Thread: ICV cleaning instructions for E39

My Cars
    01 740, 81 745, etc.

ICV cleaning instructions for E39

Okay, last weekend i cleaned my idle control valve because the car wouldn't start and hold an idle. a few others have had this problem so i decided to post some instructions to help you if you choose to do this. it can be done as regular maintenance too.

symptoms: car will start but not hold an idle and just drop in RPM until the engine dies. may also cause (auto) transmission to shift hard between gears. or the car is just idling or shifting poorly.

*note* i am not a certified mechanic. i'm not liable if you screw something up

tools:
    • 10mm deep socket
    • 2" extension
    • 1/4" drive ratchet
    • size 5 allen wrench
    • flat head screw driver
    • carb cleaner
    • cleaning rag

heres what the TIS instructions tell you to do (mine are more complete):

procedure:
    first thing to do is get the intake off. this will be a little different for everyone depending on if you have a stock airbox, store bought intake, or "frankenstein" CAI like i do. get the darn thing off. if you put it in you can get it out. make sure to disconnect the MAF sensor too. i disconnected mine at the rubber elbow and before my downpipe:

TIS procedure for taking out stock airbox:

disconnect the tube coming into the rubber elbow. pull on it. i found it easiest to reach under the intake tubing with my right hand. this tube goes to the ICV. remember that for later if you lose it:

next is to take off the throttle butterfly thing sitting in front of the throttle body. using the size 5 allen wrench loosen the two screws holding it on. the other screw is diagonal form the one shown. i disconnected the connector on top and set the part (still attached to the cable) to the side in the engine bay:

next we take off the throttle body. grab the ratchet, extension, and 10mm socket and crank off the 4 bolts holding it to the manifold. i suggest doing the back 2 first. theres room back there for the ratchet.

i like to leave the 4 bolts in their bracket and pull that out as one piece.

while you have the TB out you might as well clean that as well. grab the carb cleaner and rag. spray some cleaner on the rag and rub on the inside of the TB. clean every nook and cranny you can. heres a pic half way done. he black ring on the right side of the butterfly is what i cleaned off. big difference:

i layed the TB down right next to the other throttle butterfly elbow thing. heres what things look like in my engine bay now:

the ICV is the aluminum part in the middle of the above pic. you can see both hoses (their clamps) that go into the valve. *note* on the top of your unit you will not have a hose. you will have a gasket pluggin directly into the manifold that you just yank down on. you will be cleaning these inlets later. take not of the 3 bolts on the bracket holding the ICV in place. those are next. again using the 10mm take these 3 bolts loose:
    [img]http://68.6.62.91:81/~photos/albums/album172/DSC04489.jpg[img]

this is where you get to do it yourself. disconnect the ICV from the manifold by pulling down. next you have to disconnect the connector on the back of the unit. its just like the other ones. with that done you should be able to pull the ICV out. disconnect the remaining hose (the one that went to the intake elbow) and prepare for cleaning.

take your carb cleaner and spray it directly into the the inlets of the ICV. if you're like me the carb cleaner will go in clear and come out black. this means we're actually cleaning! keep spraying the cleaner into both sides and swirling around until the fluid coming out is clear. (if you want you can do the chicken dance with it too. that way you can say you've done the chicken dance with an ICV! i may have pretended i as rambo and did a sweeping gun motion like in the movie. i had my shirt off too...it all makes sense, trust me.) i sprayed compressed air in to the inlets after i was done to make sure it was nice and dry in there.

now you're ready to reinstall. everything goes right back in except in reverse order. make sure all hose clamps are tight and connectors connected. start your car up and enjoy!

i hope this was helpful to you. if you have any questions post them in this thread because someone else might have the same question.
    Last edited by Skipper5; 02-03-2005 at 07:02 PM.

740i, 745i, 240SX, 240SX, Bronco
    Retired: 01 M5, 98 528i
    -Jensen

My Cars
    01 740, 81 745, etc.
    and heres a link to the V8 procedure:
    http://members.cox.net/rsm540i/ICV_Removal.htm

the I6 guys should check out that link too. it has good pictures of the ICV closeup. i didn't have any because i actually did this procedure last weekend before i took these pics this morning.

