Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dyno results...

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    '96 M3 Turbo, '04 Yamaha R6

Dyno results...

Well... the long awaited results are here, finally! Nick made a dyno appointment this morning to see what the car has been doing this whole time. The results are pretty amazing, I think. Please keep in mind that these results are SAE with 5-smoothing and done in over 90F degree conditions with 46% relative humidity. SAE correction was only .99 for these conditions, so hopefully I'll see better numbers on my dyno in better weather.

Anyway, the numbers are 348rwhp and 342torque at 8psi of boost.

I'm very happy!

Boris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '96 Cosmos Black M3 422rwhp/407rwtq SAE @ 13psi / 444rwhp/444rwtq SAE @ 14.5psi
    Engine/Drivetrain: Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo TT Turbo Exhaust, M50 Manifold, TMS Oil Baffles, SSR Comps, SPEC Stage II Clutch, UUC SSK, Titanium Cavallino Ti-130R Shift Knob, UUC TME, EMC Diff Bolt, RCCA's. Suspension: GC Coil-overs, GC RSMs, GC RTABs, GC Trans Mount; H&R SB. Instrumentation: VDO Boost, VDO Oil Press, VDO Oil Temp, VDO Water Temp, BMW Traffic Pro Navigation, Valentine One TODO: W/A Injection

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    Sorry, I forgot to add to the above... my engine is COMPLETELY stock... I still have cats, I have the stock M52 manifold, etc. (now you see why I'm impressed! ).

Boris
    Engine/Drivetrain: Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo TT Turbo Exhaust, M50 Manifold, TMS Oil Baffles, SSR Comps, SPEC Stage II Clutch, UUC SSK, Titanium Cavallino Ti-130R Shift Knob, UUC TME, EMC Diff Bolt, RCCA's. Suspension: GC Coil-overs, GC RSMs, GC RTABs, GC Trans Mount; H&R SB. Instrumentation: VDO Boost, VDO Oil Press, VDO Oil Temp, VDO Water Temp, BMW Traffic Pro Navigation, Valentine One TODO: W/A Injection

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    congrats Boris.. Those are incredible numbers, sure to be helped by the more favorable NorthEast climate. And on low boost, no less... wow!
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="1"></font></b><br />
    The infamous "Paul E." and I after some detailing...

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Congratulations Boris! Those numbers are awesome for cats, stock motor & 8PSI!!! YES!

M52 manifold? I thought you had an M3 man?
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

///3oris is offline &quot;Diogenes the Cynic&quot;
    My Cars
    Thanks guys... Nick definitely deserves a lot of credit for this! He's the man!

I duno... M52, S52... whatever it is, it's not the "M50" manifold. Although I have one at home and at some point want to see the difference in power with and without it. I'll write about it when I get there and the time comes.

Thanks again,

Boris

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Well, Finally! Whew. What amazes me about these numbers is that this looks to be the ninth dyno run of the session.. Now, its 95 friekin degrees down there.. I saw what happened to me at 87 on run 2, due to terrible heat soak.. So that these numbers came from Run 9, tells me not only the tuning job was great, but that youve got an awsome intercooler, and related parts. In addition, is this not the BEST afr curve youve ever seen?! Well, Nick sure has thrown down the gauntlet; not the CHALLENGE gauntlet, although there will undoubtedly be those who will want to challenge ( ), but the EXPECTATION gauntlet!! Thats Right bubbie; Im EXPECTIN'! Certainly im not expecting anywhere near your trq values..Although, even now, I can match your trq above 5800, anyway LOL.. But an AFR that looks even Close to that will get his Arse a Big Fat Kiss in Burdines Window! I expect to see another 15 whp and ft lbs out of it when you come back home and we go over to bristol for some dyno results in a more 'Reasonable' climate . Very nice work to all involved. And it Sure will be nice to be able to Talk about this project, FINALLY!
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe, Nissan truck, 1998 M3 sedan
    Looks a little weak to me I'm just kidding. those numbers are amazing for the mods you DON'T have. I am completely impressed. Ole' Nick will throw an AFR on you won't he! Now put a 3" on it and the M50 and get your ass up here with me
    Minor intake and exhaust mods
    Technique Tuning software
    385.5whp 351wtq @ 8.5psi
    Unorthodox underdrive pulleys
    GC track/school suspension
    18x8 and 18.9.5 Forgeline Comps

