

Mert TASTAN
    www.da-motorsport.com
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Mert, don't let the doubters get you down!

I have a good idea, why don't you run the M3 monster at the drag strip? You can ignore the 60' time and ET, let's just concentrate on the trap speed.

The trap speed is a sure indicator of engine power, it's a great way to silence doubters.

As an indicator I have a bit over 600 bhp, so with your 900+ bhp (a good third more than me) your M3 will run much faster than 136 mph in the quarter mile (which is what mine does).

This will silence many of your critics! Easily done! No video needed! No dyno needed! Go! GO! GO!!!!!
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde

I have a good idea, why don't you run the M3 monster at the drag strip? You can ignore the 60' time and ET, let's just concentrate on the trap speed.

The trap speed is a sure indicator of engine power, it's a great way to silence doubters.

As an indicator I have a bit over 600 bhp, so with your 900+ bhp (a good third more than me) your M3 will run much faster than 136 mph in the quarter mile (which is what mine does).

This will silence many of your critics! Easily done! No video needed! No dyno needed! Go! GO! GO!!!!!

his car would need to be tuned first right?

My Cars
    Turbo

not sure why everyone is doubting

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde

I don't think it's the fact is that no one believes him really, I think it's the fact that he asks alot of retarded questions (no offense Mert) but makes alot of claims with no substantial proof or evidence..things his team of highly experienced mechanics and contacts should have answers for, or at least be able to trouble shoot on these these issues......

boost leak/creep/overboost issues:
    1. wastegate is malfuntioning
    2. cracked/leaking hose somewhere
    3. fuel pressure falling off at points (pumps malfuntioning)(FPR going bad)
    4. BOV not set properly/malfuntioning
    5. voltage fluctuation can cause those symptoms
    6. turbo taking a dump
    7. hoses routed incorrectly to the wastegate and boost controller
    8. faulty/incorrectly set boost controller
    9. leaking intercooler
    10. intake hose leaking

Let's say the skeptisim is just because he has not given any sort of pacification to the "critics" as you call them/us......I remember when I was literally laughed at in my face by claiming my power goals/figures by reputable but non beliving BMW guys on the potency of the 3.5L I6 motor...so I had to ..."PUT UP OR SHUT UP" and so I did......alot of us have done that ....

So I don't think it is really a personal issue so therefore Mert like Mr.Blonde says don't get down.....GET MAD AND EVEN....
    give your team a chance to work it out go back to basics and then retrace everything....

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Being a tooth or two off on cam timing is BAD NEWS. That's a really good way to crunch valves when VANOS does its thing. Some cars with really large stock cams(like the S50B32) will really not like the messed up cam timing, but I have seen other more sedate engines tolerate it, but just make much less power.

...and really - how hard is it to clean an air filter/get a new one? I can clean a K&N style filter in 5 minutes then let it dry for a few hrs and oil it up.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    As long as Mert is using a rising rate FPR for fuel, I will remain skeptical about his HP claims.
    Once he understands tuning is his biggest handicap (IHMO), and attempts to properly tune his
    beast, the big HP claims will have some validity.

Spring for a Motec, DTA, TEC3, AEM, something that you can actually tune that
    pile of parts with.

Until then, stfu the 900hp crap.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey
    As long as Mert is using a rising rate FPR for fuel, I will remain skeptical about his HP claims.
    Once he understands tuning is his biggest handicap (IHMO), and attempts to properly tune his
    beast, the big HP claims will have some validity.

Spring for a Motec, DTA, TEC3, AEM, something that you can actually tune that
    pile of parts with.

Until then, stfu the 900hp crap.

Word.

My Cars
    BAd MONKEY

I have no rising rate regulator. It is Aeromotive's biggest regulator is only adjustable. Fuel pressure is set at 45 psi.

I ll write more tomorrow, after testing the M3.
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

My Cars
    M3
    If you can afford to constantly be rebuilding your engine you can afford a digital camera and pay to have someone take and post a picture of your car that says "mert was here".
    Steve

My Cars
    I have a digital cam. As soon as things will be OK I ll make many pics and mpegs. I run on high boost and this is my 1st forced inducted car. So I needed time and hope and pray that the "great end" is coming soon.
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast