Thread: OBDII headers for my OBDI all done

My Cars
    95 M3

OBDII headers for my OBDI all done

Last few weeks I bought some OBDII headers for my OBDI car. Well I finally got around to welding the peices in and shined them up a bit. Hopefully this is all that has to be done. Does anyone know wether I should use OBDI or OBDII gaskets. Im not sure if theres a difference but if there is which one should I use?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    B5.5 Passat Wagon
    I don't want to get you worried or anything, but that doesn't look like the weld is going to be air tight. It really has to be completely flush with the rest of the sealing surface all the way across. Remember, exhaust gases are extremely hot and will attempt to flow to the area of lowest pressure (external of the headers). Anyone else have an opinion?

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    hammdy is right...it should be completely flushed and "filled". once your headers heat up...the metal tends to be soft, and you could expirience exhaust leak.

btw...just use obd1 exhaust gasket.
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    none
    damn man get those things off your white sheets

My Cars
    95 M3
    OK ill weld them up all the way.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I agree with the others, you'll want to fill in that weld. Your best bet is probably to over weld it, then grind/sand it down.
    Drew | Dinomite.net
    1997 Boston Green ///M3 Coupe Lightweight wheels, non-luxury, no sunroof.
    1994 Volvo 940 Race Wagon

My Cars
    No Car
    and while you are at it PLEASE grind down those ports, all that weld flash and imperfections reaks havoc on air flow. make them glass smooth.

My Cars
    don't ask
    I would consider welding it all up and having a machine shop mill the entire surface flat to ensure that you get good sealing with the manifold gaskets. Any leak that close to the head is going to be baaaaaad....
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    82 320I, 85 325E, 91 318
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Jokster
    hammdy is right...it should be completely flushed and "filled". once your headers heat up...the metal tends to be soft, and you could expirience exhaust leak.

btw...just use obd1 exhaust gasket.

I was thinking he should use the OBD2 gaskets. His 3.0 liter head exhaust ports are the same size as the 3.2 liters. And the headers are for an OBD2. Probably wouldn't make an difference, but their is a big size difference in the gaskets.
    <font size="2">95 M3 (10/95) 3.2 OBD1

(BOTTOM END) 3.2 liter S52 bored out to 86.9mm, 11.2/1 compression, Wiseco pistons, Carrillo rods, TMS oil bafle (TOP END) Schrick cams (264/256), P&P and freshened 3.2 head, and Stickley software.

TMS flywheel, Euro HFM, Cosmos Racing 3.5" CAI, Bored TB, fan delete, 24 ib. injectors, UUC pulleys, UUC tranny mounts, GC Track Coilovers(ft. 525 rear 575), x-brace, RD Sway bars, Strut bars, Adj. rear controlarms, Adj. front camber plates, Powerflex LCAB, AA RTAB, 3.46 diff. LSD w/ 40%, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust DTM, 17x8.5 Kosei K1`s, 255x40x17 Victoracers, Carbon Fiber hood