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3
    M52 manifold? I thought you had an M3 man?
    He does have an M3. The M52 intake manifold is what's used on the 96-99 obd2 6-cylinders. The M50 manifold is used on the 92-95 OBD1 6-cylinders. The M50 manifold flows more than the M52 manifold.
    Nick Glantzis
    2005 330i ZHP auto with Technique Tuning turbo kit (currently For Sale)

My Cars
    Bmw E36 330i , Mazda 3
    Congrats on your setup Boris. I love the flat a/f curve and that is where I would want mine close to low 12 if Im using no water injection to keep things safe.

I hvae a few question maybe you or Nick can explain is it becuase of the turbo why you have dips in the hp graphs ?? From5700 to 6000rpm and then from 6100 to 6300 then the power climbs and then drops off sharply by 6350.

Is the power drop off because of the smaller intake runners M52 vs the M50 ??

I forgot what size turbo are you using ??
    AA Stage 1 Gen III, BMP head gasket, Bored Throttle Body, 3.0"DnPipe & Custom exhaust with AA Gen 2, Aquamist 1s water/methanol injection,
    Last dynojet Aug 02 248c SAE 369whp/354ft-lbs at 10.5psi, 1/4mile 12.6@116mph
    New Sept 02 Head work and exhaust porting, April 04:UUC Pulleys, Turbo to intercooler pipe 2.5" Aug 04 3.5"HFM,11.5psi

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Mark, the dip up top is due to the EBC (ProfecB SpecII). The gain setting wasn't high enough, and the boost was actually tapering off a bit up top (slightly less than 8psi).

edit: or, it just could be the 'nature of the beast'
    Last edited by NickG; 07-20-2004 at 06:02 PM.
    Nick Glantzis

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG
    He does have an M3. The M52 intake manifold is what's used on the 96-99 obd2 6-cylinders. The M50 manifold is used on the 92-95 OBD1 6-cylinders. The M50 manifold flows more than the M52 manifold.
    Thanks Nick! BMW trying to confuse us...S50/S52, engine m50/M52 engine, m50/m52 manifold on S50/s52 engine. Jeesh! :
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    I understand.......the S50 is the Sport version of the M50 (hence the 'S').

The S52 is the Sport version of the M52. At least, that's how I think of it
    Nick Glantzis

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    wow, good job Nick. Im not surprised at how well it turned out!

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    [sawzall]Catalytic Convertors[/sawzall]

My Cars
    1995 S/C 540i/6spd 4.4L...1990 535i/5spd
    Way to go Boris and great job Nick.Boris did you wear your scarf and pipe?

My Cars
    Bmw E36 330i , Mazda 3
    Yea Boris drop the cats and put in a good 3.0" free flow exhaust in there if you think that baby spools up nicely wait till you experience it.

Nick the a/f is perfect I see high 11's where the turbo start buliding boost towards max torque after 4000rpm+ at what rpm does max boost comes in ?

Maybe in time Boris will get bored and crank the boost to 10psi and feel it come alive even more.

I like that by 3500rpm you are already at 300ft/lbs.
    Last edited by M3TurboCa; 07-20-2004 at 07:07 PM.
    AA Stage 1 Gen III, BMP head gasket, Bored Throttle Body, 3.0"DnPipe & Custom exhaust with AA Gen 2, Aquamist 1s water/methanol injection,
    New Sept 02 Head work and exhaust porting, April 04:UUC Pulleys, Turbo to intercooler pipe 2.5" Aug 04 3.5"HFM,11.5psi

My Cars
    Yeah, I thought about removing the cats, Nick had suggested it for more power, but with the power I'm getting I don't see a need for more power at this point. I agree... if I didn't have the cats the top end would look so much better. Maybe I'll do that in the future if I feel I don't have enough power. There's always the 'legal' factor, though... *shrug*

Jimmy, LOL!

M3TurboCa, actually... on the street I get full boost right around 3k RPM... the dynojet doesn't offer much load so the curve looks worse than it would on a loaded dyno.

