Thread: throttle acting weird when cold

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury

throttle acting weird when cold

Hey, My 97 M3 is acting weird when the engine is cold when I pull out of the driveway i have to hev higher to still be able to move, like normaly I let the clutch go at 1-2k and when the engine is cold I have to do it at at least 2k. Its like the engine has alot less power when cold is this normal? My 325i doesnt do that ;>

Tom

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    I had some similar symptoms which went away when I changed my spark plugs. If your plugs have more than 10,000 miles on them I would give that a try and see if it helps.

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury
    Ill try that. Thanks

Tom

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I have the same issue, and changing spark plugs did *not* solve it. I just live with it now.

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    same thing, I think its just the normal cold-start behavior. If you let it idle for 1 or 2 minutes it should be ok. I usually let it idle for 20-30 secs then just go and take it easy. Usually its fine by the time I'm taking off from my second stop sign. I'll be changing plugs this weekend, will let you know if it helps.

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury
    well, I usualy let it idle for 30s then until the engine gets warm I dont take it above 3-3.5k rpm... but my 325i doesnt have that problem at all. I just start it and no problems what-so-ever all the power there from the start.
    Im gonna try changing the spark plugs.

Tom

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    Well, yeah, you really shouldn't drive it hard when it's cold anyway. Staying under 3.5krpm is a good rule of thumb. But if backing out of the driveway is a problem I would try new plugs and maybe a bottle of Techron or equivalent fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank next time you fill up. That's what fixed it for me.

My Cars
    2007 JB 335i Coupe
    Bumping an old thread......

I am having the same issue it seems. When I turn on the car, I let it idle for ~30 secs. When I put it in gear and try to move for the first time, it is like the throttle isn't opening at all (and I usually stall or come close). Then, the next time I hit the accelerator, the thing revs like crazy (as if to compensate for not revving before). However, as soon as I start driving the problem goes away. It is very perplexing. Are the throttles on OBDII Ms electronic or cable actuated? Anyone else come up with a solution other than spark plugs? I have the full Dinan package as well as the Vortech S/C, for reference. Thanks so much.

Mike