-Jensen

My Cars
    Beefcake 94' 325iS
    really really nice write up! Goodwork !

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    is there any gaskets i must buy to do this?

David

My Cars
    01 740, 81 745, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by 95bmwpwer
    is there any gaskets i must buy to do this?

David
    no sir. simply take out, clean, and reinstall.

-Jensen

My Cars
    POS
    Pics are gone. Fix!
    Sunny Skies

My Cars
    potato
    nice - I was extremely relieved how easy it is to access and clean the ICV after doing a little contortion act getting the ICV out of my E36 325is

My Cars
    e39 '98 540i6, 2007 B7
    How were you able to copy and paste out of the TIS program? Mine will not allow it.

My Cars
    98 540Ia
    Pix is gone..fix it plzzzzzz

My Cars
    01 740, 81 745, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJKraft View Post
    Pix is gone..fix it plzzzzzz
    the pix are lost for a while. they're no longer available on my old server and are currently on a hard drive in storage.

540 instructions are listed in thie link below...same as shown above.

-Jensen

My Cars
    98 540Ia

Thanx...but...

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper5 View Post
    the pix are lost for a while. they're no longer available on my old server and are currently on a hard drive in storage.

540 instructions are listed in thie link below...same as shown above.

I just cleaned ICV. wasn't dirty as i thought. just little of black grease on it..
    unfortunately, I broke rubber pad from metal mount. one of those two heads..if anyone know the part number. really appreciate.
    Well.. I guess. it wasn't ICV problem i guess. still RPM unsteady(up and down). also, "check engine" still on. plz...help~~

My Cars
    540i 6mt
    Quote Originally Posted by DJKraft View Post

I just cleaned ICV. wasn't dirty as i thought. just little of black grease on it..
    unfortunately, I broke rubber pad from metal mount. one of those two heads..if anyone know the part number. really appreciate.
    Well.. I guess. it wasn't ICV problem i guess. still RPM unsteady(up and down). also, "check engine" still on. plz...help~~
    I had similar symptoms on my volkswagen, turned out to be the MAF. I've heard the bmw mafs are quiet sketchy as well. Also check the Cam Position Sensor and 02 sensors.
    Kevin 1997 540i6 (sold T_T)

My Cars
    98 540Ia
    Good news..
    after I cleaned ICV,(not 100% clean just wipe out with paper towle). "check engine" light is off. ^0^ after two starts. but still engine running little rough. Thanx Skipper~~~
    but..Still need that part number. >.<.the rubber holding ICV. also what should I use for cleaning ICV any particular cleaning stuff from auto shop???

My Cars
    98 540Ia
    I just find out part I need it. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=r10>14</TD><TD id=r11>RUBBER MOUNTING</TD><TD class=p1 id=r10>D=46MM</TD><TD id=r11>1</TD><TD id=r10></TD><TD id=r11>09/1998</TD><TD id=r10 noWrap>13411736144</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Whoever willing to clean ICV. VERY CAREFUL with that rubber mounting. those two heads r very weak,and easy to break..
    Now, what should I use for cleaning ICV..Just use any carb cleaner?? any other stuff I can use it ?? cuz, I dont wanna spray that damage ICV.

My Cars
    00' 540 six speed/jeep cj5
    does a 99 and up have a ICV??? thanks And location if so
    540 sport 6 speed,short throw, M-tech with CF hamann lip, smoked lights, 12K xenons, 19" challenge wheels staggerd, 02' Nav system, Painted wood(interior), Dinan Intake,Intake Manifold,exhaust, software and prolly some more stuff..

Gsxr 1000 built up a Lil....

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    no, the late model e39's have an electronically controlled throttle.

My Cars
    528i e39
    Hello guys. I have the same problem
    I would like to clean my ICV
    Can somebody tell me if my car has it
    I have e39 528i 1999
    thanks

My Cars
    2000 BMW 728I
    Dont suppose anyone has these pictures any more? or another detailed how-to guide somewhere on the net? Will be tackling this task tomorrow...