Finally, has anyone else noticed that the boost falls off when you're on the dyno? Even though it's completely stable on the street? Must be the EBC, I guess... could be that the load (or lack of it) is different on the Dynojet.

Boris

My Cars
    Bmw E36 330i , Mazda 3
    No Boris that is plain wrong to say for now you have enough power.

Let me rephrase what you meant if you dont mind. When I'm used to this power in a few weeks I will install the free flow and dump the cats to gain even better response and power. Oh by the way installing a turbo who said it was legal anyways so drop the damm cats one more car aint going to make me breath better who are you Mr. Green

Full boost by 3000rpm that is good.

Yes on the dyno once the motor spins up that 3200lbs drum there is no more constant load to overcome like getting wind resistance on the road so you drop boost at higher rpm like when I did mine too. It normally drops back 1psi.

I'm hoping with the new 2.5" pipe that my drop wont be noticed.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by M3TurboCa
    No Boris that is plain wrong to say for now you have enough power.
    :

Thanks for the response... LOL!

Boris

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe, Nissan truck, 1998 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by M3TurboCa
    Yes on the dyno once the motor spins up that 3200lbs drum there is no more constant load to overcome like getting wind resistance on the road so you drop boost at higher rpm like when I did mine too. It normally drops back 1psi.

Maybe it is both of you guys having restrictive exhaust. I have not noticed any fall off of boost. I normally gain about a half a psi at the very end of the run. This could be because my exhaust is out flowing my wastegate though. I do notice that street boost and dyno boost are not the same. I have to turn it up on the dyno and then turn it back down to maintain normall street boost (8.5psi)
    Minor intake and exhaust mods
    Technique Tuning software
    385.5whp 351wtq @ 8.5psi
    Unorthodox underdrive pulleys
    GC track/school suspension
    18x8 and 18.9.5 Forgeline Comps

My Cars
    05 Yukon Denali,01 MB s430,99 Tacoma,95 M3 Turbo
    Great #'s Boris....Fabulous tuning Nick. The A/F is one of envy! Keep up the good work. I think those #'s are much better than the most popular turbo tuner.
    1995 M3 Custom Turbo, Turbonetics T66 BB,72lb injectors, Sias Tuning PnP Tec 3, IBM T30,PLX M250 wideband O2 sensor,Blitz SBC-iD Built low CR 8.5:1 motor CP Pistons,ARP head & main studs,Metric Mechanic HP Valve springs,walbro 255hp,BMP FPR,Modified fuel rail # 6 SS feed line,3in ss custom magnaflow exhaust,Lower level turbo intake,AA six puck disc, Spec Stage IV PP ,AA differential bracket,AA strut tower brace,UUC UD Pullies,UUC short shifter,UUC tranny mounts,UUC clutch stop,Fluidyne HP radiator.M3 LTW wheels Est..1001 rwhp!

Http://members.cardomain.com/bassmasterM3
    (DIY custom turbo)

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    >>The S52 is the Sport version of the M52. At least, that's how I think of it <<

But the S and M motors are the same motors, arent they? What is it.. another 'marketing thing'?

>>Finally, has anyone else noticed that the boost falls off when you're on the dyno?<<

This sounds like its addessed to turbo guys only, right? With the belt making the boost, we dont need to worry bout trivial stuff like that... lol..

>>Oh by the way installing a turbo who said it was legal anyways <<

Being its a daily driver, Im pretty sure Boris wanted to keep it legal. Just cause its an aftermarket turbo doesnt make it illegal, right? Now, if he had gone Standalone, thats another story.. But then, Nick would never speak to him again. just kidding...
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster
    Great #'s Boris....Fabulous tuning Nick. The A/F is one of envy! Keep up the good work. I think those #'s are much better than the most popular turbo tuner.
    Thanks Bassmaster
    Nick Glantzis

My Cars
    RT E36 328ti Turbo
    Congrats ///3oris

very nice numbers
    RAiMA
    Old RT E36 S/C'd 318ti Sports 13.318 @ 105.99mph
    New RT E36 Turbo 328ti Sports 12.25 @ 123mph
    BMW E39 528i Touring
    Performance at its best

My Cars
    95 M3(T04R)Turbo,05 350Z
    Congrats numbers are amazing graet job guys Nick,Boris.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast